Lack of pace in the midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

True, we dont have much midfield pace but neither do Geelong really. They just play on more than we do.

Disagree, did you see when Geelong were overlapping through the midfield and our players were trying to chase? Looked incredibly slow, Trengove especially.

Neeld and Craig must move heaven and earth to get this kid to the MFC at seasons end.

Leave no stone unturned.

We have the ass satisfy GC in a trade, the only problem is that we need Bennell to want to come here. On a positive note his brother plays for us.

We will see.

i thought they were cousins? I think Bennell is a pipedream he'd want to back to WA anyway.

Sorry mate, flat out disagree he is currently worth a top five selection in a 'superdraft'.

Even then I'd rather find a way to trade our 2nd compo pick (around 12) and a player for the lad, as he's out of contract if we can convince him he should want to come to us... we can avoid paying overs.

Top 5 picks net you midfielders like Pendlebury, Cotchin, Martin, Griffen, Cooney, Thomas, Judd, Ball, Hodge (the last three being in a 'superdraft').

Been a bit selective with your picks there. A top 5 midfielder pick could net you a Masten, Morton, Xavier Ellis, Tambling, Mclean, Ray, Sylvia, Brennan.

Dangerfield is a jet and starting to find more easy ball then his usual 20 contested.

He is a top 5 pick no question. Adelaide will laugh at the suggestion of a pick 12 and a player.

And superdraft means deeper drafts. More better players in the picks btw 10-30 mark. superdraft doesn't mean a top 5 pick will be better player then previous years top 5.

If we can net Dangerfield with 4 or 5, do it.

Disagree, did you see when Geelong were overlapping through the midfield and our players were trying to chase? Looked incredibly slow, Trengove especially.

I thought it was ore like this too, but even worse was the Geelong spread. Difficult to see on TV but there were some shots of Geelong players just sprinting straight past hordes of dees players that weren't even in the same league of fitness and pace.

Maybe Neeld was on to something when he said our running was nowhere near other AFL clubs when he arrived at the club. The game style does also make us look slow, but when you can't cover the other team's spread, you will struggle. HAppened against the Tigers as well, their sprinting from the contest or stoppage or turnover in all directions meant they had free players running through the midfield all day.

This is why I think we should do away with the zone thing that we haven't been able to master at all ever really, and just man teams up and make it a slog (more than we already do). At least then we force a contest and make our players accountable. Maybe I'm thinking too simply though

Been a bit selective with your picks there. A top 5 midfielder pick could net you a Masten, Morton, Xavier Ellis, Tambling, Mclean, Ray, Sylvia, Brennan.

Dangerfield is a jet and starting to find more easy ball then his usual 20 contested.

He is a top 5 pick no question. Adelaide will laugh at the suggestion of a pick 12 and a player.

And superdraft means deeper drafts. More better players in the picks btw 10-30 mark. superdraft doesn't mean a top 5 pick will be better player then previous years top 5.

Excellent post! :thumbsu:

Harley Bennell would be the one Id like to get from GC.

There aren't a lot of genuine opportunities in the free agent list imo - Deledio would fit our mix nicely but can't see him leaving Richmond.

or Dayle Garlett.... seeing as we should have two early picks... lightning quick, playing senior footy over here... very bennell like

No need to apologise mate, nothing wrong with a different opinion! :)

While there have been some terrific players taken within the first 5 picks of a draft we both know that there have also been some dud players taken and that there are no guarantees. This draft, from what I have heard and read, is not the big super draft that everyone is expecting. Of course the first picks will be strong but the depth is not as good as everyone is being led to believe. Although I guess that doesn't matter much with a Top 5 pick.

Chances of him coming here are very, very slim but he would be an excellent fit for our midfield. If we could use our second compo pick and a player then fine but I wouldn't be disappointed if we used a top pick to land him.

Fair enough, if he can keep this form up he'll have gone a long way to convincing me.

No doubt I was selective, I actually meant to say 'could' net us a Judd, etc.

Adelaide don't have much to laugh at, because he's out of contract.

The ball is in Dangerfield's park.

He is a star though

no, he is not

how many AA teams has he made?

how many B and F;s has he won?

how many top 5 finishes in his B and F?

How many Brownlow votes has he polled?

By the way dont look up those questions if you think he a star, cos you will be disappointed.

no, he is not

how many AA teams has he made?

how many B and F;s has he won?

how many top 5 finishes in his B and F?

How many Brownlow votes has he polled?

By the way dont look up those questions if you think he a star, cos you will be disappointed.

How many have won those awards at his age? Not many.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright, just did a bit of cleaning up fellas.

I can't believe you deleted my post Rand. Clean it up but you don't have to be the fun police! Took me 5 minutes to do that...

I can't believe you deleted my post Rand. Clean it up but you don't have to be the fun police! Took me 5 minutes to do that...
A fair effort there CFH but it was a precursor to the thread going off topic tbh.

id love Dangerfield at the Demons as I think hes on the verge of becoming a star

He is not one yet however, and may well not become one

Looking at GWS running around atm they collectively look in better condition than us IMO.

Despite the fact we have more than our fair share of slow players I think we have a long way to go to getting to optimal condition.

On top of that I think we've had a hard pre-season and some of our players like Trenners look like they are playing heavy/tired atm. Next pre-season will be critical.

By the time the bye comes we'll have some very tired and sorry lads. We see teams like Carlton and Geelong managing their top players already and I think we'll need to think about doing something similar as the season goes on.

Just on Dangerfield - he's obviously not in the Judd, Ablett, Pendlebury class yet, but he's closing very fast.

He's the right age and possesses exactly the type of attributes we need.

With trading, you sometimes have to pay slightly over to get someone good - look at Mitch Clark: There was plenty of thought that we paid slightly more than we should to get him, but he's been brilliant this year and looks to be a great investment.

If we had the chance to get Dangerfield for pick 5ish, then sure, we might be paying ever so slightly overs, but it'll be worth it.

Viney+Dangerfield = winning.

Hopefully he wants to return to Victoria and the rumours that he and Neil Craig are very tight are true, and we're half a chance!

Hopefully he wants to return to Victoria and the rumours that he and Neil Craig are very tight are true, and we're half a chance!

Forgot about the Neil Craig factor... would be good if true.

We have a lot of cap room and very good picks to trade. IF Dangerfield did want to come home you'd think we'd almost be in the box seat.

Forget it, Dangerfield would be made to leave Adelaide right now. He won't take everything they have done for him and throw it back in their face.

I think we look a lot slower because our decision making and ball use are deplorable so players can not trust a team mate and run to position, or if they do they are behind the 8-ball when it gets turned over.

Forget it, Dangerfield would be made to leave Adelaide right now. He won't take everything they have done for him and throw it back in their face.

I think we look a lot slower because our decision making and ball use are deplorable so players can not trust a team mate and run to position, or if they do they are behind the 8-ball when it gets turned over.

The longer someone stays out of contract, the more hope there is that they might leave the club they're at: http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=134389

How can we be sure he doesn't want to leave Adelaide? IF (yes, it's a big if) he wants to leave, then we have to throw everything at him imo.

This is THE MAIN PROBLEM, confidence that your team mate will hit a target and therefore not leave you high and dry having your opponent clear the ball easily after a stuffed up disposal. Get the skills right & the team will start backing each other, until that happens, we will see the same display of being competitive for awhile but the team with the better skills works us over...

Nat Fyfe and Stephen Hill are the style of players that would balance out our midfield.

These guys have genuine pace, elite skills and they can go and whilst they play slightly outside, they are still strong in the contest.

A little bit of midfield x-factor wouldn't hurt us either.

On the very small chance that Dangerfield wants to leave Adelaide and join a Victorian club, I just don't have much confidence that we'd be able to get him. We may hold a good position re: draft picks and salary cap room, but surely every Victorian club would be chasing him and he's more likely to want to go to a successful club than a non-successful club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lack of pace in the midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back