Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Aye, but we were trying to maximize our window with Pendlebury, Howe, Sidebottom and Mitchell still at the club.

And cap space is also valuable.
There was no “next year”.

He publicly said he wanted to come home this year.

Other clubs were blindsided by him nominating us and if we say “wait”….other clubs come from everywhere!!

My question to those that think we overplayed, is what is he worth? And how do you think we could manipulate our draft hand to make that happen?

Sometimes you have to “overpay” because you don’t have the right value. Same way you “win” some deals for the exact opposite reasons.

I don't think we're coming at it from vastly different aspects

Agree. But that's not really my point - I'm see the pick as having value in the flexibility it provides.

Because I see it as trading a value we don't know about (ie pick 2!) - a future pick has both unknown value in terms of placement in draft and unknown value in what it may assist wit n trading up or trading in.
As such, there's only certain players I'd give up future first for.

Just my opinion, I can't stand the speculation "it's only pick..."

It's clear that every one has a different opinion / view / perspective...call it what you will.

I think he's a great acquisition.

My beef is with the value of the trade, what it says we're willing to give up (how could we possibly give less for Smith if we paid 1st/2nd for Schultz.)

I'm probably wrong.

I'll stay out of Schultz thread and try to only comment on non-Schultz posts in Drafts/Trade thread.

It's only a pick... and we get 12 months bonus contribution from it by using it early.

It's only a pick... and we get 12 months bonus contribution from it by using it early.
Please don’t quote me, I’m trying to get out of this thread
You seem hung up on the “it’s just a pick” “if we draft a teenager at pick — he isn’t going to contribute..”

For the last -king time, I get why we got him, I m glad we got him, hope he wins us the flag — it still won’t change my thoughts on how he was acquired. I thought paying a future first was the wrong thing to do bc of its potential value and ability to use in trades.
Feel free to think differently.

Please don’t quote me, I’m trying to get out of this thread
You seem hung up on the “it’s just a pick” “if we draft a teenager at pick — he isn’t going to contribute..”

For the last -king time, I get why we got him, I m glad we got him, hope he wins us the flag — it still won’t change my thoughts on how he was acquired. I thought paying a future first was the wrong thing to do bc of its potential value and ability to use in trades.
Feel free to think differently.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Aye, but we were trying to maximize our window with Pendlebury, Howe, Sidebottom and Mitchell still at the club.

And cap space is also valuable.
I know, but buying one year of a player for a first and second round draft pick is almost never the right trade, especially when we are an old list, and extra especially when Tassie are coming in and hoovering up plenty of early draft picks.

Going back to 2023, 2024 seemed like the last year of our premiership window with a heavily aging list. If we told him to wait then missed out on the premiership by a small amount...
Yeah, that's a big 'if'.

Also an 'if' - if we trade the picks for him, don't win the premiership (or even make the GF), and he struggles for at least the first 10ish games he plays with us...

Let’s all remember that drafted/traded players don’t set their picks value. They just want to play footy. If we overpaid for Schultz, that’s not his fault. We shouldn’t reference the trade deal when judging his performances.

Personally I think he’s going well enough and building up to bigger things as he gets used to his teammates and our game style.

We’d all like him kicking more goals but in today’s game he applied incredible repeat pressure efforts when the game was on the line, which played a big part in our victory.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

7 tackles, 1 goal and if you watch the final 60 seconds he had a couple of important moments, one where he had the strength in one arm to keep the Adelaide opponent from gaining access to the ball and another where he helped bundle a player over the line.

Right now he thickens the soup but his day will come when he's the main course.

7 tackles, 1 goal and if you watch the final 60 seconds he had a couple of important moments, one where he had the strength in one arm to keep the Adelaide opponent from gaining access to the ball and another where he helped bundle a player over the line.

He gives us a hard edge up forward.

His pressure and tackling has been elite for us. He has also worked hard up the ground, almost playing a wing role for us. The fact he kicks about a goal a game is about par for me. But most of us only notice the goals.

There were 2 marking contests early in the game where he was out of position but made sure his guy didn't mark it. Cox needs to take note.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, maybe. In the final 40 minutes, we were crying for a forward to step up. His last quarter was 2 disposals - both turnover - so zero percent disposal efficiency and 1 tackle.

The moment was there for him, and he didn't exactly own it.

Haters are gonna hate but it's the lack of footy judgement you need to worry about with some, Shooter straight back in.

Kicked a Goal but did not notice him much else

When he hit his head on the ground.. It looked really concerning. Not far from me that happened.

So we are getting to the point where every hit to the head they are going to miss with concussion. I'm all for protecting the head and players taking a week off with concussion but I think we are starting to go a bit overboard imo.

So we are getting to the point where every hit to the head they are going to miss with concussion. I'm all for protecting the head and players taking a week off with concussion but I think we are starting to go a bit overboard imo.
They should have looked at him, the way he was acting on the ground just was concerning. Holding his head and going to ground. But he played out the rest of the game and wasnt mentioned post game, so must be fine.

Liked his game today. He lays so many hard, important tackles. Nice goal, could have had another. He’ll continue to get better and find more of the ball.

If we finish top 4-6 then the trade will be seen as fair imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back