Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly this. If we had given up a second rounder for him which is what he's worth then we would have no qualms dropping him if his form isn't up to scratch. Instead the talk of purely pressure and running patterns as his role is what people say about the likes of WHE, Mayne, Varcoe, Blair, Goldsack to justify their selection. And they were all certainly important role players but it's also clear that they were very much fringe and it's quite easy to find similar replacements with late picks.
This endless criticism of Schultz in ridiculous. The man was one of the best small forwards in the comp when we nabbed him last year. He can literally do it all. Take pack marks, kick brilliant snaps and running goals while tackling and chasing like a man possessed.

He has not reached those heights at Collingwood so far but we already know what his ceiling is and it is very high based on very solid evidence. He has won the Ross Glendinning medal twice.

It's like recruiting Papley and then after a run of average to poor games people start bagging the club for chasing him in the first place as if there was never a good reason to want him. Draft picks are a lottery. Schultz is a known product. He will have a breakout game but cut the revisionist negativity.

He was my son and my favorite player outside of the Pies for a reason.

Schultz has made us a different team, he has all of a sudden made us a territory dominant team that actually has the ability to lock the ball in. This year we are scoring in different ways, scoring from stoppages in our front half, which last year scoring was about turning it over at half back (Moore/Howe/Maynard/Q) and bouncing back fast, adding another layer to a premiership team.

It's not just the total tackles per game, it's pressure on the ball carrier in our attacking half, enabling us to turn it over in the midfield rather than defense, enabling our defense to press up and lock it in.

As you saw last night, this Collingwood team did to Carlton what it didn't do last year without Schultz, +26 inside 50's and +34 tackles, +13 tackles inside 50......

That wasn't because of HH lol, this is a trend for the season since Schultz has been in the 22.

You and others presume a pick between 10-20 will all become something, when the fact is it's more like a lottery after the top 3 picks.

Look at the 2022 Draft, only the top 4 picks would break into this Collingwood team in their first year, and HH's draft of 2021, only the top 4 would be consistently best 22 with the exception of Jake Soligo at pick 36.
HH was pick 52 and is on the edge of this Collingwood team at the moment, which is a huge win and from what I've seen this year, he's proving to be a future 22 lock. But he is not the pressure beast that Schultz is and to get an elite forward pressure beast, you have to pay the price.

I might be the only Collingwood fan that is pretty happy with Schultz, McCreery went off very early last night, yet the forward pressure didn't wane......... I wonder why?
Great post, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, that first used on Schultz could be used on a bust and then you have nothing, not factored in by these haters, time will reveal them to be fools.

He is what he is, a good role player but no star.
The bigger issue is the way we got bent over by Freo.
We should have just called their bluff and walked away from the trade at the price we paid.
We traded Henry for less and he’s a much better player than Shultz.
And we wouldn't have traded Ollie at that price if he was contracted.

We're in the premiership race up to our ears - and it's on the back of our forward half defensive pressure - Schultz is playing a massive role than that.

Astute acquisition.

Last edited:
The club appreciates the pressure he provides. Sends the wrong message to make him come back through the VFL. Also not a good look when to players at other clubs we want to convince to join here.
Chris Mayne almost spent a year in the VFL, then he came good. The only message it sends to future recruits is that they are expected to perform, which is hardly a bad thing.

I didn't know much about Schultz before we picked him up. After watching his first game the thing that stood out was that he influences a lot of contests quite high up the ground and has the endurance to get back and create a scoring threat.

Likely to be one of those maligned players who will get bagged every week because he is graded as a forward pocket instead of a high pressure forward that can roll up and play as an extra mid.

Has kicked a goal a game and put 7 tackles on last night.

Richmond won 3 flags (almost 4) with lesser versions of this guy playing in their side every week.

Slightly worried that we're going to have our two best pressure players out this coming week when we are currently scoring heavily from turnovers.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

stupid act. Deserved a week.
Made some horrible skill errors…..but we actually encourage the attempt.
So no issues in my book.

He’s absolutely transformed our HF line as Bobby did last year defensively.

Why are people focusing on stats?

Would Ginni have gotten back for that ball in the 2nd?
Would Ginni have run 150M to be an easy handball for Bobby last week?

He had 2-3 multiple tackle efforts that went unrewarded. Multiple high contact and holding as well. Which all players get. But he’s a finals player in the way he plays.

I do wonder why we're now a forward half retention beast??
Any ideas?

Where as last year we were defensive slingshot but an forward defensive liability.

Maybe stop looking at possessions and look at why we score goals and the actions that ultimately cause them.

I’m tipping the pies hierarchy are pretty happy with how he’s adjusting.

Re the bolded - let me guess.

While we finished with the highest percentage in 2023, we can’t stand still while other teams improve. We also dont have the forward firepower or potency of Carlton or Geelong. So we have to find other ways to keep scoring.

When the coaches pounced on Schultz when he became available - it was because he’s a player who would beautifully complement our forward plan for 2024.

They didn’t draft him on the expectation that he would kick three goals a game, or suddenly turn into Ollie Henry (I can’t let that go☹️).

As the season has progressed, our forward line is increasingly functioning as the coaches want it to, and Schultz is getting better by the week.

And re the forward half retention - how many forward 50s did we have in the last quarter on Friday night? 20 something? So the retention part of the plan is clearly working - we just have to get better at exploiting that part of our dominance on the scoreboard.

He is what he is, a good role player but no star.
The bigger issue is the way we got bent over by Freo.
We should have just called their bluff and walked away from the trade at the price we paid.
We traded Henry for less and he’s a much better player than Shultz.
I feel once Collingwood commits to a player we pretty much make a guarantee to that player that we will get the trade done. We were never going to walk away.
Yes we over payed in the traditional value of trade picks (1st and 2nd rounders). But pick 34 is a pretty nothing pick and our 1st rounder in 2023 was pick 25 due to the premiership, which is part of the reason why we payed so much. If our 2024 1st is somewhere in the 18-25 range I'm good with that.
Here's some players we have picked up in that range: Grundy, B Kennedy, Broomhead, Reef, Finn, Harry Demattia and Allan.

Last edited:
Gonna be interesting to see how we sssemble the forward line next week with him and McCreery out.
Hard to assess playing West Coast I reckon. Should be a solid win with 100+ easy on the scoreboard.

Suspect HH is asked to apply forward pressure and Reef gets full game time.

If Reef comes in, kicks 3-4 and we look far more potent up forward in hitting the scoreboard, then I'll be interested to see how we approach the following week.

I feel once Collingwood commits to a player we pretty much make a guarantee to that player that we will get the trade done. We were never going to walk away.
Yes we over payed in the traditional value of trade picks (1st and 2nd rounders). But pick 34 is a pretty nothing pick and our 1st rounder in 2023 was pick 25 due to the premiership, which is part of the reason why we payed so much. If our 2024 1st is somewhere in the 18-25 range I'm good with that.
Here's some players we have picked up in that range: Grundy, B Kennedy, Broomhead, Reef, Finn, Harry Demattia and Allan.
If only, the first round pick is this years not last years mate.
So it’s more like about 10 to 15 and a second rounder.
Ludicrous price for Shultz.

Can all the campaigners that come on here bagging Schultz STFU or GTFO? It's ******* depressing coming on here after a great win and seeing our own bag a player. You're all a bunch of entitled, useless c**ts. See how harsh that comes across?

You would think we learn a thing or two from our coach, who excels in getting behind his 44 sons. How about we show him a bit of support and not continually put him down? Schultz annoyed the hell out of me to no end on Friday night, but we got the win and he's getting a week off so it's fine.

Can we please give him 12 months like we did with Lipinski, Hill, McStay, Frampton, Mitchell and Markov?

You’ve also got to remember Schultz wanted to come back home cause he was dealing with family/personal issues. Who’s to say he's not still dealing with that at the moment? If you want to complain about the currency we gave up for him, go to the Graeme Wright thread and bag Wrighty, because Schultz had nothing to do with it.

You can all come to me if you don’t agree with me, I'll be more than happy to take you all on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Can all the campaigners that come on here bagging Schultz STFU or GTFO? It's ******* depressing coming on here after a great win and seeing our own bag a player. You're all a bunch of entitled, useless c**ts. See how harsh that comes across?

You would think we learn a thing or two from our coach, who excels in getting behind his 44 sons. How about we show him a bit of support and not continually put him down? Schultz annoyed the hell out of me to no end on Friday night, but we got the win and he's getting a week off so it's fine.

Can we please give him 12 months like we did with Lipinski, Hill, McStay, Frampton, Mitchell and Markov?

You’ve also got to remember Schultz wanted to come back home cause he was dealing with family/personal issues. Who’s to say he's not still dealing with that at the moment? If you want to complain about the currency we gave up for him, go to the Graeme Wright thread and bag Wrighty, because Schultz had nothing to do with it.

You can all come to me if you don’t agree with me, I'll be more than happy to take you all on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
IMG_0222.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back