Kyabram DFL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Well in my opinion those that are looking to go shouldn’t be able to vote
Yeah but none of those club's are going to say "yeah we're thinking of going so maybe we don't vote"? Everyone will be keeping their cards close to their chests until more info come's out which I can't see happening before Wednesday?

If ever there was time for a coordinated discussion around what clubs and leagues want, now would be it.
GrassKat correct me if I am wrong. The KD clubs considering change are those who want the junior structure which come out of the regional junior summit .
With that being the case we’ve had the coordinated discussion around what clubs and leagues want ( keeping in mind it was club representatives only ) .
The issue is the commission allowed shepp juniors to go to u15’s when the KDL started the u14’s process and GVL bought in u16’s . This undermined the intended outcome and meant there were actually more teams in that 13-16 age bracket not less which was intended .
Ultimately GVL u16’s fell over which has angered some GVL clubs and has also undermined the intended KD junior structure .
What the region wanted has been sought but it’s apparent that wasn’t necessarily supported and we’ve got a shit fight with KD clubs with all sorts of differing junior models and in fairness the league in no real position to be able to address .
Of the 4 clubs named ( Dookie, SE , Murch , Undera ) 2 of those Dookie and SE , who are quite close to shepp and naturally drag from Shepp , haven’t had 2 junior sides for a few years , so if they were to get u14’s and u17’s it will put more pressure on sides near or in Shepp on junior numbers . Likewise if age groups became u17’s rather than u18’s.
The wishes of the region are known and there has been solutions derived and agreed to , what is seemingly happening now within the KD is some clubs are trying to work around those wishes and plans not being implemented , which is far from ideal and comes with significant risks and unfortunately will negatively affect those clubs in other areas.
Anything other than what the region wanted and agreed to implement in the junior review, is a disaster .

GrassKat correct me if I am wrong. The KD clubs considering change are those who want the junior structure which come out of the regional junior summit .
With that being the case we’ve had the coordinated discussion around what clubs and leagues want ( keeping in mind it was club representatives only ) .
The issue is the commission allowed shepp juniors to go to u15’s when the KDL started the u14’s process and GVL bought in u16’s . This undermined the intended outcome and meant there were actually more teams in that 13-16 age bracket not less which was intended .
Ultimately GVL u16’s fell over which has angered some GVL clubs and has also undermined the intended KD junior structure .
What the region wanted has been sought but it’s apparent that wasn’t necessarily supported and we’ve got a s**t fight with KD clubs with all sorts of differing junior models and in fairness the league in no real position to be able to address .
Of the 4 clubs named ( Dookie, SE , Murch , Undera ) 2 of those Dookie and SE , who are quite close to shepp and naturally drag from Shepp , haven’t had 2 junior sides for a few years , so if they were to get u14’s and u17’s it will put more pressure on sides near or in Shepp on junior numbers . Likewise if age groups became u17’s rather than u18’s.
The wishes of the region are known and there has been solutions derived and agreed to , what is seemingly happening now within the KD is some clubs are trying to work around those wishes and plans not being implemented , which is far from ideal and comes with significant risks and unfortunately will negatively affect those clubs in other areas.
Anything other than what the region wanted and agreed to implement in the junior review, is a disaster .
Juniors are a reason Roar but it’s not the only one why teams are looking into other options, l won’t speak for Grasskat but the junior numbers have exploded at his club , but a few of the other teams reasoning would be different

Juniors are a reason Roar but it’s not the only one why teams are looking into other options, l won’t speak for Grasskat but the junior numbers have exploded at his club , but a few of the other teams reasoning would be different
I understand there is some displeasure with being administered by AFLGM and the overarching that comes with that , but if enough clubs feel that way the league would go in that direction.

Edit : Kyneton’s highly publicised departure from the Bendigo league has most definately brought being administered by commissions or not into the spotlight .

Last edited:
How is the Ardmona situation going? I see that they’re very active on social media.
They’re certainly having a red hot crack on socials… I did hear who’s behind it all (a woman who used to be involved with Rushworth many years ago) but the name escapes me (it’s not Peta, someone else).

Getting the committee and helpers together is one task but it will be another to round up enough committees footballers and netballers.

They’re certainly having a red hot crack on socials… I did hear who’s behind it all (a woman who used to be involved with Rushworth many years ago) but the name escapes me (it’s not Peta, someone else).

Getting the committee and helpers together is one task but it will be another to round up enough committees footballers and netballers.
What was the outcome of the meeting/vote last night regarding Broadford? Or is it Wednesday as we thought?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

seem to be quite active- but are they actually back in? when does it get announced?
Need to meet regularly with the league to provide updates
First goal was a fully functioning committee then provide a player list, then as they are a non-financial member i think there are still some other things as well as meeting with existing clubs.

I don’t know of any clubs in favour (through informal chats) although haven’t heard feedback from every club obviously. So if the yes vote goes through, I’m sure a few clubs will be checking with everyone just to confirm the way they voted!
At previous league meetings a few clubs were actually on board with them joining. Broadford talked the talk really well and were very persuasive!

At previous league meetings a few clubs were actually on board with them joining. Broadford talked the talk really well and were very persuasive!
I’m sure they’ll get a few yes votes. And some clubs may have changed their mind to vote or the other way. Outcome will be interesting.

Let’s hope what ever happens the league bring it back to a top 5
Don’t think that’s been a part of the conversation since I’ve been going to league meetings. Might’ve been briefly brought up but but was always top 6 or top 8. Had the year of top 8 then back to top 6. If we lose some clubs top 5 might be on the cards

How does the top 5 function?

Don’t think that’s been a part of the conversation since I’ve been going to league meetings. Might’ve been briefly brought up but but was always top 6 or top 8. Had the year of top 8 then back to top 6. If we lose some clubs top 5 might be on the cards

How does the top 5 function?
That’s what I’m talking abt, if the KDL loose clubs it needs to drop back to a top 5.. best format by a mile.. 1st has week off 2nd & 3rd play each other with a second chance 4th v 5th elimination..

How are Rushworth progressing?
Haven't heard to much about numbers boys go quiet after the season ends but the seniors coach is official on good old Facebook so hopefully that sparks a few blokes to have a kick out there. Talk is that they've got a coach and numbers keen for the 3rds to come back aswell

That’s what I’m talking abt, if the KDL loose clubs it needs to drop back to a top 5.. best format by a mile.. 1st has week off 2nd & 3rd play each other with a second chance 4th v 5th elimination..
FWIW this is what I'm hearing!

The "Murray Div 2" league has been told by AFL Vic that it MUST get 8 side's agreed by this week otherwise it's a no go! They currently only have 7.
Tocumwal, Katandra, Tungamah, Murch-Tol, Dookie, Shepp East & Undera!

3 of the KDFL clubs are said to only be a verbal yes until it's clear the direction, 1 KDFL club is in a pickle as they have actually voted at an AGM to move league's which has caused a huge problem both internally & externally!

Internally the club is now devided between committee & member's & could see an ousting!

Externally because there has been an official AGM club vote to leave means that they now have to vote to come back with all KDFL club nowhaving to accept them back in? Which I'm not 100% sure how or why that work's but someone higher up involved in league meetings may be able to give us more on how that works? AaronSCHQ ??

Anyhow whatever happens it's just another sh*t show caused by someone that is wanting to look like a saviour but only creating more issue's for country footy in our area & all club's involved!

An email from KDL was sent out to clubs on Saturday saying that the Murray League had informed them it had achieved the minimum requirement of 8 clubs committed to form the basis of the District League.

Tonight they let clubs know the SGM tomorrow night is cancelled due to uncertainty surrounding the Murray District League, Ardmona FNC recess and other factors for the 2024 season. It has been rescheduled for 18th October.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Kyabram DFL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back