Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We’re now moving to 10 year plans. One of the worst statements I’ve seen a club make before a season. They made a target of grand finals and when that deadline comes too close, and they know it won’t be made, Joe suddenly says they’re not dealing in 12 month windows - to escape accountability. If they back in JLO after this year no matter what it will be met with bemusement and disgust.
They have always said it is a long term plan to be consistently contending. The 5 year plan was in addition to that, to set a goal, so we aren't floundering like Essington with their "we're not ready yet" while sitting in the top 8 to crash out for the rest of the season.

we are floundering bro. We are the definition of floundering.
They have always said it is a long term plan to be consistently contending. The 5 year plan was in addition to that, to set a goal, so we aren't floundering like Essington with their "we're not ready yet" while sitting in the top 8 to crash out for the rest of the season.

The guys on fox footy last week were not wrong.
JL is the most under pressure of the 18 coaches in the AFL next season and rightly so. 5 years in and with the vast majority of our key elite talent coming close to the 100 game mark next season, he simply HAS to produce results. Another year of floundering in irrelevance just won’t do.
He will get his chance to prove he’s the man for the job long term next year. I’m unconvinced after this season, but to be fair he’s earned that chance at least to have another crack next year, so what happens between now and round 1 is just talk.
The pressure is on though.

Why because the new head of football talked about a plan for sustained success? Every club is floundering then.
Not particularly talking about him or his position, but of course he talks about sustained success, just like every club does and every official in a similar position in any organisation would. We are floundering because we are not showing signs of moving towards our goal of playing sustained finals football including Grand Finals. He hasn't done anything yet and I have no judgement of him. As a club we are floundering.

A really good example is we entered the trade period stating we would be fairly inactive during it, but clearly we had no idea where we were really at.

Not particularly talking about him or his position, but of course he talks about sustained success, just like every club does and every official in a similar position in any organisation would. We are floundering because we are not showing signs of moving towards our goal of playing sustained finals football including Grand Finals. He hasn't done anything yet and I have no judgement of him. As a club we are floundering.

A really good example is we entered the trade period stating we would be fairly inactive during it, but clearly we had no idea where we were really at.
I would counter with only 3 trades (1 for picks only) is fairly inactive, they thought it was only going to be two and got blindsided by Schultz, converting him into a F1 is a good result though.

JL is the most under pressure of the 18 coaches in the AFL next season and rightly so. 5 years in and with the vast majority of our key elite talent coming close to the 100 game mark next season, he simply HAS to produce results. Another year of floundering in irrelevance just won’t do.
How is that so when we just played finals? You make it sound like we haven't played finals recently?

I would counter with only 3 trades (1 for picks only) is fairly inactive, they thought it was only going to be two and got blindsided by Schultz, converting him into a F1 is a good result though.
Strongly disagree. Regularly losing best 22 players is poor. Losing them as unexpectedly as we regularly do is floundering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is that so when we just played finals? You make it sound like we haven't played finals recently?
How so? It's all about the story. One swallow doesn't make a spring. One finals appearance is irrelevant if it isn't part of climbing further. 2024 will determine the relevance of 2022 after 2023 raised significant doubts.

I disagree. We had a drop in form, it happens. Floundering is not winning a final for 7000+ days and then you are dominating and a top 6 side then drop out of finals contention.

We were top 5 and won a final 12 months ago.
Picking the one out of 10 clubs in Melbourne who have been a laughing stock for the last 20 years and saying “look - we are not as bad as them” is not exactly successful is it.
we didn’t just play finals. We just finished bottom 5 and were out of contention with about 7 regular season games remaining. Most worryingly however, we suffered some horror defeats this year when the whips were cracking. The losses to north, Adelaide, bulldogs x 2, and especially to GWS and Carlton were utterly demoralising. The nature of those losses was alarming from my point of view. They were all worse than the worst defeat we suffered in 2022. At least the games we lost in 2022 there was some semblance of positivity in a lot of those defeats. Yes 2022 was decent in terms of the wins, but that will seem a long time ago by round 1 next year.
JL needs to start winning games, apart from Amiss most of our best players are not kids anymore.

You are making a storm in a tea cup. It is not as big a deal as it's being made out. Every team loses b22 players most years.

That's each clubs list changes.

Sure players like Goldstein and Gunston got traded, but there is a significant difference between them and the likes of Schultz or even Henry.

Even so, that list of clubs/players shows me that every club doesn't lose best 22 players. Excluding FAs, it's around 6 clubs, but that includes Collingwood losing Adams because they are replacing him with Schultz or Melbourne trading Grundy to get him off the books.

Genuine best 22 players leaving their clubs in 2023 is pretty much Ratagulea, Durrsma, Stephens and our boys.

Sure players like Goldstein and Gunston got traded, but there is a significant difference between them and the likes of Schultz or even Henry.

Even so, that list of clubs/players shows me that every club doesn't lose best 22 players. Excluding FAs, it's around 6 clubs, but that includes Collingwood losing Adams because they are replacing him with Schultz or Melbourne trading Grundy to get him off the books.

Genuine best 22 players leaving their clubs in 2023 is pretty much Ratagulea, Durrsma, Stephens and our boys.
Why are you excluding FA players, losing a best 22 player to FA is still losing a best 22 player.

That's interesting reading. 17 of the 18 clubs lost players to other clubs they would want to have kept. Most best 22. West Coast the exception.

I'm pretty sick of losing good players, but it does put things into perspective.

Every club trades players.

Last edited:
Why are you excluding FA players, losing a best 22 player to FA is still losing a best 22 player.
You are welcome to include them, it still doesn't make the case that every team loses best 22 players most years.

I didn't include them because FA opens up some different factors. Some clubs want to trade their players to get high FA compo, and some players get unmatchable offers to leave.

That's interesting reading. 17 of the 18 clubs lost players to other clubs they would want to have kept. Most best 22. West Coast the exception.

I'm pretty sick of losing good players, but it does put things into perspective.

Every clubs trades players.
Bulldogs. Saints. Richmond. GWS. No best 22 players traded were there?

Billings and Gresham are both B22 players if fit. Saints wanted their salaries off the books because they hardly played.
Agreed on Bulldogs, Tigers and Giants. That’s 3 teams out of 18.
I’d add Brisbane as well as Gunston was fringe 22 at best.

Not sure if you're serious including Saints and Richmond. Saints lost Gresham, Billings and Coffield. If was a disaster of Freo proportions.
And Richmond Ivan Soldo - their number 1 ruckman. That would be like Freo losing Darcy.

GWS would have preferred to keep Flynn and Bulldogs keep Sweet. Both more than handy AFL players (hence the interest from other clubs).

As I said, just West Coast didn't lose a player they didn't want to keep. They probably don't have the assets to be fair though.

Billings and Gresham are both B22 players if fit. Saints wanted their salaries off the books because they hardly played.
Agreed on Bulldogs, Tigers and Giants. That’s 3 teams out of 18.
I’d add Brisbane as well as Gunston was fringe 22 at best.
Ivan Soldo was absolutely best 22 for Tigers when fit. Even with a recurring foot injury, he still played 1/3rd of the season in the Snrs.

And Richmond Ivan Soldo - their number 1 ruckman. That would be like Freo losing Darcy.
I can’t work out if you are trying to grossly insult Darcy or not by comparing him to this hack.

Either way there is a guy they call the big Nank that might just consider himself the number one ruckdog over there. He’s their captain too for good measure. You may recall him ragdolling our team when they came over to play (and beat) us in Optus this year.

I can’t work out if you are trying to grossly insult Darcy or not by comparing him to this hack.

Either way there is a guy they call the big Nank that might just consider himself the number one ruckdog over there. He’s their captain too for good measure. You may recall him ragdolling our team when they came over to play (and beat) us in Optus this year.
I think you've misunderstood.

The conversation is about best 22 and players you wouldn.t want to lose. You mention Nankervis, who is 30 next year.

Let's come at it from another angle. Do you think Nankervis's age and injury history makes Soldo less or more valuable to Richmond?

fwiw, I'm going with 'more'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back