Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Banfield literally started his career as a tagger is big, strong and has high endurance.

He doesn't have the burst speed of Petracca but I'm certain he would have limited Bontempelli more than what we could on Saturday.
Aish has had run-with roles before as well.

We had options.

Yeh, but not by 67pts.
I don't think it's possible to quantify. We got to within touching distance a few times and then gave up in the last, so saying yes but not by 67 points is meaningless.
If Freo had defended better and taken their chances more, they wouldn't have rolled over in the last quarter.

It is absolutely possible that a small change can have knock on effects that results in a large defeat.

JL said that Chapman was earmarked for Bont when he drifted forward. They had to redo all their planning at the last minute. Losing Chapman was a substantial blow given the roles he was going to play for the team which then needed to be reassigned at short notice.

Bont should get all 6 votes in that game. He kicked an amazing goal by out playing Ryan and Pearce at the same time. Both of whom would be in everyone's AA team right now. He was unstoppable. Untaggable. Just like Fyfe in his prime as you say.
He was supposed to be sick! Or coming off sickness and hardly trained, shows you how good he actually is!! And they were missing Naugton and Darcy up forward; Keath down back - could have been proper horror show to quote Alex from Clockwork Orange (movie) with them playing (bad enough as it was!); can't trust Freo - too Jekyll & Hyde :(

Yeh, but not by 67pts.
Enough for it to mess with our structures and for 67 points to be the snowball effect once we lost momentum and went to water. Chappy was having a great year and we replace him with Worner for his first game of the season.

Enough for it to mess with our structures and for 67 points to be the snowball effect once we lost momentum and went to water. Chappy was having a great year and we replace him with Worner for his first game of the season.
Yeah I dunno, I think missing 2 goals from 20m out when the game was in the balance might have also cost us momentum.

Maybe

I think that all the Bont tagging stuff is a bit OTT. Yes Bont was a problem, but really the broader issue was just a lack of defensive pressure across the whole midfield. This generates the environment for players like Bont to dominate, and also make it really hard for defense to structure and double team etc. The midfield generally was pumped. Bont's dominance was just a symptom of this problem.

We're still in front of the Bulldogs points wise with a game in hand. I'd hope they'd not overreact to the ups and downs too much. The potential for the Darcy/Jackson chemistry is significant, hence getting time in the same side together.

I'm a big believer the chase is definitely still on for us this year. No doubt there are lessons to be gotten from the weekend, but I reckon we'll be better as the year goes on. How much...and where that places us to everyone else...remains to be seen.

Wonder what the biggest losing margin is for a team who then went on to win the flag , make the granny , top 4 or top 8

Think Tigers got done by a decent whack ( 9 - 10 goals? ) by the Saints before they got on a roll all the way to the flag

70 odd points is a lot though with a good injury list

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah I dunno, I think missing 2 goals from 20m out when the game was in the balance might have also cost us momentum.

Maybe
‘Coach Justin Longmuir later revealed Chapman had been slated to mind Bulldogs star Marcus Bontempelli when he pushed forward.’

Wonder what the biggest losing margin is for a team who then went on to win the flag , make the granny , top 4 or top 8

Think Tigers got done by a decent whack ( 9 - 10 goals? ) by the Saints before they got on a roll all the way to the flag

I'm thinking upper reaches of the top 8 really. But I'd expect us to be at a stage allowing constant improvement to the end of the season.

Lots of anomalies across the comp this year though. So I wouldn't read too much into any one result.

Our fans seem to have an issue with Fyfe and continually underrate how bloody good he was for a long time.
he grew into a strong midfielder , but he was never and still isnt a good goal kicker.

but the side needs him in the team

he grew into a strong midfielder , but he was never and still isnt a good goal kicker.

‘Strong midfielder’ is an example of a massive under rating of what Fyfe was.

There is a vast difference between an A grader and what Fyfe was during his prime years. He made greats look like only strong midfielders.

80% earns a HD. As does a 95% score. Yet the difference between 80% and 95% if applied the other way is enough to make you are borderline credit student.

It is similar in footy. The gap between Fyfe and an A grader was as vast as an A grader to a dependable role player.

‘Strong midfielder’ is an example of a massive under rating of what Fyfe was.

There is a vast difference between an A grader and what Fyfe was during his prime years. He made greats look like only strong midfielders.

80% earns a HD. As does a 95% score. Yet the difference between 80% and 95% if applied the other way is enough to make you are borderline credit student.

It is similar in footy. The gap between Fyfe and an A grader was as vast as an A grader to a dependable role player.
Sadly was never enough to win a premiership . Sane as poor pav . I rate pav higher due to his ability to play multiple positions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadly was never enough to win a premiership . Sane as poor pav . I rate pav higher due to his ability to play multiple positions

I think you are only further illustrating my point. Judging an individual player in a 22 player sport based on if they won a premiership is asinine. By your logic Q Lynch was a better forward than Pav and Rowan Jones a better player than S Hill. Absurdity.

Yes he was. He was drafted as a medium forward after kicking lots of goals as a junior, including 6 goals in the colts grand final. And 9 goals from 4 games in the national championships, including 4 against Vic Metro. He started up forward for Peel/Freo and was a regular goal kicker. During peak Freo (2013-2015) he kicked 59.37 and then 9.2 from 5 games in 2016.

And as per the other post, "strong midfielder" is dramatically underselling him. He is one of the greatest players of the modern era. Last night we saw Dane Swan inducted into the hall of fame, and Fyfe is the far superior player.

Yes he was. He was drafted as a medium forward after kicking lots of goals as a junior, including 6 goals in the colts grand final. And 9 goals from 4 games in the national championships, including 4 against Vic Metro. He started up forward for Peel/Freo and was a regular goal kicker. During peak Freo (2013-2015) he kicked 59.37 and then 9.2 from 5 games in 2016.

And as per the other post, "strong midfielder" is dramatically underselling him. He is one of the greatest players of the modern era. Last night we saw Dane Swan inducted into the hall of fame, and Fyfe is the far superior player.

Fyfe could have been an incredible CHF.

I remember sitting directly behind him kicking a couple from around the 50 at Subiaco Oval. He punched them like 7 irons & never looked like missing.

He’s been mentally shot since the 2013 GF with goal kicking and it’s now extended into his general field kicking.

Go back & look at highlights from his earlier years, he was a very good kick.

This was topic on the main board during the Melb vs Freo game. Hawthorn, premiers in 1991, lost two games by 80 plus points margins to Adelaide and West Coast.

“Strong midfielder” 😂😂😂
Tim Kelly is a strong midfielder.
Rory Sloane was a strong midfielder.
Michael Barlow was a strong midfielder.

Nat Fyfe was something else entirely. At his peak he was the best stoppage clearance player of all time.
I’m am absolutely certain that no one on this current Fremantle list will ever scale the heights he did as an individual player. And we have plenty of great players on this current list.
Fyfe polled 48 Brownlow votes in a 22 game stretch across 2014 and 2015. Think
about how ridiculous that is? We will never see it again by any player in this league.

Nat Fyfe goal kicking. Here are the stats:
Career Season Averages​
Nat Fyfe
YearTeamGMKHDMGBTHOFFFAGAI50CLCGR50BL
2024​
13*​
7.2​
13.9​
21.1​
2.7​
0.2​
0.3​
2.8​
0​
0.8​
1.3​
0.2​
2.1​
5.1​
3.1​
0.8​
2023​
9*​
5.8​
8.1​
13.9​
2.6​
0.3​
0.2​
2.4​
0​
0.4​
1.4​
0.3​
2.7​
2.7​
3.6​
0.2​
2022​
7*​
5.3​
9.9​
15.1​
2.9​
0.9​
0.6​
2.9​
0​
0.4​
1.9​
0.7​
2.0​
2.1​
3.0​
0.1​
2021​
15*​
10.3​
13.8​
24.1​
3.9​
0.4​
1.4​
4.1​
0​
1.2​
2.3​
0.6​
3.2​
5.9​
4.7​
1.1​
0.20​
2020​
14​
9.2​
12.1​
21.4​
3.1​
0.7​
0.4​
3.0​
0​
1.4​
1.3​
0.5​
2.3​
4.6​
3.2​
1.1​
0.71​
2019​
20​
13.9​
15.2​
29.1​
4.8​
0.8​
0.7​
4.0​
0​
2.5​
1.8​
0.7​
4.7​
7.5​
4.2​
1.0​
1.65​
2018​
15​
13.6​
15.1​
28.7​
4.7​
0.7​
0.7​
4.0​
1.1​
1.6​
2.2​
0.7​
4.3​
6.9​
5.1​
1.5​
1.07​
2017​
21​
11.2​
15.2​
26.4​
4.5​
0.8​
0.6​
4.6​
0​
1.7​
1.9​
0.5​
3.9​
5.9​
4.2​
1.4​
0.71​
2016​
5​
9.4​
14.0​
23.4​
4.2​
1.8​
0.4​
5.2​
2.0​
0.6​
1.6​
0.2​
2.8​
5.2​
3.4​
0.4​
0.80​
2015​
20​
13.8​
15.1​
28.8​
4.2​
0.8​
0.7​
4.3​
2.1​
1.1​
2.1​
0.7​
4.3​
8.7​
3.8​
1.2​
1.72​
2014​
20​
13.0​
13.9​
26.9​
4.0​
1.2​
0.5​
4.7​
1.4​
1.1​
1.4​
0.5​
3.5​
6.7​
3.5​
1.2​
1.39​
2013​
22​
15.4​
10.4​
25.9​
4.5​
0.8​
0.6​
3.4​
1.4​
1.1​
1.5​
0.5​
4.3​
5.9​
4.2​
1.2​
0.95​
2012​
11​
14.3​
9.1​
23.4​
4.0​
0.4​
0.3​
3.7​
0​
1.3​
1.9​
0.6​
4.5​
4.0​
5.0​
1.0​
1.56​
2011​
21​
12.1​
13.1​
25.1​
5.3​
0.9​
0.7​
4.0​
0.5​
0.9​
1.1​
0.7​
3.8​
3.6​
3.3​
1.6​
0.62​
2010​
18​
9.6​
6.5​
16.1​
4.6​
0.8​
0.8​
3.0​
0.1​
0.6​
1.1​
0.6​
3.6​
1.7​
2.3​
0.6​
0.31​
Career
231*​

Comparing career average Goals/points:
Dangerfield: 1.0/0.8
Martin: 1.1/0.8

Quite strong wording from JL, wonder how the team will respond

It really wasn't that strong, he was basically piggy backing off Erasmus stats in the WAFL and how they don't matter. I mean it doesn't even make sense to say it after the Dogs game given almost all players were below average on stats.

There is only one player in the team that it could be directed at and thats Luke Ryan and he was way down.

It really wasn't that strong, he was basically piggy backing off Erasmus stats in the WAFL and how they don't matter. I mean it doesn't even make sense to say it after the Dogs game given almost all players were below average on stats.

There is only one player in the team that it could be directed at and thats Luke Ryan and he was way down.

Yep, if at all accurate to what he actually said in context, the headline would have been 'Dockers accused of not competing in the contest, pressuring and defending" - admittedly a much less sexier headline

Important to note that while he was making the point of "stats don't matter", with Raz in particular he was in general praising, talking about how he's applied himself and taken the right steps to be a more well rounded player.

Quite in contrast to when the same questions came up about Brodie last year, where there was far less praise and just "stats don't matter to me, I look at it holistically".

Also don't think (at least in JLs mind) Ryan was thought of as a main culprit - the last question of that presser was "How do you get Ryan free when other teams put attention into him?" and his answer was "We don't really try to get Ryan free, he plays on an opponent and positions himself and reads the ball to get first access".

Leg speed has to be a concern?
What is the plan once Fyfe, Walters retire?
Our midfield lacks pace, we have Sharp on one wing but the other is a
hybrid role.
So you’d think we would be a tackling machine, when things don’t go our way.
No speed and no tackles?
Where is the improvement going to come from?
Seems like we are still very predictable, and it could get worse next year unless we
Trade someone in. It’s the only way JLo keeps his job, and he has only got himself
to blame.
Small forwards, Medium forwards, players that are multi positional and a midfield
that is set in concrete.
Maybe its time to drop a big name, ie. Brayshaw back to Peel etc, and start to
reward good wafl form.
Players who have deserved a game on form, and maybe rested a few who are
At each spectrum of the age scale.
You must be one of the few on here that doesnt think our midfield is set in stone. I agree completely. If we can improve it we should. I don't give a stuff who loses their spot.

Quite strong wording from JL, wonder how the team will respond

About time JL showed some ruthlessness. This can only be a good thing and will drive up standards in the club. For too long this club and a section of its supporter base has accepted mediocrity, and as such mediocrity has continued to be achieved. I can’t speak to what JL is like behind the curtain but his media personality has come across as too timid, so this is a big step in the right direction to let it be known that Saturday’s result was nowhere near good enough.

If it’s more then just talk then I expect to see multiple changes to the line-up this week, far too much talent at Peel to continue to play the same underperformers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back