Jurrah never made it to Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
is he up for gaol time for the incident up north or has that been settled already?

i would prefer the AFL does not allow anyone with a criminal conviction to play the game unless determined by the AFL to be a "spent" conviction (AFL assessment and discretion, not the courts).

ps. I am not sure Liam has been convicted thus the view above if just theoretical

Today was his third day in court, well second as he wasn't in court but his lawyers were and they have delayed proceedings until next March, ie 12 months after the victim was attacked with a machette.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ce-springs-clash/story-e6frg6nf-1226463979846

Appearing before Justice Dean Mildren via video link in the Alice Springs Supreme Court today, neither Jurrah nor his two co-accused issued a plea.

Today's brief arraignment hearing was adjourned until March 11, 2013, the day before a trial is due to begin to hear the allegations.

The Melbourne Demons player is facing three charges of aggravated assault and one count of unlawfully causing serious harm.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/liam-jurrah-to-stand-trial-in-march-over-role-in-violent-alice-springs-clash/story-e6frg6nf-1226463979846

and

During a preliminary hearing in July prosecutors alleged Jurrah was a ringleader in an attack on March 7 at a town camp on the edge of Alice Springs.

They alleged Jurrah was carrying a machete and led a group of about 20 people who went to the camp during an altercation over a longstanding feud that related to a death in the outback town of Yuendumu, where Jurrah is from, in 2010.

One of his co-accused in the incident, Christopher Walker, is facing four counts of being armed with an offensive weapon at night and unlawfully causing serious harm.

Walker will remain in custody to appear in the Supreme Court on October 29 this year for his arraignment hearing to resume.

A third man, Josiah Fry, who is facing three counts of aggravated assault and one count each of being armed with an offensive weapon and unlawfully causing serious harm, will reappear in court for trial on March 12 next year.

is he up for gaol time for the incident up north or has that been settled already?

i would prefer the AFL does not allow anyone with a criminal conviction to play the game unless determined by the AFL to be a "spent" conviction (AFL assessment and discretion, not the courts).

ps. I am not sure Liam has been convicted thus the view above if just theoretical

Why should the AFL decide to punish somebody further than the law of Australia? It's not right that somebody be punished twice. If he has done the crime he should do the time, but once that is done it is done and he should be allowed to get on with life just like everybody else.

Cant believe the club would even be considering this. Melbourne dont want him and most probably helped him with his decision. Injury plaqued, with an up coming court appearance starting in March 013.
The way i see it, it will add to his defence teams final statement. But you honor, Liam is now doing so well. he has moved back to Adelaide and been an inspiration to all at his new club Port. Bull###t. Go away with your problems we have enough of our own. To any one who thinks this a good idea? Take a hard look at yourselves
FFS.

Its interesting. The AFL positions itself as a prominent employer of indigenous people, and maybe trying to rehabilitate guys like Jurrah (if not convicted) is the sort of thing they should be doing if its all actually more than bullshit marketing hype?

Also re: your post, IMO there's a difference between something being traditional and something being cultural. A lot of stuff, across the world, happens for tribal reasons and it updates with technology & other cultural influence. It doesn't necessarily make it any easier for people in the thick of things to not be sucked in, just because they're not wearing face paint and no pants.

I'd certainly understand if we don't want to get involved because we probably can't carry any extra negative press (and the shit St Kilda got from Lovett is fresh in the mind), and from a strict list management viewpoint I think recruiting him or not would be a very marginal decision.

I don't get the difference between traditional and cultural in this case. Jurrah's people live 400km west of Alice Springs. They are western desert people with very little interaction with white society. They maintain most of their stoneage traditions. They are different people to aboriginal groups that say live around Port Adelaide, who go to western schools and live a western lifestyle mixed in with maintaing their aboriginal cultural heritage. Yeah I wouldn't accept that the aboriginals living in the Port Adelaide area are allowed to get involved in payback spearings. They don't live a traditional tribal lifestyle.

The people from Yuendumu are traditional aboriginal peoples. Unfortunately booze has got into their communities, as well as some modern technology.

Why should the AFL decide to punish somebody further than the law of Australia? It's not right that somebody be punished twice. If he has done the crime he should do the time, but once that is done it is done and he should be allowed to get on with life just like everybody else.
Not a truer word has been written on these boards. If the AFL were to go down the track of punishing someone again, after that person has been tried and convicted by an Australian Court, then they would be guilty of discrimination and the AFL are big on trying to outlaw all types of discrimination within Australian Rules Football.

Classic defence guidence. Been there myself with a couple of kids in the S##t. Move away, find God, get yourself involved in community projects. Play sport, become a role model and we will bring this all up on your behalf in closing. Nice try fellas but been there done that. Once again FFS.

I think keeping him out of the NT was more to do with a similar attack against jurrah as a form of revenge, than anything to do with his guilt.

Sure, but the magistrate would have been aware that Jurrah broke tribal law and he has no power to punish him for breaking tribal law.

It also points out the difference between magistrates and judges. Judges tend to apply the strict letter of the law more so than common sense. Magistrates use more common sense because they see a lot more criminal cases rather than civil cases, where as judges are the other way round.

Vic news tonight. The Adelaide football club has acted swiftly in stating they have no interest in Liam.
Word from Port? The club continue talking with Liam over the near future. Dumb, Dumb and Dumb.

Innocent until proven guilty, then when he has served his punishment he deserves the same rights as anyone else.

I'd have him at the club in a heart beat.

lol, yeah this would apply if he was charged with something and he was challenging it.

its not a case of did he or didnt he. there has been no denial.

the only questions around the case are with relation to the respective applicable laws, and what penalty to apply to his actions. innocent until proven guilty is totally not applicable here.

also, if he receives a sentence ( which is likely) he will have all the same rights as you and i do. all the same he did before he was sentenced.

just because someone has rights, doesnt mean we should draft them onto our playing list.

playing for port adelaide is a privelige. not a right. ive never commited a felony. should i be on ports list? your argument missed the mark.

I would absolutely take him in the pre season draft if he is willing to take base salary pnding his court case outcome on a 1 year deal

No risk no reward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

port shouldnt be entertaining the thought of him on our list.

not taking some-one onto our list because of their actions isnt "punishing them" its just smart on our behalf. also sherlock, you wanna tell anyone who has ever paid any price for anything they've done they never have to worry about it, we cant judge them on their actions??

no shit of course we judge people by their actions. its how it is.

should we just be drafting kids from their on-field talent now? ask adelaide and angwin how that went. of course we look into character. how do you ascertain character?? a magic ball?? nup, action is louder than words. ive always thought of saving the world. blah. we judge people on the most part by what they have done. you dont get a house loan because you might be good at saving, they want to see you saving. they dont deny you because they think you might be bad at saving, they look at evidence that says so.

judging this guy on his behaviour isnt some cruel and unusual punishment, its not like, ok, he has done some community service or jail time that undoes what he did. get out there and ask a victim of crime what they think about a guy who attacks another man with a machete.

we are not talking about a guy that forgot to pay a parking fine here. i take trying to end someones life pretty fking seriously. i dont want people who think thats ok behaviour on the same streets as my family much less playing football for a team kids look up to.

I would absolutely take him in the pre season draft if he is willing to take base salary pnding his court case outcome on a 1 year deal

No risk no reward
Fortunately your club has more common sense. AFC on this one i commend you.
Now go away and get ready to watch two other teams play off in this year granny.

Vic news tonight. The Adelaide football club has acted swiftly in stating they have no interest in Liam.
Word from Port? The club continue talking with Liam over the near future. Dumb, Dumb and Dumb.

The Crows are quite possibly about to win a premiership. Their situation is a bit different to ours where we have one decent goalkicker on our list.

We'd be silly not to talk to him.

Was standing behind the goals when he toke mark of the year here a couple of years ago by far the best mark i have ever seen live and seen a few over the years .standing behind the goals watching the likes of hodges and waterhouse.As for getting him is the sort of player we need and have been thinking davey should be given a go if melb delist him.

Jurrah will be going to jail not to another AFL club.

I am in favour of payback. Most times payback is a shit load better than white man's law and locking them up.

But payback doesn't involve getting drunk on VB and using a machette.

There is nothing traditional about a machette, it's not an indigenous weapon nor is booze. Payback is a done by elders in a calm ritual manner. Jurrah is out of jail because the NT magistrate made a common sense decision and got him out of town. His cousin is rotting in jail and his victim still has scars on his head and body from the machette blows to his head and body.

The club shouldn't waste a second of time on him.
Good call REH

I guess being ex military I accept that the courts hand down their punishment and then so does the ADF. Now I am a director of both public and private company's the courts would hand down their punishment, then I would be removed from a board. In short, being a director or a serviceman, I am expected to keep within community standards.

Playing AFL is a privilege and whilst the AFL keeps receiving government subsidies; all players and management should maintain community standards.

If he is out of jail and available and we can get him for free in the PSD we would be mad not to.

Does anyone think he is more of a risk than the worst player on our list?

If it doesn't work out, no big deal we missed out on a 123rd draft pick!

The risk isnt on field. Hes a proven goalscorer and very good player. The risk is the PR disaster that would happen if we went through the process of getting him and he walks out on the club before hes played a game, or very early in the season. I think its something that would be very likely to happen. I can see him, especially if he gets injured or something, "losing the passion" and retiring.

Melbourne are saying Jurrah can't commit to his football career.

Jurrah unable to commit to AFL football

By melbournefc.com.au 7:24 PM Mon 03 Sep, 2012

The Melbourne Football Club confirms the following in relation to Liam Jurrah.

“The Club met with Liam Jurrah tonight at which time he advised that he was not in a position to commit to AFL football at any level until after completion of his court case, set down for March 2013.

He advised that it is his priority to be with his family until this time.

“This discussion followed his arraignment earlier today at which time a trial date was confirmed for 12 March 2013.

“The Club will continue to provide personal support for Liam

Status
Not open for further replies.