Unrestricted Free Agent Josh Battle [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

It depends if the AFL want the Saints competitive.

The secret sauce would lead me to believe yes, they'll make it band 1 regardless of the offer

Reality is different.

People said similar stuff about McKay last year. Difference being that McKay was calculated as a 25 year old. And then it was advantageous for free agents last year given the increase in player wages wasn’t factored in.

Unless the six year contract length changes things considerably it will be band 2.

If I’m wrong that’s good for north as Zuhaar will be similar contract wise

Gotcha. Can’t see that being band 1 unless the change to factor in contract length makes a big difference

It depends if the AFL want the Saints competitive.

The secret sauce would lead me to believe yes, they'll make it band 1 regardless of the offer
850-900 was the rumoured band 1 requirements for this season.

He is 25 - so gets max points.
6 years would probably score max points aswell.
M

I reckon this will be band 1

850-900 was the rumoured band 1 requirements for this season.

He is 25 - so gets max points.
6 years would probably score max points aswell.
M

I reckon this will be band 1

He will be 26 for free agency purposes as it’s age at October something.

They were saying $850k last year, and from what I read the new cba has pushed that up.

For all the talk about Academies and F/S picks it's crazy that no-one's mentioning the impact that compo picks are having on the first round. It feels a much easier situation to resolve too (just protect the first round from compensation picks for Free Agency ala the NFL).

So let the bigger more successful clubs poach players and protect the first round picks of those same clubs.

Sounds fair.

He will be 26 for free agency purposes as it’s age at October something.

They were saying $850k last year, and from what I read the new cba has pushed that up.
The 850k-900 is this year.

Even if Battle is classified as 26. He loses 2 points but gains full points for contract length.

He will be band 1

Wouldn’t surprise me if the Saints pull their offer, pick 5 for Battle could be too hard to refuse
We don’t need to and we won’t.

He is unrestricted. The truth is, if he wanted to stay - he would have signed when it appeared to be all sorted in round 2.

Either way, we will be happy. Pick 5 or Battle

A good chunk of free agents have re-signed over these bye weeks.

The only thing we have heard from Battle is that things are moving in the opposite direction.

He’s as good as gone IMO, fingers crossed we get Band 1 which I think we will

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a joke that bottom clubs can lose solid B-grade (or B+) journeymen free agents like Josh Battle or Ben McKay and be compensated with top 5 draft picks

The AFL clearly needs to rethink it's whole "band 1", "band 2" methodology for FA compensation

Hawthorn obviously has plenty of salary cap space, so we're prepared to offer massive overs in order get a semi-decent free agent to sign with us. Battle is obviously not worth all the money we're reportedly offering him. The same way we're paying Karl Amon over $750,000 per season. Neither player is worth all that money, but that's what we pay to prise them loose because we don't have any superstars on our list, but we have to fork out $18 million in total player payments for 2025.

I don't even know why we're chasing Josh Battle. All I see is a competent 193cm defender who is undersized as a key defender and gets outmarked by big 198cm forwards

Don't think it's as easy as 'well he hasn't signed yet, so he's gone'.

His life would be pretty settled now he's got a kid and been at the one club for 7 years. Changing workplace for some extra $$$ when you're already locked and loaded as an important piece in your current team isn't as straight forward as people are making it out to be.

Hope we get him, but won't be that surprised if he remains loyal to the Saints.

It's a joke that bottom clubs can lose solid B-grade (or B+) journeymen free agents like Josh Battle or Ben McKay and be compensated with top 5 draft picks

The AFL clearly needs to rethink it's whole "band 1", "band 2" methodology for FA compensation

Hawthorn obviously has plenty of salary cap space, so we're prepared to offer massive overs in order get a semi-decent free agent to sign with us. Battle is obviously not worth all the money we're reportedly offering him. The same way we're paying Karl Amon over $750,000 per season. Neither player is worth all that money, but that's what we pay to prise them loose because we don't have any superstars on our list, but we have to fork out $18 million in total player payments for 2025.

I don't even know why we're chasing Josh Battle. All I see is a competent 193cm defender who is undersized as a key defender and gets outmarked by big 198cm forwards
So let me get this straight.

You want your club to exercise free agency. Pay overs to attain a player - because their club deems them only worth a salary of a certain amount. So in essence, you are paying these players star level money to attain them…..

And you’re upset it would trigger Band 1 compensation?

You want your club to exercise free agency. Pay overs to attain a player - because their club deems them only worth a salary of a certain amount. So in essence, you are paying these players star level money to attain them…..

All the talk via media is 800,000 is the new average wage for the AFL. Especially with the cap increase coming.

My question for Hawks in all of this is if Battle comes through you have Sicily and Scrimshaw (and Serong waiting already) doing almost the exact same roll with very, very similar advantages and disadvantages to each other. You then also have McCabe who is an unknown quantity in all of this.

What am i missing regarding what gap be will fill? Just don't see him being able to fill the KPD roll Hawks need. So what is it?

My question for Hawks in all of this is if Battle comes through you have Sicily and Scrimshaw (and Serong waiting already) doing almost the exact same roll with very, very similar advantages and disadvantages to each other. You then also have McCabe who is an unknown quantity in all of this.

What am i missing regarding what gap be will fill? Just don't see him being able to fill the KPD roll Hawks need. So what is it?

Its to release Weddle into the midfield

If you guys are offering him only $750K then that won't be a band 1 compensation. Given McKay was $850K then the offer will need to be around that mark if the CBA increase isn't taking into account this year.

No. I am not "upset"... Why would I be "upset" about St Kilda receiving pick 5? That doesn't effect Hawthorn. The Saints clearly need to get some talent on their list, so half their luck if they can finagle their way to an extra top 5 pick. Charity cases like North Melbourne and Gold Coast have been sticking their hand out for years and receiving top 5 draft picks. So why shouldn't other clubs get their lick of the ice cream?

The point of my post was quite clear... I reckon anyone with an IQ above 90 could understand where I'm coming from.

The AFL's FA compo rules seem to be predicated on the idea that the money offered to a free agent is a fair representation of his value when clearly it isn't. The market value can be inflated. Just because a club (or clubs) offer someone a multi-million dollar contract, it doesn't mean they are actually worth that. It could be that there's a bidding war between 2 clubs on a serviceable ruckman or key defender (e.g. McKay) ... Or it could be that a club with tons of salary cap space (e.g. Hawthorn) is prepared to pay massive overs in the short term to marginally improve their list.

Either way... the AFL have created a system where the "reward" for a club losing their free agent is too great. Lowly clubs weaken their list by letting go of the few decent players they have and replacing them with top-end Under 18's.

Is that the desired outcome of free agency and free agency compensation? I would think not.

Apologies in advance that you were triggered and upset by my posting on this subject. I was just hoping for some discussion. I am not operating under the delusion (shared by many on this forum) that anything people post here is going to have any effect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back