Confirmed Josh Battle [to Hawthorn as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

If we were doing dodgy deals he would be getting $700k a year plus a farm.
How on earth did the Hawks manage to pay a player like Battle $900k+ for 6 years? Are the other blokes just playing for peanuts? No doubt some off-the-books Nissans getting around Dingley and free iinet internet connections. Scoundrels.

social-media.iinet.jpg

It does affect the Bolton trade, Richmond are even more likely to be uninterested in their pick 16 which does get slipped back with Levi, Lombard bids it's going to be 19-20.
Oh no. You'll just give less back now :eek:

How on earth did the Hawks manage to pay a player like Battle $900k+ for 6 years? Are the other blokes just playing for peanuts? No doubt some off-the-books Nissans getting around Dingley and free iinet internet connections. Scoundrels.

social-media.iinet.jpg

On face value its bonkers by remember cap is about to go up significantly, so 900k won't be as crazy as it is now.

How are Hawthorn affording 6 years at $900k+?

A few dodgy dealings down at Waverley/Dingley I suspect.

Mate, we barely cleared the wage floor at the start of last season.

More than that, glasshouses and stones kinda applies here more for the Cattery, although with retirements I expect you will open up more cap space.

The shittest part of free agency. Every club, except for the club actually getting the player pays in draft picks sliding because of compensation.

Father sons and academy players too, I believe our president communicated something along those lines.

Now we have to read through even more filth in those threads the next two weeks
That also wasn't changing

FWIW, I had the Bolton trade as being 9 + 16 for Bolton + something. This news only changes what "something" is, and it isn't going to move the needle for either side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cap is going up but whats the average AFL listed player salary? 400-500k?

current AFL AVG salary is around 450k i think

i recall cap goes up about 30% so Avg salary would be around 600k.

hawks have definitely overpaid for battle (like we did McKay), but it's not as crazy as it appears on todays face value.

social-media.iinet.jpg
Because he is worth it.
I am overjoyed to receive pick 8
But I would still rather see Battle in our Colours next year

The problem with FA Compensation in the AFL is the Compo pick is almost always better than the player so the clubs are happy to lose the player when it should be the other way around they should upset their losing a senior quality player but they not.

Saints president:
Hide Hiding GIF
He'll be on the phone with the AFL, demanding that they rescind the draft pick award, won't he?

Since he is an uncompromised draft absolutist, surely he will not agree with his team diluting the purity of the draft in this manner.

The problem with FA Compensation in the AFL is the Compo pick is almost always better than the player so the clubs are happy to lose the player when it should be the other way around they should upset their losing a senior quality player but they not.
Disagree in this instance
Think most saints supporters would of preferred battle stayed

As has already been established here champ the AFL take into account the whole contract not just the first 5 years.

No, they only take into account the first 5 years.

Hawks offer WAS front-end loaded. Hence the cheaper year 6 drops out and the 5 Year average contract is more than the the 6 year average.

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Josh Battle [to Hawthorn as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back