Strategy Jason Horne-Francis: North trade him to Port for massive unders

Easy, it’s pronounced

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mutineer you can keep laughing here but this poster is correct. Power dont yet have the collateral to pull off one - let alone all 3 - of their desired trades. And ultimately JHF wants to return back to SA - he may favour Port but he didnt support them growing up and if we offer MORE money and a better prospect of getting a deal done then its not out of the question (but agree unlikely) he can change his mind here.

Firstly I acknowledge its unlikely to happen. Blind Freddy can see that but why wouldnt we want to cause Power inflationary salary cap issues (JR has advised me we have deliberately done this previously on a returning player we knew would get to Port) and/or cause Kangas to have higher benchmarked expectations re his value. If we are offering 2 picks around 5-6 (assuming bottom 6 finish again next year which is likely) why wouldnt Kamgas use that as leverage to get Power to up their offer?

Its unlikely we end up with JHF but ultimately he wants to return home and if we are 'such a boring club' why in the hell dont we get in there and shake things up for all concerned? Would appreciate a response rather than a WOW or LAUGHING emoji :)
Power have the collateral in spades...it's convincing one of their better young players to go to North that's where it's at.

They've talked JHF into naming them as his destination (not that was ever in doubt) whilst under contract so now they need to pony up, it's really that simple or they've failed the lad badly.

Hmm you certainly are that.

Seems not many recruiters share the same optimism otherwise he’d be gone
Big difference in talls playing FWD versus DEF ......Frampton showed that

IMO playing McAsey FWD all year was in part about building his confidence, and not having him worry about a player .....I thought he showed a lot .....but IMO his future is in DEF

The member email basically said that Kelly and or nicks met with JHF 2 weeks ago and he’s not interested. I’m not sure why this thread is still even being entertained?

Interest levels rise as the negotiations break down. If it looks like Port can’t get it done, we might be preferred over another year at Roos.

Power have the collateral in spades...it's convincing one of their better young players to go to North that's where it's at.

They've talked JHF into naming them as his destination (not that was ever in doubt) whilst under contract so now they need to pony up, it's really that simple or they've failed the lad badly.
You are probably right and will leave it here. Just sent this out of good conscience

Hi Justin

He has nominated Power who he didn’t support growing up and ultimately seems focussed on returning to SA. Power potentially taking on alot here and I am sure we would both love to steal him and/or create more problems for them list mgt wise.

If we end up offering JHF better coin (I really have no idea but say 800k ish for 5 years) and a better deal to Kangas (first rounders this year and next which is again likely top 6-7 pick) surely we are (1) creating inflationary salary cap issues for Power and (2) providing a higher benchmark for Kangas to use in their negotiations with Port Power.

Who knows perhaps JHF changes his mind and nominates us which would be massive if we are offering him a better deal and also better prospect of getting a deal done – Power and Suns will hate us which is OK. AFL wont be happy (the biggest issue longer term clearly) as we will then need to convince Izak that a 2 year deal for 2.5m in the PSD will 99.9% chance see him get through to us before we can reset the rest of the contract to work out at 800k ish over 5 years (at the suitable time we are allowed to do this). Absolute worst case scenario is only West Coast (extremely unlikely with list status and letting Jnr Rioli go for $) or Dons (who were interested at 800k) take him and he ends up a top 5-10 paid player in the competition for the next 2 years at another club that he can refuse to engage with in any way leading up to the PSD. GWS cant afford him and Kangas agree to not take him as part of unofficial deal giving them the deal for JHF. 99.9% chance he gets through to us in the PSD. Did we operate in good faith trying to get a deal done for Izak? Well that’s the debateable part but we are major winners and have been rimmed so many times (inc Suns for both Lyons and Greenwood in recent years).

A haul of JHF, Rankine and Michalanney would be extraordinary.

Good luck.

Think you'll find Doedee and Michalanney are very different .....Max is not an intercept type player ....he's more, in playing style to Andrew Mackie
ok mate thanks for the feedback - i thought he had been called a 3rd tall and probably assumed (clearly incorrectly) he played a Lever type role. Havent seen him play at all. Ideally we keep Worrell anyway as one of our most talented 7-8 young players IMO. 2 highly ranked first rounders to Kangas is probably more than enough

North would likely jump at our 2 high end 1st round picks but that's not happening.

We've committed to Rankine so this years pick 5 is a non negotiable, we're not backing out of that deal...it's time everyone got real and got their head around that.

We offered up all our Dawson collateral to North last year mid negotiation. Repeating that isn’t out of the question, Reid has generally been pretty good at this bit.

ok mate thanks for the feedback - i thought he had been called a 3rd tall and probably assumed (clearly incorrectly) he played a Lever type role. Havent seen him play at all. Ideally we keep Worrell anyway as one of our most talented 7-8 young players IMO. 2 highly ranked first rounders to Kangas is probably more than enough

IMO playing McAsey FWD all year was in part about building his confidence, and not having him worry about a player .....I thought he showed a lot .....but IMO his future is in DEF
I’m sure if the recruiters rated him then they’d see the same thing.

Facts are, that it’s very unlikely he finds a new home because clearly they just don’t rate him.

Reckon you’re on your own with this one, WW vs the footy world ;)

Facts are, that it’s very unlikely he finds a new home because clearly they just don’t rate him.
Maybe though, it's because we wanted to retain McAsey .....I will agree year 4 is pivotal for him

Remember ....it took Fogarty until his 5th year to breakout .....and he didn't have the family issues, mixed in with CoVid, McAsey had

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We offered up all our Dawson collateral to North last year mid negotiation. Repeating that isn’t out of the question, Reid has generally been pretty good at this bit.
actually that is 100% spot on. Swans were majorly pi$$ed we offered all of this when they assumed they were guaranteed to get one of the first rounders. We had PSD last year up our sleeve for Dawson and this year is still a distinct chance for Rankine in the PSD if we want to become the 'ruthless club' so many here are asking for

WW, now I am an eternal optimist but I do fail to see how you thought McAsey showed a lot last year.....his average disposal numbers (inc marks and goals) for a 3rd year pick 6 was pretty underwhelming I would have thought?..

Don’t know about work ethic. He has a reputation for not doing the ground work in between games.

Yes, it seems to be generally known.

He may be one of those that knows he is good and he doesn’t need to do the hard yards. Thinks because he is talented he should be treated differently. Don’t know this for sure but there are whispers.

WW, now I am an eternal optimist but I do fail to see how you thought McAsey showed a lot last year.....his average disposal numbers (inc marks and goals) for a 3rd year pick 6 was pretty underwhelming I would have thought?..
Underwhelning is too kind for a 3rd year player in the SANFL playing on majorly undersized KPD's by AFL standards.

He was playing key forward when he should have been playing key back taking the kickouts like Frampton was to get his confidence up.

Split 5 for 2 first rounders, use one + 23 for Rankine and the other + F1 + Rachelle (love him but can be soft at times) for JHF, trade Crouch/Frampton or go into deficit for late picks for MM, pension off Seedsman for a pick spot, add a carton of Grange or Johnny Walker Greens to the right people (under the soft cap), get some Geelong-like expediency if we’re breaking any future draft rules and, best of all, make a laughing stock of Kochie and Port once again.

Then expect a top 4 finish in ‘24 and a flag in ‘25

We are not giving up Rachele. End it right there.

Maybe though, it's because we wanted to retain McAsey .....I will agree year 4 is pivotal for him

Remember ....it took Fogarty until his 5th year to breakout .....and he didn't have the family issues, mixed in with CoVid, McAsey had
Fogarty was impacting AFL games in his first season.

He's not the poster boy for being delusional about players that have shown nothing.

thanks man. an andrew mackie type clone would be amazing - footy smarts, good skills, reading of the ball/play and some pace....

if memory serves me correctly mackie came from nowhere at draft time (not predicted to be top 20) to be taken by cats at pick 6 or 7 and had an amazing career
IIRC ...a Glenelg player, skinny as .....took a number of years to hit his straps, but a great careeer at the Cats

Let's sell the farm for one player who really hasn't proven diddly squat at AFL level yet, not to mention the hit the player culture would take if we forced out a talented youngster that committed to the club a year into their rookie contract.

You're talking 2 picks likely we'll inside the top 10 and Rachele a pick 6 in that scenario.

So in effect 3 top end picks for a player a long way from a proven AFL talent at this point.

Madness.

It is like having a sugar hit, feels great to do the trade this week but we will regret in 6 months time if we give up Rachele.

It isn’t madness, it is ****ing madness!

He was playing key forward when he should have been playing key back taking the kickouts like Frampton was to get his confidence up.
do you think he will make it? nothing I have seen gives me any confidence. clearly i would love to be wrong but he looks a bust.

that said, unless we get a pick for him 30 or under i would keep him for his last contracted year. imagine giving him away for a 3-4th rounder (40-55) and he actually comes good....

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Jason Horne-Francis: North trade him to Port for massive unders

Back