Fast Facts

Jumper No: 41
Height: 185 cm
Weight: 82 kg
DOB: 1 September 1985
Recruited From: Geelong VFL

Re: No. 41 Jason Davenport

VFL 9th June - Report

Love davers, will be a great player. However he was another whose disposal let him down today. Will bounce back though. Just love his pace that he brings.

Davenport a fast learner

5:33 PM Wed 4 July, 2007 | Back
By Jennifer Witham
for gfc.com.au

News

THE CATS are making a habit of pillaging other sports for potential players.
First, Matthew Egan decided to trade in his tennis racquet for a football and was drafted in 2004.
Then, along came VFL-listed Jason Davenport, who was still adjusting to an oval-shaped ball having grown up with a basketball attached to his hand.
While Egan continues to go from strength to strength as one of the Cats' reliable back six, Davenport is also trying to make the most of his somewhat unexpected shot at an AFL career.
"I was a bit surprised (to be drafted last year), but the last two years have been a bit of a surprise," Davenport told gfc.com.au.
"I moved to Geelong to get on the VFL list, and a year later I was trying to get drafted. It was all a bit sudden, but it was a nice surprise."
Davenport was the club's last "live" rookie pick in 2006, with the injured Tom Lonergan the only one to be selected behind him.
After trading in chunky basketball boots and baggy shorts for footy spikes and tightened uniforms, Davenport believes his already-establish physical fitness helped him make a smooth transition.
"I think I've got the physical skills in the sense of running and everything else, but my kicking is still a bit wayward and I'm working on that," he said.
"I'm also learning about the game itself. Everything is still pretty new to me, but I'm really interested in learning about it.
Davenport's "crack on the VFL list" also happened by chance. After three years playing for Ellinbank in the Ellinbank & District Football League, he shifted to rival club Nilma Darnum for one season.
It was here he met fellow recruit Josh O'Brien, who is the nephew of Gary and Nathan Ablett.
"I played a year of thirds and two years of seniors at a club called Ellinbank just outside of Warragul, and then my brother got a coaching job at Nilma Darnum, which is in the same league," he said.
"I went there to help him out, and then Josh O'Brien got invited down to Geelong to play a couple of games late in the VFL season.
"He got invited back that preseason, and I just put it on him to see if he could get me an invitation down there as well, so we'd go down there together and have a shot together. That's basically how it all happened."
VFL coach Leigh Tudor said Davenport initially caught his eye with his impressive pace and engine during his trial.
"He came down last year and did the preseason, and he was very raw, but he just had some really good endurance and pace, which are his best two assets.
"Late in quarters when players seem to slow down a bit, he seems to have the ability to run hard and run fast.
"Last year, he played some really good games and showed enough to be rookie listed, and this year, he's just gradually improving again. He's very keen to make it."
Davenport is still reeling from how fast his career has taken off, and how he's gone from playing just outside Warragul to sharing a house with Gary Ablett Jr and training with an AFL side in less than two years.
Now, it's just a matter of making sure his career doesn't disappear at the same speedy rate.
"Last week at Country Day, Matty Egan and I told the kids how our story is much different to that of most kids on AFL lists, with the late transition to football," he said.
"The message was, footy for a kid doesn't have to be the No.1 priority. You can do what you want to do, and enjoy what you want to enjoy, and then if you really feel you want to have a fair dinkum crack, you've just got to make sure you give it everything you've got and work hard

I'm a big fan. Can he stay on the rookie list for another year or does a decision have to be made at years end? Lonergan has to be promoted back to the senior list and a decision has to be made on Grima as well. It's tough to see us promoting all three plus taking the minimum three picks in the draft as well (6 list changes - Spencer, Callan, Playfair, Gardiner, S.Hunt, ??? - and that leaves us short of talls).

BOG (for us at least) again today against Casey.

The lad just keeps going from strength to strength. He's still a touch underdeveloped for AFL, but shows all the raw materials to suggest he could potentially be a gun in 2-3 years. I can see him working in tandem with Monica to provide a huge amount of pace and drive off the half back line and wing.

Like Jim Boy I'm pretty sure he can stay on the rookie list another year, which is what I suspect that Cats will do. Another season at VFL level in 2008 is probably exactly what he will need to develop his game further, and by then if the Cats think he has the goods, he should hopefully be mature and strong-bodied enough at 23 to step straight up to senior level.

I think he can, but it almost seems a waste, plus I was thinking at the end of next year as well. I guess he would be a good replacement for Shannon Byrnes.

Great call.

Not that they're similar players. I was more thinking that given we might be struggling to find enough players to delist to accomodate our potential rookie promotions, we should try to use Byrnes to upgrade one of our draft picks. Say from late second round (mid 30s) to low 20s. One less very average player, a better draft pick, and another free spot on the list. Its all good.

Plus Davvers will be a star by 2010.

He is clearly too good at VFL I wonder how that translates to AFL. Would be surprised if he didnt get an AFL game next year. He is progressing rapidly and is consistent which I like. Definitely promote

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't quite remember our situation with the veteran's list and all next year (I think, off the top of my head, we've only 1; Dasher), but I think the possibility of simply having him as the nominated rookie is there..

I'm a big fan. Can he stay on the rookie list for another year or does a decision have to be made at years end? Lonergan has to be promoted back to the senior list and a decision has to be made on Grima as well. It's tough to see us promoting all three plus taking the minimum three picks in the draft as well (6 list changes - Spencer, Callan, Playfair, Gardiner, S.Hunt, ??? - and that leaves us short of talls).
Whats the rules on the rookie list? Why does lonergan have to be promoted?

I can't quite remember our situation with the veteran's list and all next year (I think, off the top of my head, we've only 1; Dasher), but I think the possibility of simply having him as the nominated rookie is there..

Think you might be right G.C. Reynolds was the nominated Rookie this year and in all likelyhood will not be there next year. If this is the case then that would be the way to go with Davenport leaving us with an extra pick in the draft and still playing him in the Seniors if the need arises.

Davenport's No.1 priority is to get a senior game

Sarah Bieske

22Dec07

STEPPING UP: Jason Davenport has a big year ahead of him, joining the Cats' senior list and inheriting the No.1 guernsey from Steven King. Photo: GLENN FERGUSON

JASON Davenport is now at the top of the pecking order at Geelong, at least where numbers are concerned.

The talented wingman, promoted to the Cats' senior list, has been handed the No.1 guernsey after Steven King's departure.

The former club captain suggested the youngster wear his number after being traded to St Kilda.

``It's a big honour for me for sure,'' Davenport said.

``I caught up with Kingy after he left and he told me he'd like me to ask the club to have his number.

``I'd always really looked up to Kingy, I played with him in the VFL premiership and he's a former captain of the club and a great player.

``I talked to Balmey (football manager Neil Balme) about it and he thought it was a good idea. It was really nice to be asked by Kingy to wear it.''

Davenport said he would wear the number with pride in what will be his first year on the Cats' primary list.

He said he is also reminded often by assistant football manager and former Geelong player Steven Hocking of the significance of the No.1.

``Hock wore No.1 and comes up behind me every day and reminds to uphold the No.1 duties,'' Davenport said.

``I've never really worried too much about numbers and if someone else had taken No.1 I would have been just as happy to stay with 41, but I was rapt Kingy thought of me. I'm not sure if it will make much difference to the way I play, but it will be an honour to wear it.''

Davenport's number upgrade capped off what has been a remarkable year for the former Cats rookie, who just two years ago never dreamt he would be playing AFL.

But the 22-year-old said he was well aware the hard work starts now.

``It's been a big couple of years, I've still got a long way to go but it's all pretty exciting,'' he said.

``It's still a bit surreal, I look around at training at some of the guys I'm training with and think that I was watching them on TV not that long ago and not even thinking I'd have a career in the AFL.''

Davenport said he hoped to continue his good run and break through for his AFL debut next season.

``One of my goals obviously is to play a senior game,'' he said.

``The biggest thing for me is to really put pressure on the blokes that are playing if I'm not playing. If I'm putting that pressure on some of those boys, it's better for all of us as a group.''

From the Geelong Advertiser

Re: No. 1 Jason Davenport

Geelong fans, any news on this young fella? Seen him play a couple of times and was suitably impressed but I dont hear of him training anywhere, is he going to be lost to the game? If so why, must be something he is/isn't doing in the games I dont see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back