James Hird

Remove this Banner Ad

Solly has been sensational at Fremantle. Ask any of their fans. Don't know what games of theirs you have been watching.

We have an abundance of kids we can play and nurture down back as the game continues to pick up speed - why would we sacrifice our youth policy for a player who not only is getting old but plays an older style of football - and is slower.

No point asking any of their fans - no doubt Solly suits their best 22 - he'd struggle to cement a spot in anyone elses that's serious about their finals aspirations.

He certainly wouldn't suit our midfield - forward line is out of the question - down back - we saw Big Mal struggle as another key defender - where would you have him?

I just saw today on the back of the West Australian that Hird might be coming back into the game.

Personally I don't think it would benefit our team to redraft him. I mean we are going for youth it's one of the reasons we wouldn't give Peverill another contract. I'm not saying Hird is a bad player but redrafting him would be a waste when we could get a young gun with it.

If Hird comes back whats he gonna do run in the midfield? No he is most likely going to play as a forward and chances are he is not up to scratch and if he retires again in the same year not many people will care.

We dont want Hird to do a Fraser Gehrig.
Also we got rid of Solomon so we should not think of bringing him back.

Your Opinion?

It would never happen. Hirdys not that stupid.

Just saw it on the news, can't see it happening.

Re: Is there a way we can secure a player in a draft?

Hird nominates for the PSD. Hird says he will only play for Essendon so you are wasting your pick if you select me.
Clubs are not going to risk being one short on their list by picking him.
Same deal as St.Kilda and Gehrig last year.
Kk thanks.
shame its probably not goner happen since he denied it though.

RETIRED Essendon champion James Hird has denied he is planning to make a stunning comeback to football.

A front page report in today's The Age newspaper claimed the former premiership captain, who retired in 2007, was seeking a meeting this week with the Bombers’ coach Matthew Knights.

The report claimed that Hird, 35, was interested in a return next season and had kept himself in “top physical condition” in the hope of convincing the club he could still play at the elite level.

The report claimed the idea was raised on a footy trip to the United States with former teammates.

But today Hird flatly denied the claims.

"There’s no chance of me coming back to football."

And Hird said there was no truth to the claim that he was seeking a meeting with Knights.

“No. That’s not right.”

“My footy days are well and truly over,” he said.

“I’m very happy doing what I’m doing as a director of Gemba which is a marketing company.

“We’ve just invested a lot of money overseas into India and Hong Kong where there are offices there and a push into the US.

He accepted that some people would like to see a comeback, but “I’ve got a big commitment to a lot of people and I’ll be staying doing what I’m doing”.

Hird’s career spanned 253 games from 1992-2007, included Premierships in 1993 and 2000 (when he won the Norm Smith medal), and saw him win the coveted Brownlow medal in 1996.

Former Bombers coach Kevin Sheedy rated Hird as the best player he had coached in 27 seasons.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24394951-661,00.html

Phew. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't reakon he'll come back, and when you think about it, it might be for the best. It'd be sad if he did a Wayne Carey, and came back and done nothing. He's a champion and always will be but, he doesnt want to risk tht with a poor one-year return.

I was really surpised when i heard the story this morning, but Hirdy was on the front foot this morning saying it was all false.

that doesnt really mean anything though... apparently he hasnt spoken to knights yet so he wasnt going to announce his return to football before speaking to any officials at the club. if he did and knights said we are going for a youth policy then hird would look like an idiot.

in saying that i dont think hird ever wanted to come back from retirement and its just a media build up

Can you use for example pick 80 (5th round) to pick up Hird. In the two weeks following determine if he is interested and if not, cancel that pick/contract to use it again in the PSD.

Well if Hird only nominated for the PSD you would not have that issue.
At the end of the day i doubt any club would draft a player that has said they will not play for any other club other than their original club without talking to them before the draft. The stakes are just too high now days, even more so with new sides entering over the next 5 years.

For some light reading (and some to make your blood boil..) read the reader's comments to the HS article relating to Hird rejecting rumours of a comeback - Ross Kennedy and Roberta Amario's comments in particular will have you on the attack quickly.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24394951-661,00.html

:mad:

Lol at the comment, Limelight? Haven't heard of him since he was runner for us against Collingwood, and before that last time heard of him was when he retired :p

"Even as a Carlton supporter i think all the comments are a bit harsh, The guy can play and even won a B&F in his last year.Common sense will prevail but don't slam an outstanding career." ....Im scared :D

Can you once you've been out for a year?

Hasn't the whole Ben Cousins thing shed light that once you're out of the system you have to first nominate for the ND?

They change the rules every second year so i am never 100%.
Guess it does not really matter anyway now :)

Lol at the comment, Limelight? Haven't heard of him since he was runner for us against Collingwood, and before that last time heard of him was when he retired :p

"Even as a Carlton supporter i think all the comments are a bit harsh, The guy can play and even won a B&F in his last year.Common sense will prevail but don't slam an outstanding career." ....Im scared :D

They wouldn't accept my comment being a grammar Nazi to one of the [strike]w***ers[/strike] criticisers, which ended with Hird>>>>Voss>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Buckley (receiver).:mad:

I wonder why.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back