Mervyn Beasley

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 12, 2007
Yarraville
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hibs FC, Blackburn Rovers
One of the greatest draft stories ever (along with Chris Grant!)
Does anyone think we will ever see another James Hird in a draft?

As it happens, anyone know what Hirdy has been up to this year?
Havent seen nor heard him at all.

Saw Hird a month back on Toorak road at 7.50am jogging behind his kid who he was taking to school. The kid was on a bicycle. Was going at a decent pace too. Looks like he is keeping himself fit.

Players are always bound to slip through, but it's becoming less and less likely.

When asked today on the Herald Sun site whether he was interested in coaching, his response was that he was very happy working at Gemba.

He also gave a fairly clear message that he has no interest in a media career.

I have guaged from him that he isnt super keen on doing anything too full-on in the footy industry at all.

And there will never be another Sir James, but there will be plenty more gems found very low down in the draft no doubt. In fact, im surprised there hasnt been more in the last couple of years.

Check the front of The Age guys.

My post last night was a sneaky hint.

What do ya's reckon about that???

Maybe there wil be another James Hird in the draft (just an older version)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not gonna happen, the media owe him an apology.

I posted this on the 4th Estate Board.

The only way Hird could get to Essendon is via the National or pre Season Draft. Therefore it is in his best interests to deny any speculation of a comeback. If he confirmed he wanted to comeback, any other club in the comp could pick him up in the National Draft before Essendon and 4 clubs would have first crack at him in the pre season draft (which I assume would be Essendon's preferred option of getting him).
There is a precedent when Tim Watson was talked about as wanting to make a comeback only to see West Coast draft him before Essendon had a chance to get him back again.

Connolly has good contacts at Essendon and is a decent journalist. I strongly doubt that this is made up.

Hopefully we stick to our youth policy and not entertain the idea of bringing Solly back.

He once was a respected player - but he's simply become a thug and a player whose powers are quickly diminishing. We have the kids to invest time into and this would simply be a waste of time.

Hopefully we stick to our youth policy and not entertain the idea of bringing Solly back.

He once was a respected player - but he's simply become a thug and a player whose powers are quickly diminishing. We have the kids to invest time into and this would simply be a waste of time.

Solly has been sensational at Fremantle. Ask any of their fans. Don't know what games of theirs you have been watching.

Solly has been sensational at Fremantle. Ask any of their fans. Don't know what games of theirs you have been watching.

yep he has been very good and we dont exactly have an abundance of guys who hit the ball and the man with his intensity.

I'd pick him up if he came cheap.

I posted this on the 4th Estate Board.

The only way Hird could get to Essendon is via the National or pre Season Draft. Therefore it is in his best interests to deny any speculation of a comeback. If he confirmed he wanted to comeback, any other club in the comp could pick him up in the National Draft before Essendon and 4 clubs would have first crack at him in the pre season draft (which I assume would be Essendon's preferred option of getting him).
There is a precedent when Tim Watson was talked about as wanting to make a comeback only to see West Coast draft him before Essendon had a chance to get him back again.

Connolly has good contacts at Essendon and is a decent journalist. I strongly doubt that this is made up.

Gehrig got back to St.Kilda this year.
All Hird has to do is bluntly say he is not playing for anyone else but Essendon so you will waste a pick if you select me. I doubt come the PSD that clubs are going to risk picking him and then going one short on their list.
Anyway i hope he is not coming back. Even though he won the B&F i thought he was not the same player he was in 2007 and other sides really burnt us a few times by running players off him.

Re: Is there a way we can secure a player in a draft?

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/return-could-be-a-gamble/2008/09/24/1222180149873.html

I was just wondering on the off chance that James Hird does return is there a way he could make sure that we get him see other teams dont attempt to?

Cheers

Hird nominates for the PSD. Hird says he will only play for Essendon so you are wasting your pick if you select me.
Clubs are not going to risk being one short on their list by picking him.
Same deal as St.Kilda and Gehrig last year.

Gehrig got back to St.Kilda this year.
All Hird has to do is bluntly say he is not playing for anyone else but Essendon so you will waste a pick if you select me. I doubt come the PSD that clubs are going to risk picking him and then going one short on their list.
Anyway i hope he is not coming back. Even though he won the B&F i thought he was not the same player he was in 2007 and other sides really burnt us a few times by running players off him.

Can you use for example pick 80 (5th round) to pick up Hird. In the two weeks following determine if he is interested and if not, cancel that pick/contract to use it again in the PSD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back