Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

They won the flag the next year. FWIW, pick 14 alone won't be enough, it appears GCS are standing their ground from a passing interest.

That's cos we don't want a situation where every year all our good players decide moving to another club is what they want and we get offered 2/5ths of **** all and are told to accept it. better to drive a hard bargain now then let every other team walk all over us.

Goes on contract amount and length. 4yrs at a proposed $400k is apparently early second round. again, this has just been mooted in the papers and obviously not confirmed

Collingwood probably have the Mayne UFA deal stitched up but have no incentive to oil the wheels of other clubs trades. They may even be able to eek out some favours to close the deal. Sounds Gubby-esque.

Collingwood probably have the Mayne UFA deal stitched up but have no incentive to oil the wheels of other clubs trades. They may even be able to eek out some favours to close the deal. Sounds Gubby-esque.

Free Agency closes before trades, so while it kinda works, it kinda doesn't

It depends what you get back for Hill. Personally I hope our contract we have in front of Mayne is unders so Freo get end of second round compo. That'll make things interesting.
I think two first with one of their top twenty picks flicked back to you would seem fair.
As for Sydney, I think it'll be Breust plus pick swaps Sydney's way. Not sure what will happen to Sicily.

How would it be Bruest when the club has said hes not being traded, he has said he doesnt want to go and 3 he is worth more than Mitchell to begin with.

It depends what you get back for Hill. Personally I hope our contract we have in front of Mayne is unders so Freo get end of second round compo. That'll make things interesting.
I think two first with one of their top twenty picks flicked back to you would seem fair.
As for Sydney, I think it'll be Breust plus pick swaps Sydney's way. Not sure what will happen to Sicily.

Breust is not going to Sydney. He'd cost them more then Mitchell. Plus he's contracted and not interested in joining the Swans, the team who he trained with in 2008 and overlooked him in the draft.

Breust is not going to Sydney. He'd cost them more then Mitchell. Plus he's contracted and not interested in joining the Swans, the team who he trained with in 2008 and overlooked him in the draft.

There's lots of ways a trade can happen if bruest doesn't want to go to Sydney.
Old mate Abasi will talk you through it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue here is these kids have nominated Hawthorn, so their current clubs are over a barrel really, and will likely get screwed over.

That is how clubs like Hawthorn and Geelong have been successful. They get in the ear of CONTRACTED players months out (and even years out if O'Meara example is to be believed), who then nominate them. Their current club then has two options:
- accept unders at the trade table
- let the player walk via the PSD.

It is bullshit! Players who aren't a free agent should have no say whatsoever in where they end up, and that way clubs like Gold Coast can trade with the highest bidder.

The issue here is these kids have nominated Hawthorn, so their current clubs are over a barrel really, and will likely get screwed over.

That is how clubs like Hawthorn and Geelong have been successful. They get in the ear of CONTRACTED players months out (and even years out if O'Meara example is to be believed), who then nominate them. Their current club then has two options:
- accept unders at the trade table
- let the player walk via the PSD.

It is bullshit! Players who aren't a free agent should have no say whatsoever in where they end up, and that way clubs like Gold Coast can trade with the highest bidder.

So clubs should own players for 8 years?

How about this for a counter: sign the players you need to long term contracts.

So clubs should own players for 8 years?

How about this for a counter: sign the players you need to long term contracts.
That's the main problem, no player wants to stay at a lower club if they can get picked up by Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney. How does a team like Brisbane or Gold Coast convince a player to stay when big clubs come knocking.

No... if their club offers a contract, then that should rule them out of that until they reach free-agent eligibility
would there be provisions to prevent clubs from expecting their out-of-contract players to play for peanuts?

there's no easy solution here, but I'm certain that limiting a player's ability to earn by locking him in to a contract he hasn't agreed to isn't all that feasible.

Thoughts?

Hawthorn out: Pick 14, Pick 35 and Pick 53
Hawthorn in: O'Meara and Pick 64
Collingwood out: Witts and Pick 64
Collingwood in: Pick 35 and Pick 53
Brisbane out: Hanley
Brisbane in: Pick 14
Gold Coast out: O'Meara
Gold Coast in: Witts and Hanley

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back