Jack Riewoldt - Best Commentator Since?

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to preface this by admitting he was one of my least favourite players of the last decade. I couldn't stand his sook face and over-animation when things wouldn't go his way. That said his poor body language and antics probably makes him underrated by some as he was obviously a legit AFL great.

You can imagine my annoyance when he got a gig on the AFL gravy train that is unqualified ex-players doing media/commentary. Remarkably though Jack is a natural. He's passionate, articulate, fair and gives actual insight as the game's unfolding. Also has a great sense of occasion but doesn't make it about him. He's already the best commentator in the business and it isn't close.

It's not a big deal but when you've had to listen to complete rubbish from the broadcasters for eons it's a breath of fresh air. Hats off to him, I couldn't be more surprised.

Next season give him Friday nights/marquee games. Hopefully he calls the grand final this year too.

Hahaahaha of course this thread was started by a North supporter, Jack was barracking hard for North in the first half, so much so that he was blinded and some of his comments were outright hilarious.

He showed his colours and his intelligence.

Close the thread.

I have to preface this by admitting he was one of my least favourite players of the last decade. I couldn't stand his sook face and over-animation when things wouldn't go his way. That said his poor body language and antics probably makes him underrated by some as he was obviously a legit AFL great.

You can imagine my annoyance when he got a gig on the AFL gravy train that is unqualified ex-players doing media/commentary. Remarkably though Jack is a natural. He's passionate, articulate, fair and gives actual insight as the game's unfolding. Also has a great sense of occasion but doesn't make it about him. He's already the best commentator in the business and it isn't close.

It's not a big deal but when you've had to listen to complete rubbish from the broadcasters for eons it's a breath of fresh air. Hats off to him, I couldn't be more surprised.

Next season give him Friday nights/marquee games. Hopefully he calls the grand final this year too.

Good call. What we want to hear from expert commentators is insight those of us on the couch don’t already know, or things you’re not able to see on TV. Who is picking up who? Why are teams playing slow? What’s happened to change the flow of the game etc…

The amount of times special comments people talk inane dribble that provides nothing ‘expert’ is nauseating. Jack’s great as he provides insight those who haven’t played at the top level can’t provide.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hahaahaha of course this thread was started by a North supporter, Jack was barracking hard for North in the first half, so much so that he was blinded and some of his comments were outright hilarious.

Close the thread.

Come on, North have won a handful of games in the last three or four years, all non Collingwood supporters were barracking for them. You would have been too if you were a neutral.

Agree - very good.

I have a similar reaction. Thought he was a sook and didn't like him as a player despite how good he was (and he was good !!).

I felt the same about Richo, Nathan Buckley and Matthew Lloyd - who surprisingly are three of my favourites. Buckley and Lloyd very sharp as is Jimmy Bartel on 3AW.

Unfortunately, Jobe Watson, Burgoyne and Joel Selwood not good.

As the OP said - take note of Ricky Ponting - don't just state the obvious - tell us what the tactics are, what are coaches trying to do, and if possible what is about to happen.

Agree - very good.

I have a similar reaction. Thought he was a sook and didn't like him as a player despite how good he was (and he was good !!).

I felt the same about Richo, Nathan Buckley and Matthew Lloyd - who surprisingly are three of my favourites. Buckley and Lloyd very sharp as is Jimmy Bartel on 3AW.

Unfortunately, Jobe Watson, Burgoyne and Joel Selwood not good.

As the OP said - take note of Ricky Ponting - don't just state the obvious - tell us what the tactics are, what are coaches trying to do, and if possible what is about to happen.

Classic example. Lloyd yesterday described exactly what Watson from the Hawks needed to do to fix his goal kicking down to lining up and running through them.

Too often Selwood, Watson and Burgoyne just talk for the sake of talking. They add comments which are useless and have no real insights, but they know they have to say something because if they don't they're out of a job.

Absolute flog. Any half intelligent comments he makes are completely overshadowed by his blatant barracking during play.

Couldn’t be more obvious that he’s trying to get himself over by sucking up most of the air in the commentary box.

I give it a season before everyone turns on him and the complaining starts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jeepers, why am I wasting my time here?! I should be a goalkicking coach! :drunk:

It's simple isn't it? Get a job as a stop and go sign holder and combine it with goal kicking coach teaching players to run in a straight line and kick through the ball and you can retire early.

Close the thread.
Of course he wanted North to win, he wants Richmond to get the #1 pick.

I agree. A lot of folk on the Saints board can't stand him as a commentator, not sure why or if it's indicative of other parts of Big Footy, but I personally think he's great to listen to, and it's good to have someone from the modern era be so articulate.

He and Dale Thomas are probably two of the better ex-player commentators from the modern era.

I agree. A lot of folk on the Saints board can't stand him as a commentator, not sure why or if it's indicative of other parts of Big Footy, but I personally think he's great to listen to, and it's good to have someone from the modern era be so articulate.

He and Dale Thomas are probably two of the better ex-player commentators from the modern era.
Yeh agree, Thomas is quite astute and has a great tactical understanding of the game, great to listen to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back