Player Watch #?: Jack Darling - has officially been traded to NM from WCE in exchange for #67 - welcome Jack

Remove this Banner Ad

If 2 years of Clarko and Viney have not fixed that, what chance do a couple of new players have?
What I find interesting is the comment that has been mentioned a few times, but seemingly not picked up by most people - the comment around the fact that Darling played the "sacrificial" tole in his last couple of years at WC to help Allen and Waterman. But implying that this won't need to be the case, so he may surprise plenty of people if he's allowed to be the focal point.
Interesting implication regarding our development of young forwards
Mmm, it is interesting. I would still hesitate at giving a huge wrap to his ability to play second fiddle at whatever age he is, but he's obviously been out of favour at Weagles. Maybe he will be able to step up well to a more prominent role.

So much still wrong, though. And my gut feeling is that many holes won't be filled in this off-season, and that next year starts off much the way that this one did. It's actually impressive how elaborate our path of shitness has become. Any other team gets Sheezel, Wardlaw and McKercher and sees instant payoff. Not us.

Guess at least we'll have a second tall with a brain to kick to in the forward line, if nothing else

I liked to see him use the word "us" in one of those earlier posts. He sees himself as a North Melbourne man now and that's good enough for me. Go Jack.
Horace, each time I see your Avatar I think to myself that you are the best looking 169 year old man I've ever seen. :stern look

Mmm, it is interesting. I would still hesitate at giving a huge wrap to his ability to play second fiddle at whatever age he is, but he's obviously been out of favour at Weagles. Maybe he will be able to step up well to a more prominent role.

So much still wrong, though. And my gut feeling is that many holes won't be filled in this off-season, and that next year starts off much the way that this one did. It's actually impressive how elaborate our path of shitness has become. Any other team gets Sheezel, Wardlaw and McKercher and sees instant payoff. Not us.

Guess at least we'll have a second tall with a brain to kick to in the forward line, if nothing else
Don't know, I might be a supreme optimist, but I reckon that at some stage we will have a breakout season that will take us just about to finals contention. It may as well be this year.

The cynics amongst us would say he's only motivation is extracting the maximum coin out of his career.

Massive watch for me on how many chins he’s sporting after the Xmas break. Sounds like the main reason we brought him in is for his professionalism. So let’s see it.

lol, JD is an evergreen specimen. I even think after his career he will be. Elite trainer - not a chance in hell he rocks up to his first North preseason out of shape in any way

Don't know, I might be a supreme optimist, but I reckon that at some stage we will have a breakout season that will take us just about to finals contention. It may as well be this year.
It may as well have been this year, too. We're all somewhere along the despair-optimism continuum, and I'm at the phase where there are no expectations at all, because we've heard the same shit trotted out over multiple years and seen absolutely jack shit to show for it. Boy who cried wolf and all that. I tip my hat to you and others expecting more, and hope that their form early next year puts me into that group

So the anti-Larks. Works for us.
Larks is a better lead up forward, struggles 1:1 when stationary.

Pretty much - he’s not really a lead up or particularly effective in packs, but a massive handful one on one in a wrestle and also gets extra shots from forward pressure / tackling which when on (a couple of games still this year) he is still elite at. He’s also very very fit so can drag a defender outside 50 to create space when needed. I think you’ll get a bit more out of him than you think, maybe even a little renaissance if you are lucky considering he wants to make good on the fresh start. Very loyal clubman and most Eagles fans are fine with him taking this opportunity at the stage he is at and hope he goes ok. I’ll be backing him in to have an impact

Great player to support Larks. He isn't tall enough to be a number one option and was also always the second option behind Kennedy and Allen now Waterman but he would certainly take pressure of Larks because he still attracts a good defender and he does have a good tank to work off his man which opens up the forward line even more.

He has great work ethic and will show up in shape. You have a great midfield who can make the most of Jack's abilities by isolating him one on one where he's good at. He's not as quick as he used to be but he still can pressure well and he is a strong contested marker in his peak but nowadays he's still good enough to kill contests against bigger defenders. I expect he'll free up Larks as I said already.

If he plays like a try hard every game then you'll see what he was capable of during his peak and he will certainly help with your forward pressure.

We will always respect him and thank him for what he has done to the club and he's been very loyal but now is the right time for him to go because we already have Allen, Waterman and J.Williams and with Darling in the side that would've made us too tall and he would've had to play more WAFL like what happened with Gaff, plus we already have Archer Reid waiting in line soon.

His forward line tackling is mersmerising. Other than Xerri we haven't had many really solid tall blokes who can hit bodies like that in recent times.
We had Petrie way back who used to do that at training and injure our own blokes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems strange that the Eagles didn’t carry him to the 300 game milestone. The odd sub game here and there would have done it. Did they not rate him at the Hurn level of reverence, were there any underlying issues???
He’s all ours now to chair off in Round 2 v Eagles in Perth. Make it happen Laura.

Seems strange that the Eagles didn’t carry him to the 300 game milestone. The odd sub game here and there would have done it. Did they not rate him at the Hurn level of reverence, were there any underlying issues???
He’s all ours now to chair off in Round 2 v Eagles in Perth. Make it happen Laura.

Nope, we all love him still. Nil issues, his dedication never in question. Sure 300 as an Eagle would have been nice but we have forward depth coming through and happy for him to take up the opportunity elsewhere all things considered ✌🏻

The cynics amongst us would say he's only motivation is extracting the maximum coin out of his career.

Massive watch for me on how many chins he’s sporting after the Xmas break. Sounds like the main reason we brought him in is for his professionalism. So let’s see it.
Hopefully not more Chins than a Chinese phone book!

Nope, we all love him still. Nil issues, his dedication never in question. Sure 300 as an Eagle would have been nice but we have forward depth coming through and happy for him to take up the opportunity elsewhere all things considered ✌🏻
Was more referring to finding him those extra 2 games in season 2024, then farewelling him during this current trade period. Win-win.

Hopefully not more Chins than a Chinese phone book!
I’ll never forget Jon Hay’s first photo in a NMFC top. Not sure there was any due diligence done back then

NEW North Melbourne forward Jack Darling says he didn't leave West Coast just to extend his career at the top level by a season or two and collect a paycheque.

The 298-game Eagles great was traded to the Kangaroos for pick No.67 in the second deal of the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period and said he was looking forward to having a serious on-field impact in North's rebuild.

"I still feel like I've got those seasons in me where I can kick 40 or 50 goals, and put on tons of pressure, and bash and crash," Darling told Gettable on AFL Trade Radio.

"I'm not just there to help young guys, I'm there to be a focal point up there with (Nick) Larkey and help the other guys out like (Zane) Duursma and (Cam) Zurhaar – I don't want name everyone but the list goes in – but I'm there to not just help the young guys.

"I want to lead the way and have a very strong finish to my career."
v345Afap.jpg

Jack Darling looks on during West Coast's clash against Geelong in round 24, 2024. Picture: Getty Images

Darling, 32, was left out of West Coast's side at the end of the season, leaving him just shy of becoming the second Eagles player behind Shannon Hurn to reach the 300-game mark.

"I could have got there in the last round this year but it wasn't to be," he said.

" I think the writing was on the wall for my football career at West Coast. I felt like to get two (years) and possibly a third at North was the best option for me.

"I feel like I've still got three seasons left of good footy in me, the way the body feels. If I'd stayed at West Coast, it was sort of maybe coming to an end quicker than that.

"For me, to extend my career as well, I felt like this was the best option and I'm looking forward to giving absolutely everything to the North Melbourne Football Club, as I have to West Coast for 14 years, fully committed." – Michael Rogers

Speaks well, and said all the right things, hopefully it works out well for him, and for us. Good Luck Jack

Was more referring to finding him those extra 2 games in season 2024, then farewelling him during this current trade period. Win-win.

Played 21 this year and was temporarily dropped right after Simmo got the boot. Went back to WAFL and kicked the sealer! I’m not big on finding games to make milestones in general, if you deserve selection you play. Potential exception for retirement games but even then I’m not really for it like we ended up doing for Gaffy this year

Whilst I’m not 100% confident Jack improves us much next year, I can be 100% confident he’s gonna look cherry ripe come preseason. Absolute work horse Monday to Friday.

Compare that to Zac “off-season” Fisher, they couldn’t be more different with their off-field application.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #?: Jack Darling - has officially been traded to NM from WCE in exchange for #67 - welcome Jack

Remove this Banner Ad

Back