Is the top 7 on the ladder set now?

Remove this Banner Ad

At this stage it looks like an unusually imbalanced season - if the Cats win tomorrow as expected, there won’t be a single team with a 3-2 record after 5 rounds, which wouldn’t have happened often before (if at all).
Last time it happened was in 1986.

After 5 rounds the ladder was:

1. Sydney = 20
2. Essendon = 16
3. Carlton = 16
4. Hawthorn = 16
5. Fitzroy = 16
—————————————-
6. North Melbourne = 8

All five clubs in the top 5 played finals.

If results go as expected there will be 2 games and percentage between 7th and 8th placed Collingwood after 5 rounds.

Would any of the current top 7 drop out? They all look in decent form.

You would have to suspect Bulldogs would win enough to get in the 8... Outside of the dogs... Hard to pick anybody at this stage... Maybe Giants/Richmond if they get their act together.
I certainly see Dogs in and Pies out.
Still also rate giants a chance with Toby back
My guess is they replace one of Dockers or Saints and if not, Cameron is done for good.
There no way a side with their talent should not make the 8, so if they fail to make it, he deserves the chop.
The problem is that with him maybe not locked in, the players kind of flakey with their performances as they not sure the coach will be there long term.
So they should make it, but if they do not, it a massive fail, not just for coach, but for whole management if in that situation towards end of the August.

Wouldn’t be pencilling in just yet.

Saints went 4-1 in 2019 and only win another 5 for the rest of the year, and our current wild fluctuations in games are unsustainable.

4-1 flatters us, and unless we improve we will regress to the mean.

Wouldn’t be pencilling in just yet.

Saints went 4-1 in 2019 and only win another 5 for the rest of the year, and our current wild fluctuations in games are unsustainable.

4-1 flatters us, and unless we improve we will regress to the mean.
We haven't been the best 4-1 team ever as well.

Rules have changed now. Most of the wce players who got knocked out wouldn’t be close contacts now.

It could go through freo but that would be a 1-2 problem maximum. Most of the Victorian teams have already had it during the preseason.
It wasn’t the rules, covid spread through the whole WC playing group. At the time, you could just wear masks and you would never be close contacts or limit interactions to less than 15 minutes or 2 hours at a time. WC didn’t take the threat seriously or were already writing the season off due to their preseason from hell.

It's possible, but this happens most seasons, an average side has a hot start then the wheels fall off, and a decent side starts poorly but get their shit together and make the 8.

In saying that there's always a bolter, so Carlton or freo, or both, could fill that role this year.

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if melb bris (both teams should be top 4) geelong st kilda and sydney dont play finals i think those 5 spots will happen.

Carlton should make it but they are still inconsistent and freo are a top 8 side on talent but they are quite young so they could fade at the back end. Collingwood are the most likely to drop out they are better than last year but still are not ready.

I think the bulldogs will make a charge and finish 7th-8th and they are too good not to. I can see the giants pushing for 6th-8th with the talent they have. Richmond look flat in parts to me and im not sure their midfield can challenge unless they get martin back.

The other 7 sides in the current bottom 10 wont play finals.

Once these top 7 teams play each other a bit more it will force changes. 5 games is not nearly enough of a sample size to determine anything as draws have been vastly different.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne Geelong Brisbane and Sydney will play finals. Fairly confident Fremantle will since they should win most games at home. Carlton is a worry because of how they fall away in the 2nd half of games, could be a lack of fitness which will hurt them later in the season. I'm not commenting on St. Kilda since i doubt I can be unbiased.

It wasn’t the rules, covid spread through the whole WC playing group. At the time, you could just wear masks and you would never be close contacts or limit interactions to less than 15 minutes or 2 hours at a time. WC didn’t take the threat seriously or were already writing the season off due to their preseason from hell.
Are you sure? This forum was full of Weagle apologists saying this wasn’t so, and just wait until Freo suffer the same fate.

I’m still waiting.

I would be very surprised if melb bris (both teams should be top 4) geelong st kilda and sydney dont play finals i think those 5 spots will happen.

Carlton should make it but they are still inconsistent and freo are a top 8 side on talent but they are quite young so they could fade at the back end. Collingwood are the most likely to drop out they are better than last year but still are not ready.

I think the bulldogs will make a charge and finish 7th-8th and they are too good not to. I can see the giants pushing for 6th-8th with the talent they have. Richmond look flat in parts to me and im not sure their midfield can challenge unless they get martin back.

The other 7 sides in the current bottom 10 wont play finals.

That's a fairly good summary, and similar to my thinking, but there's always that additional element of randomness in sport where a top 8 side get hit with injuries and it opens the door for a team finding form.

An even season makes it intriguing, although Melbourne are going to take some chasing down, very stable atm.

On form they look great over the first 5 weeks, but form can change, maybe over the next 10 weeks one or two of them lose form and one or two others hit their straps.

Most of those will make it IMO but wouldn't be surprised if one or two drops out. Couldn't say who necessarily, but it's still quite early.

If I look at who could possibly come in, then with varying probability I'd say Dogs, Tigers, Giants could nab 7th or 8th.

Maybe at a stretch the Hawks or Suns.

Brisbane and Melbourne look a lock for top 2 spots but anything outside of that is too early to say just yet

Richmond have a cake walk fixture, double ups Hawthorn, West Coast, Port, Essendon

The thing is, those teams might be licking their lips at the prospect of playing this Richmond outfit on exposed form as well. The line-up that they are putting on the park at the moment is just not that good and teams aren't scared of them like they used to be, especially without Martin.

A few of the top teams have had cream puff schedules so far and a few of the 2-3 teams have been a bit unlucky. At this stage I'd probably be writing off the 0-5/1-4 teams and maybe Gold Coast (given their tradition of looking pretty competitive in the early rounds and then barely giving a yelp once Winter arrives).

That's a fairly good summary, and similar to my thinking, but there's always that additional element of randomness in sport where a top 8 side get hit with injuries and it opens the door for a team finding form.

An even season makes it intriguing, although Melbourne are going to take some chasing down, very stable atm.

Most would agree melb are clearly the best team and theres a gap to the next you could consider geelong or brisbane 2nd best.

I think we will know more about carlton in a month if these fadeouts get worse with their list they should be top 8 but if they keep having fadeouts a team outside the 8 might take their spot. Likewise freo are young and can yo yo week to week.

I agree as it stands now i cant see anyone beating melb but injuries form and covid can change it pretty quickly...other than melb its a very open year i think even my team could win it if melb stumble, despite our age profile.

Most would agree melb are clearly the best team and theres a gap to the next you could consider geelong or brisbane 2nd best.

I think we will know more about carlton in a month if these fadeouts get worse with their list they should be top 8 but if they keep having fadeouts a team outside the 8 might take their spot. Likewise freo are young and can yo yo week to week.

I agree as it stands now i cant see anyone beating melb but injuries form and covid can change it pretty quickly...other than melb its a very open year i think even my team could win it if melb stumble, despite our age profile.
Sydney are the clear second best IMO

Hahahahaha Bulls##t!

You did a poxy poll at the start of the season on who will get the 2022 wooden spoon and threw freo under the bus as usual lol
That was done as a joke if you read the banter at that point.
I think there was a request in the middle of the usual Eagles v Dockers shit fight.

You have to give the fans what they want!! It's a neutral poll and my personal opinion is not relevant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the top 7 on the ladder set now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back