Oppo Camp Is Mundy Finished?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not bagging Mundy, he's responsible for how he plays. I'm definitely not bagging Mundy's manager. He has done an unbelievable job.

My question is, who from the Fremantle Dockers agreed to the deal. Everyone is accountable, Mundy is the most visible and the easiest target. My question is, who does the deals for the club ? They are not minor issues (players salaries) given we have a salary cap.

I think people/"members"/finacial contributors, need to know who represents them at the bargaining table.

OK, fair enough. Let me put it this way. Firstly we don't actually know how much Mundy is earning - unlike many (most) pro-leagues in the world, we don't know the details of AFL player contracts, any number thrown out there is speculation. What we roughly know is that it's relatively good coin and probably in the top 3 or so of our team.

Should the people responsible for that be held to account, sure, but they've done nothing wrong. When he was re-signed he was among our best players (and still should be form/fitness permitting) and so there's nothing wrong with the money he's earning. Is he being overpaid right now? Well yes, but you could say Moro is ridiculously overpaid too because he can't even get on the park at the moment - but that's not how it works. No list manager knows entirely what sort of injury or form slump is going to hit a player. Heck, before he had his horror injury, he was our most consistent player in terms of getting on the park.

So, with that in mind, getting all red faced enraged over the big money he's earning right now might be frustrating, but we can't blame anybody for it.

I'm not bagging Mundy, he's responsible for how he plays. I'm definitely not bagging Mundy's manager. He has done an unbelievable job.

My question is, who from the Fremantle Dockers agreed to the deal. Everyone is accountable, Mundy is the most visible and the easiest target. My question is, who does the deals for the club ? They are not minor issues (players salaries) given we have a salary cap.

I think people/"members"/finacial contributors, need to know who represents them at the bargaining table.

Obviously I'm not close enough to be club to be sure, but it must be the list manager (Bondy) and the coach (Harvs at the time), then you'd hope they would run the big contracts by the board. While it sounds excessive, we are very short of mids and it isn't restricting us in any contract negotiations...ie we can still offer big $$ for Clark and Cloke......but yeah I think better value for $$ would be nice.

Mind you, you always have to overpay players who are from interstate just to keep them due to the "homesick" factor.

OK, fair enough. Let me put it this way. Firstly we don't actually know how much Mundy is earning - unlike many (most) pro-leagues in the world, we don't know the details of AFL player contracts, any number thrown out there is speculation. What we roughly know is that it's relatively good coin and probably in the top 3 or so of our team.

Should the people responsible for that be held to account, sure, but they've done nothing wrong. When he was re-signed he was among our best players (and still should be form/fitness permitting) and so there's nothing wrong with the money he's earning. Is he being overpaid right now? Well yes, but you could say Moro is ridiculously overpaid too because he can't even get on the park at the moment - but that's not how it works. No list manager knows entirely what sort of injury or form slump is going to hit a player. Heck, before he had his horror injury, he was our most consistent player in terms of getting on the park.

So, with that in mind, getting all red faced enraged over the big money he's earning right now might be frustrating, but we can't blame anybody for it.

OK, if they've done nothing wrong, what are the names of the people who have done nothing wrong ?

Given that he (Mundy) has not played consistently good football and saved his very best for the months immediately before he signed a multi-million dollars contract, was any of the payment performance based ?

We need to know these things to know if the people doing these important deals are competent.

Obviously I'm not close enough to be club to be sure, but it must be the list manager (Bondy) and the coach (Harvs at the time), then you'd hope they would run the big contracts by the board. While it sounds excessive, we are very short of mids and it isn't restricting us in any contract negotiations...ie we can still offer big $$ for Clark and Cloke......but yeah I think better value for $$ would be nice.

So it looks like the answer is Chris Bond. I just wanted to know.

You can't always get things right but it looks like the Mundy deal wasn't the best but he's still got three years to go on that contract. He might give us some value down the track. At the moment though it looks like a terrible deal.

This year David Mundy has essentially stood up out of the wheelchair he had been sitting in since the end of last year and gone out to play.

You'll notice the correlation between extreme fitness and good ball use after heavy running loads.

I don't believe any other player on our list would have been allowed such a short time to build a running base before being played in a position that requires such a high amount of work.

This year David Mundy has essentially stood up out of the wheelchair he had been sitting in since the end of last year and gone out to play.

You'll notice the correlation between extreme fitness and good ball use after heavy running loads.

I don't believe any other player on our list would have been allowed such a short time to build a running base before being played in a position that requires such a high amount of work.

The level of fitness mids need to be at now is unbelievable.
I must say I was a bit naive to it, thinking mundy could do a limited preseason and away he goes,wrong.

Looking back on it now, mundy would've better off coming back mid year or later.

Don't come in here speaking common sense FFS !

I have noticed that this year, players in every side are more exhausted than previous years. At half time yesterday, players from both sides were hunched over for quite a while prior to walking off for the break.

The pace and ferocity of the modern game has gone up another level this year and anybody coming back from injury is exposed.

Mundy's fitness has never been his strength.

Hence, it took him 7 years to get in the midfield.

So what role does he have if he isn't fit?

He's too slow and not physical enough to be anywhere but the midifield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mundy's fitness has never been his strength.

Hence, it took him 7 years to get in the midfield.

So what role does he have if he isn't fit?

He's too slow and not physical enough to be anywhere but the midifield.

He has a role in our midfield. Sadly, a half-fit, out of form Mundy, is still better than almost anyone else we'd use in a similar role.

Mundy is just one of the symptoms of a problem that Freo has always had in its history. Poor list management, poor recruitment and keeping players that fester this "near enough is good enough" attitude.

The problem I see is that 3 out of 4 of our highest paid players suffer from this. Pavlich, Sandilands and Mundy are soft. No doubt about it, mentally soft. These are our leaders at the club and you can just tell that they are going to infect the younger players with this attitude just like the senior players (Bell, Black, Carr, Croad, Des) affected the younger players when they were up and about.

It's very hard to break cultures, just ask Richmond.

Seems a waste of breath, but anyway. Thought Mundy was very good in the first half but faded. I think he is further away from full fitness then he has suggested but should improve as the season goes on. Should of had a shot for goal from the fifty instead of trying to spot up a closely marked Pav, but hopefully his confidence will improve also (as long as he doesn't read this forum)

Mundy was our most important player and best player prior to injuries in the last two seasons.

I think he deserves better than this from the peanut gallery.

Same - whiteants is the word that comes to mind.

Same - whiteants is the word that comes to mind.

Yeah criticizing players for a string of shit games in a row in whiteant behaviour. We should give Mundy a 10 year contract at 1 million a year and never question him.

It's boggling to me that a player like Mundy on 750K elite midfielder pay escapes media scrutiny. If Sam Mitchell, Selwood, etc were playing as bad as this guy it would be talked about in the media constantly. Mundy because he's at freo no one cares how crap he is playing.

It's not even like Mundy is just getting low disposals and offering his usual weak defensive side but kicking it well, his turnovers make him an even worse liability than usual. Reminds me of steven dodd when he has the ball. 2 or 3 massive clangers yesterday going into the forward 50, just horrible.

I was at the dugout on Saturday afternoon and I noticed that Mundy was visibly stuffed every time he came off.

Other players weren't so exhausted, far be it for me to bring down the tone of the thread, but Mundy is still building his fitness.

I'm starting to think that there aren't as many high level athletes on this board as I thought there were, those people that know the difference between 14.1 and 15.1 in a beep test isn't 13 extra shuttle runs.

That Mundy can play at all speaks volumes, the man has gone from couch to AFL midfield in the space of a month. Most people can't run five kilometres in 25 minutes only a month off the couch.

Exhausted players make mistakes. Our players get exhausted when they run to the wrong places and turn the ball over and have to run back, our game style burns out our players which causes turn overs which spends more fuel tickets.

Teams like Geelong hit targets, knowing the player will be there and can efficiently move to their next set up point. We don't know our own game plan well enough to do that yet.

West Coast is a good example, suddenly they learned how to kick? No, they figured out their game plan and weren't completely stuffed when the ball hit their hands. There's no mystical reason that hard running players burn the ball more often.

There are too many of our top players either injured or less than fully fit for us to have a go at a flag this year, we shouldn't be ******ing our ability to win future flags by trying to prove a point this year. Our players might be ready to go at the end of the year but there will come a time when we have to make a call. Either win the premiership this year, or do some work towards winning it in future years.

An extra win this season that costs us a gun player won't be worth it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back