Is it just me...

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the odd things about footy is the way people always want to hang shit on anyone and everyone.

Lyon gets an offer he can't refuse from Freo and everyone instantly jumps on his back and they call him every name under the sun. These wheelings and dealings are unpalatable for some, but hardly worthy of the hysterical moralizing and grandstanding. If you didn't follow the footy, you'd be excused for thinking Ross Lyon was a bent copper or a disgraced politician. The criticism has been completely over the top.

Some of the St Kilda fans prefer to hang shit on their CEO, Nettlefold, as though it's all his fault not signing Lyon mid year when they were in the bottom 4.

Outsiders hang shit on St Kilda and Melbourne for losing out to Fremantle when basically, they've both been trumped by a club with more cash than they've got. Other people hang shit on Freo for paying out Mark Harvey's contract and signing a bloke they think will deliver them a flag. But where's the crime in doing that?

This thread takes a whole new angle on who we should hang shit on. This time it's all those fools in the media whose job it is to find these stories. But how could they have possibly known about it when the Freo power brokers and Ross Lyon kept this a secret? Once the story broke, they were all over it.

Barrett, Hutchy and Caro have to act as though they know everything, even when it's obvious they are in the dark. Not much different really to Mike Sheahan who pretends to be an expert on football, or the shithouse AFL coach who bluffs everyone into thinking he actually knows what he is doing.

It's all part of the game. We don't have to always point fingers and look for villains. Anyway, carry on. Feel free to hang shit on me for posting this worthless crap. It won't achieve much, but you'll probably feel better.

Is all this hype, vitriol and sensationalism how most footy people 'get emotional' these days?

Super sleuths are fed rumours intentionally by coaches,players,managers and clubs alike to help get their messages across.
It just goes to show if those not wanting anyone to really know whats going on keep their mouths closed.No one will be any the wiser.
Believe me when I say journalists aren't that smart and basicaly a pack of gossip mongering old Women(or blokes in Caros case):p

Yep. Real journalists uncover stories and shed some light on them. Footy journalists regurgitate rumours from the players/manager/clubs involved because they need these rumours to get oxygen. This then helps whatever they're trying to negotiate.

If you believed what you read, in the coaching stakes last week we had Ross Lyon talking to Adelaide and Burns and Craig heading up Melbourne and everything in between.

The footy media didn't get the Lyon story because they weren't spoonfed it. That should tell you how little digging they actually do and how biased their reporting actually is. Relying on sources (or thourtheth) to give you the story (or thtory) is just lazy.

Easier to keep things a secret when there are no managers around, I'd say.
Absolutely.
I actually loved the crap the journos started last night about how, 'they'd heard rumblings about Mark Harvey but didn't think that it was that bad.'

BS YOU KNEW NOTHING
Agreed. They had zero indication that anything was about to happen.
I love how during the week the Herald Sun was claiming they had the Scully defection first because Mike wrote a piece on how he is likely to defect.
Watching the 911 coverage last week I got sick of watching different tv networks (mostly American) claim, 'And now we speak to our news reporter John Smith who was first on the scene back on that fateful day!' Yeah, I call bullshit.

Agents, not clubs, are the biggest leakers of information. They are the scummiest of them all.

The fact that Ross Lyon engaged lawyers and not agents for his contract negotiations is probably the reason why nothing was leaked.

One of the odd things about footy is the way people always want to hang shit on anyone and everyone.

Lyon gets an offer he can't refuse from Freo and everyone instantly jumps on his back and they call him every name under the sun. These wheelings and dealings are unpalatable for some, but hardly worthy of the hysterical moralizing and grandstanding. If you didn't follow the footy, you'd be excused for thinking Ross Lyon was a bent copper or a disgraced politician. The criticism has been completely over the top.

Some of the St Kilda fans prefer to hang shit on their CEO, Nettlefold, as though it's all his fault not signing Lyon mid year when they were in the bottom 4.

Outsiders hang shit on St Kilda and Melbourne for losing out to Fremantle when basically, they've both been trumped by a club with more cash than they've got. Other people hang shit on Freo for paying out Mark Harvey's contract and signing a bloke they think will deliver them a flag. But where's the crime in doing that?

This thread takes a whole new angle on who we should hang shit on. This time it's all those fools in the media whose job it is to find these stories. But how could they have possibly known about it when the Freo power brokers and Ross Lyon kept this a secret? Once the story broke, they were all over it.

Barrett, Hutchy and Caro have to act as though they know everything, even when it's obvious they are in the dark. Not much different really to Mike Sheahan who pretends to be an expert on football, or the shithouse AFL coach who bluffs everyone into thinking he actually knows what he is doing.

It's all part of the game. We don't have to always point fingers and look for villains. Anyway, carry on. Feel free to hang shit on me for posting this worthless crap. It won't achieve much, but you'll probably feel better.
Couldn't agree more. Lyon can do what's best for his family and career. They come before his employer. They could have happily terminated his contract had St Kilda missed the eight. He could hardly tell St Kilda he was talking to Freo could he?

I actually loved the crap the journos started last night about how, 'they'd heard rumblings about Mark Harvey but didn't think that it was that bad.'

BS YOU KNEW NOTHING

Yes, it's laughable isn't it? If they knew or suspected anything, yoiu can best they would hgave splashed it all over the media networks they represent. The fact they said nothing is a true indication they didn't have a clue ... as usual.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back