Play Nice Is Gil really this much of a fool? Jobe's Brownlow and the commission's "hard" decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But one might be able to determine who was the best player in 2012. Jobe still holds that title at the very least.
Ben Johnson was the fastest man on earth at a certain Olympics as well , has he still got his gold? What about lance armstrong?

Maybe your skills got better. I don't think you can take "whatever" and expect your kicking to be better without doing anything else.
Once your body has been enhanced , it stays enhanced with minimal training

4278770-3x2-940x627.jpg
Is there anything that Essendon its supporters and players don't bring into disrepute?

The obvious question after reading Gil's quotes is what other decisions does he feel are too difficult for him to make?

Why is the AFL paying someone around $2M/year if they find a decision like this "difficult"?

I don't think that's something that can be proven or disproven. I guess we'll just have to assume it's a big coincidence that he had a career best year the year he happened to be doping. Career high in disposals, goals, tackles, clearances, brownlow votes. Just happened to poll 90% of his votes in the first half of the season when the team was still doping.

Until his hamstring injury (six rounds own sidelines) in Round 8, 2011 Watson had superior disposal figures for the same period against the 2012 season. He had also polled 11 votes to round 7 in 2011 compared with 13 votes to the same time in 2012. His 2012 stats were hardly the massive outlier that you and others seem to make them, indeed they are a logical progression from the exposed form he showed in 2011 prior to his injury.

He should not retain his Brownlow however, I have no problem with that - just the general view (not necessarily yours) that he was a "crap, plodder" before Dank arrived - which he clearly was not.

Until his hamstring injury (six rounds own sidelines) in Round 8, 2011 Watson had superior disposal figures for the same period against the 2012 season. He had also polled 11 votes to round 7 in 2011 compared with 13 votes to the same time in 2012. His 2012 stats were hardly the massive outlier that you and others seem to make them, indeed they are a logical progression from the exposed form he showed in 2011 prior to his injury.

He should not retain his Brownlow however, I have no problem with that - just the general view (not necessarily yours) that he was a "crap, plodder" before Dank arrived - which he clearly was not.

What is your point? What has any of the above got to do with him being found to have taken PEDs in the year of his Brownlow. He MIGHT have won it anyway if he hadn't but he did soooo?

What is your point? What has any of the above got to do with him being found to have taken PEDs in the year of his Brownlow. He MIGHT have won it anyway if he hadn't but he did soooo?
That's not the point I was making at all, I clearly stated his 2012 Brownlow should be rescinded. I was, however, addressing the view proferred by quite a few to suggest he was a one-year wonder who only produced an exceptional 2012 because he was "doped to his eyeballs", which is pure fallacy.

I suppose the AFL don't want to set the precedent of cheats returning ill gotten gains.

Otherwise they might need to send removal trucks out to Princes Park & Tullamarine.

That's not the point I was making at all, I clearly stated his 2012 Brownlow should be rescinded. I was, however, addressing the view proferred by quite a few to suggest he was a one-year wonder who only produced an exceptional 2012 because he was "doped to his eyeballs", which is pure fallacy.
Balanced and measured post, and which is entirely valid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Brownlow Medal is an AFL award. AFL's own anti-doping tribunal found him not guilty. He should keep it.
The AFL's anti-doping decision is irrelevant. A higher body found him guilty, a process the AFL signed and agreed to. The AFL also accepted the CAS decision.

The obvious question after reading Gil's quotes is what other decisions does he feel are too difficult for him to make?

Why is the AFL paying someone around $2M/year if they find a decision like this "difficult"?

Gil: We need to make a decision on whether Jobe keeps his Brownlow
Fitzpatrick: Well, make the decision.
Gil: How?
Fitzpatrick: You put a help wanted ad in the paper - for someone who can do your job.
Gil: :oops: Anything else?
Fitzpatrick: I just want to sweep this under the rug.
Gil: That's not easy to do
Fitzpatrick: You should include in the ad that applicants need to able to do hard things.

If Aaron Sorkin was scripting the AFL narrative.....

Once your body has been enhanced , it stays enhanced with minimal training
I don't think the job of the peptides was to make the kicking more accurate.

I guess if you really wanted to make a thin connection, you could say that the peptides are designed to reduce muscle fatigue, allowing the player to perform better for longer, and might therefore be less inclined to be as fatigued whilst kicking late in a game, thereby improving kicking. But more my point was, if you're a crap, inaccurate kick, peptides aren't going to fix that.

It's not the afl commissions decision, Cas applied the penalty all awrds to be stripped, are the going to break their own rules? There has been a n appeal by the afl and the players it has been thrown out, I guess they could appeal to the galactic senate ala Star Wars
Headline:
Watson Brownlow call to wait for November Commission meeting

Perhaps CAS has no jurisdiction over the awarding / stripping of the Brownlow

We need to organise multiple focus groups and start some public polling! And then hire a statistics company to determine which outcome will have the best result for the AFL's bottom line.

Only then will the AFL Commission be able make a considered, informed, intelligent decision on the matter.

It certainly has nothing to do with the fact this guy's a convicted drug cheat who coincidentally scored twice as many Brownlow votes in the year he was taking PEDs than any other year of his career. Nothing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back