Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:

And we shouldn't need to be rebuilding in the first place. Now we gotta hope and pray the blose, bombouts and tigs don't succeed in the meantime.
The list has been mismanaged, we all know this.
I don’t care about those other teams, only ours.

This whole notion that luck is real.. what a vlakia re.. wishing someone luck.. well.. whatever re.. you can use that sh*t as motivation.. to go out there and perform better.. everything has a probability and that re.. the probability that you will come across a biased umpire say for eg.. or some players or teams might have it harder or easier than others.. or you go over to the West and play.. the probability umpires will favour the Eagles is higher when compared to playing them at the G and that re.. well.. what do you do.. you prepare for it.. get in the umpires ear.. or perform harder at training.. or be sure to alert the group about it.. then go out and perform accordingly.

That's life re.. you come across people who are for or against you.. it's how you deal with em that's important.. luck has nothing to do with anything really. You look at Rocky taking on Drago in Russia and that re.. he won.. why?

You can look at it another way and say there's a crack in the pavement.. .5% chance of getting your foot caught in it and tripping over.. one day you do.. is that bad luck is it? No. It was your 1 in 200 moment. The probability was there all along.

Your ideas are intriguing to me, I wish to subscribe to your newsletter!

One of the key issues I have with Buckley that seems to be increasingly apparent is his inability to change the course of a match once things start going against us.
Was bleedingly obvious we had no hope once the swans got on top in general play because Buckley wouldn’t be able to arrest the momentum

One of the key issues I have with Buckley that seems to be increasingly apparent is his inability to change the course of a match once things start going against us.
Was bleedingly obvious we had no hope once the swans got on top in general play because Buckley wouldn’t be able to arrest the momentum

The gameplan is an issue, but we are coached to be a defensive side. This game style requires precision disposal by a good kicking side, which we are not. I don't know how the coaching department cannot see the lack of disposal efficiency in this team. We continue to play a game style not suited to this group of players, and of course we are going to continually turn the ball over and scored against.
As much as l am a fan and an appreciative member of what Buck's has given the club, we need a change of direction and fresh ideas in the coaching department.
The other concern for Bucks will be the regression of players, and l speak of Maynard, DeGoey, Grundy, WHE, Thomas, Sidebottom, Sier etc, all these guys have gone backwards in their careers, and we haven't seen the development of players who have been on the list for 2 to 3 years, as anything to be excited about.
I'm just thinking the voice and the message is now getting a bit mundane for this playing list.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The list has been mismanaged, we all know this.
I don’t care about those other teams, only ours.

Well you need other teams to compete against, otherwise it's pointless. The idea of competition is to be better than your competition, if you wanna live in fairy land where there is no competition then you go for it - but that's not reality mate.

IMO our handballing from the contest is our biggest issue. We go backward to a player who then usually goes sideways or back again before kicking to an option or kicking long. It does give players time to make a decision, but it also gives opposition time to set up behind the ball. We never seem to have the ball in motion and handball to a player ahead of the contest. That’s why our forward line looks so poor and our forwards rarely get space to lead into or 1v1.

In saying that, we did the same thing in 2018 and it worked, but from memory we had a lot more handball chains back then.

Well you need other teams to compete against, otherwise it's pointless. The idea of competition is to be better than your competition, if you wanna live in fairy land where there is no competition then you go for it - but that's not reality mate.
Whatever you say.

if 10 years, one review and entering a second review are not enough to say, hey you know what, you did your best, it didn’t work out, we think it’s time to change then I have no idea what is? 20 years and 4 reviews?
27 football managers, 108 scandals, 34 knee recos, 23 Board revolutions etc

if 10 years, one review and entering a second review are not enough to say, hey you know what, you did your best, it didn’t work out, we think it’s time to change then I have no idea what is? 20 years and 4 reviews?

Perhaps give Buckley a chance to match MM's record at Collingwood.. 2 more gfs (Inc premiership).. give the bloke a 20 yr contract.. for 30 yrs at the club min or whatever re.

I love Bucks. Always have. He’s been a star for the club. Gives his all every week as a coach too. But eventually all things must end. The end is nigh.

The reality is that this job will end in tears.
Everyone who jumps in the chair knows that.
It’s Nathan’s turn now to experience that.

The reality is that this job will end in tears.
Everyone who jumps in the chair knows that.
It’s Nathan’s turn now to experience that.
Melbourne sacked Norm Smith - check the no of flags he coached those jer^s to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back