Investigation into Essendon Fitness Program

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

[color=][/color]If the safe for human use argument was applicable in this instance we wouldn't be sifting through all this.

If it was the case then jobes comments would be as interesting as him saying he put Vaseline on his lips.

It appears it is nothing but a straw to clutch too and seemingly inane especially considering that there have been months to clarify its status and all we have heard is that it is banned/prohibited for athletes to use.

The only way around this is if someone gave the certified and quotable documentation that ok'd it's use.

In the words of Tim Watson....

"You've got to understand that the information that (the players) have been given and the explanation that they've been given is the reason why Jobe spoke so confidently last night."

Hmm who am I going to listen to. A clearly (and understandably why) biased Tim Watson or the head of WADA and the former head of ASADA?

Your club is in deep shit, time you started facing reality.

If it enhanced recovery from Chronic injury would it be ok to take?

Not if its banned. Steroids aid recovery, that and other medical matters, is what they were designed for but you can't take them if you are an athlete.

Wrong. There's plenty of research showing AOD was safe years ago.

From the paper I quoted:
Between 2001 and 2006 six human clinical trials with the hexadecapeptide AOD9604 have been performed, 893 healthy, in all but one study, clinically obese adults par- ticipated in these studies and are the basis of this safety evaluation

Also, for those saying "what about injections?"
"The test substance was either administered intravenously (studies METAOD001 and METAOD002) or as a capsule/ tablet."

Now, stop dealing in half-truths, and tell the nice people how many of those people were injected, and how many were given pills.

This is because, unless some other sports club has had a massive attack of stupid, its possible that Essendon Football Club have run the worlds largest and most comprehensive experiment of injectible AOD-9604 in the world.

I'd pay particular attention to Calzada/Metabolic's press releases around 2005-6. They use the word "oral" a lot.

Finally, remember when you're dealing with experimental drugs not approved for human pharmaceutical use, method of delivery doesnt actually doesnt matter for the WADA prohibited list.

Not if its banned. Steroids aid recovery, that and other medical matters, is what they were designed for but you can't take them if you are an athlete.

Dammit, I was waiting for him to take the bait.

Justin Charles was banned for using a steroid that aided recovery from a chronic injury. So you could argue not 'performance' enhancing but certainly banned.

http://calzada.com.au/wp-content/up...-of-the-Hexadecapeptide-AOD9604-in-Humans.pdf

Conclusion: AOD9604 displayed a very good safety and tolerabil- ity profile indistinguishable from placebo. AOD9604 did not result in any of the adverse effects associated with full-length hGH treat- ment.

I was asked about safety and answered, correctly

Rubbish.

I do some work in the biotech sector, safety cannot be assumed unless full trials are conducted ie phase 3, Metablocic failed a phase IIb and whilst it was on efficacy grounds the sample size, time frames etc were small so it is impossible to conclude it was safe.

All that can be say is it displayed no adverse side affects based on limited evidence. And aas others have noted Essendon were injecting it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wrong. There's plenty of research showing AOD was safe years ago.

From the paper I quoted:
Between 2001 and 2006 six human clinical trials with the hexadecapeptide AOD9604 have been performed, 893 healthy, in all but one study, clinically obese adults par- ticipated in these studies and are the basis of this safety evaluation

Also, for those saying "what about injections?"
"The test substance was either administered intravenously (studies METAOD001 and METAOD002) or as a capsule/ tablet."

Not healthy fit young men

Clinical trials began over 10yrs ago

And no follow up. You do realise how small a phase IIb is? That the doses are stepped and in a controlled enviroment? That they are given the treatment in isolation, not as part of a cocktail dreamed up by Dank?

Mix chlorine with brake fluid and see what happens, on their own no problems, together not so safe.

All the other shit aside, the most puzzling aspect of this episode now is why Essendon people are so confident they'll get off with nothing more than a slap on the wrist by the AFL.

It's been bugging me as well, but I've come to the conclusion that most of the rational Essendon posters must be just avoiding this topic like an AIDS-ridden leprosy patient, and so all we are left with is the absolute crack-pots who'll cling to anything to exonerate their club.

I do think it's an interesting psychological study into group-think and unequivocal trust though. It's this sort of boys' club lack of accountability that has got Essendon FC into all this hot water to begin with, thinking they are bigger than the law, and smarter than the professionals. Personally if it was my club doing this I would be absolutely filthy with them, for tarnishing their reputation, bringing the game into disrepute, and most importantly for potentially endangering a group of young men's lives and health in order to gain some slim advantage on the footy field. I also wouldn't be trusting anything coming out of their mouths right now and would be demanding responsibility be taken by the leaders; but even after all this smoke and mirrors the group-think coming out of Essendon fans is still 'in Hird we trust.'

And just so nobody thinks I am some biased Essendon hater, my own club recruited Angus Monfries in the off-season who is probably connected with this saga in some way. Now while as a supporter I'll be genuinely disappointed and upset if he is banned for a period of time due to taking banned substances at Essendon last year, I can recognise that in this case there are more important things at stake here than just winning games. The entire integrity of the competition has been compromised as a result of Essendon's actions, and if they're seen to get off lightly it sets a huge and dangerous precedent for future 'experiments.' The AFL and ASADA need to come down like a tonne of bricks on them, including Monfries if he is proven to have participated in breaching s0 of the WADA code.

It really is time for Essendon as a club and as a supporter base to own up to the fact that they have been caught cheating in a very bad way. None of this legal loophole, technicality stuff. If they own up now and accept their punishment with dignity and humility they might just save the little bit of their reputation which isn't already in tatters. If they have to be dragged to the docks kicking and screaming by the AFL and/or ASADA, it will only ultimately make the recovery process that much longer.

Man up and take responsibility Essendon FC.

Hmm who am I going to listen to. A clearly (and understandably why) biased Tim Watson or the head of WADA and the former head of ASADA?

Your club is in deep shit, time you started facing reality.

Oh John Fahey is correct, players are responsible for what goes in their body. Players took responsibility by asking doctors/scientists what the substance was and was it WADA compliant.
Players are instructed at the start of the year to consult their doctor over anything they put in their bodies. Essendon players did that. So it could be argued that EFC players acted responsibly.

Now the question is from where did the doctors get confirmation that AOD was legal? Who knows it may have been the same misguided ASADA official(s) that incorrectly advised ACC when they were working close together.

I honestly can't work out why Jobe would come out and say it. Apart from the club continuing to say they can't comment on the case (despite commenting on the case fairly frequently) - what is the gain here?

I see only two possibilities:
1) they think they're in the clear, and this is a message to their members and fans that "relax guys, we're in the clear"

Or

2) they're cooked, and the news is being slowly released (despite not being able to comment) in order to reduce the shock to the system when sanctions are handed down.

I can't see how they could be in the clear. Must be one hell of a loophole if you can get away with using a substance that WADA says is prohibited under S0, but if they've managed that then they'll be popping champagne corks.

Also - the AFL's silence is very strange. This isn't a good look for the game - the brownlow medallist coming out and saying that they've used a controversial substance but won't get spanked for it. Even if true I can't see the afl being all that happy about the statement.

There's a lot more to this. Simple explanations don't cut it in this situation.

The only semi valid one I can figure on this one is, perhaps ASADA are close to a conclusion.

With the AFL stating an August resolution, perhaps Essendon don't want it to drag on that far, and want to force the AFL's hand, good or bad.

Must admit though, not the ideal way of doing it. And, not completely sold on the idea, the only one that may have some sense that I have seen though.

And just so nobody thinks I am some biased Essendon hater, my own club recruited Angus Monfries in the off-season who is probably connected with this saga in some way. Now while as a supporter I'll be genuinely disappointed and upset if he is banned for a period of time due to taking banned substances at Essendon last year, I can recognise that in this case there are more important things at stake here than just winning games. The entire integrity of the competition has been compromised as a result of Essendon's actions, and if they're seen to get off lightly it sets a huge and dangerous precedent for future 'experiments.' The AFL and ASADA need to come down like a tonne of bricks on them, including Monfries if he is proven to have participated in breaching s0 of the WADA code.

It really is time for Essendon as a club and as a supporter base to own up to the fact that they have been caught cheating in a very bad way. None of this legal loophole, technicality stuff. If they own up now and accept their punishment with dignity and humility they might just save the little bit of their reputation which isn't already in tatters. If they have to be dragged to the docks kicking and screaming by the AFL and/or ASADA, it will only ultimately make the recovery process that much longer.

Man up and take responsibility Essendon FC.

where have they been caught cheating? Yes possibly stupidly irresponsible but hold your horses on the cheating.

Monfries worries me as well...would be fairly certain the Power would have sat down and asked exactly what was going on over there...based on what he's told them they may have a fair idea of the outcome and we would help him get though it. ..just a guess but you would think our medical staff would need to know.

I will feel sorry for the kids who wear their red sashed jumpers to the footy each week and who have no idea what a peptide is because, well, they're children.

I won't feel sorry for the arrogant and smug ones... you know who you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back