Toast Ian Callinan

Remove this Banner Ad

th

e thing is with Callian, is due to his lack of AFL games he may still get a 5 year career out of AFL, which will be quite lucrative for him IMO)

I reckon we could see our first 100 game 34 year old.

There have been few better kicks of a football on either side of the body to play for the AFC. His skills aren't just AFL elite - they're all time elite. When you're being compared to Fudd, how can they not be?

Nutta doesn't quite have the power off a step that Fudd had, but other than that, the similarities are there.

There have been few better kicks of a football on either side of the body to play for the AFC. His skills aren't just AFL elite - they're all time elite. When you're being compared to Fudd, how can they not be?

Nutta doesn't quite have the power off a step that Fudd had, but other than that, the similarities are there.

his ability on both feet is very much elite, Fudd and R Jameson being the only other players I can think of who could interchange feet so easily that played for the AFC.

I can't think of many other players on an AFL list that can do it like he does (except Walker kicking ofr goal, but that is just him being a goal hog).

Hopefully, injuries stay minimal and Callinan gets his just deserts.....

Walker is very much dual sided but he doesn't display it as much but mostly because his style of game doesn't require it. Dangerfield is just as good on his left as his right but he's not an elite kick so he doesn't count :p

Saw him talking to Riewoldt after the siren, was like a little kid. What a great story he is.
Riewoldt was on the Saturday morning footy show talking about the game. He made a point of highlighting Callinan and explained how they did all the same draft camps back in the day. He was very pleased to see him now doing well.

his ability on both feet is very much elite, Fudd and R Jameson being the only other players I can think of who could interchange feet so easily that played for the AFC.

Personally i'd have McLeod in that group too. Callinan's foot skills are amazing though, after the Sydney game i had to ask what his natural foot was because from memory he kicked all, or nearly all, his goals on his left.

He's a freak. All of last season I thought he was a left footer. It wasn't until he had a set shot in the pre-season cup & kicked it with his right foot that I realised.

The ultimate compliment.

You have to remember when Darren Jarman came from Hawthorn to us he was 28, Callinan was the same age. Jarman played till he was 34, Callinan still can play around 100 games for us if his body can let him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where are the football genius's that said he was too slow to make it as an AFL footballer. His pace over the first couple of metres is actually very good. I think with his new AFL level fitness he has actually found a yard of pace.

I will annoy you all by saying this but I doubt he will play past 31 at the latest.... Very few players in the modern game do unless they are blessed with pace..

Where are the football genius's that said he was too slow to make it as an AFL footballer. His pace over the first couple of metres is actually very good. I think with his new AFL level fitness he has actually found a yard of pace.

His ability to turn in an arc very quickly gives him an edge on players that may be a little quicker in straight lines but have slower turns. Makes him a handy goal sneak when you take his good kicking skills into consideration as well.

Just points out the stupidness of the way recruiting was going throughout the 00's. Didn't matter if you had footy talent if you weren't a certain body type you got ignored. Seems to be slowly balacing out slightly. See Paul Puopolo, Michael Barlow, etc.

You cannot teach footy smarts.

He's a freak. All of last season I thought he was a left footer. It wasn't until he had a set shot in the pre-season cup & kicked it with his right foot that I realised.

The ultimate compliment.

I thought he was a left-footer too until I read this just now. Boggles the mind to think of the left foot goal he kicked on Friday night, the non-preferred foot!

Just points out the stupidness of the way recruiting was going throughout the 00's. Didn't matter if you had footy talent if you weren't a certain body type you got ignored. Seems to be slowly balacing out slightly. See Paul Puopolo, Michael Barlow, etc.

You cannot teach footy smarts.

Amen brother. You can always teach a footballer fitness, but you can't teach an athlete football.

Like the turnover in the first quarter that led to a Saints goal?

He came back and did some good things in the second half of the second quarter, but my word was he bloody awful for the quarter and a half before that.

Why lie? Doesn't help anyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back