I seem to be the only one who thinks that

Remove this Banner Ad

He seems to have a good deal more composure than either Cook or Stanley, but I am still reserving judgement on Stanners until he gets an AFL game in the midfield.

I hope Mick really mixes it up in the pre-season games to give players like McCaffer, Stanley, Dick and Cox a go and to plop players like Medders up in the midfield. Medders wants to play in the midfield and it would allow us to place McCaf up as a small forward.

I agree, but Malthouse rarely experiments with the NAB cup games. If past years are anything to go by, Malthouse will again play a near full strength side in positions he expects to use players from the get-go.

I would love to see us experiment in the NAB cup (maybe not to the extent of having Shaw at CHB and Corrie at CHF as in your suggested team though).

The top five positional changes I would try during the NAB cup are

1. Reid at CHB. We need to find out whether this kid can play back there on talented forwards. I am convinced he will be a good player once he finds his feet.
2. Stanley in the guts all day. I don't rate him all that highly, but he has reportedly work hard in the off season and has form in the ressies. Deserves the first chance to grab Burns' centre role.
3. Wellingham significant time in the midfield. Give Sharrod an early go at a wing / mid spot. Just the sort of player we need to fire.
4. Barham in the side. Would love for him to get at least 3/4 of a game running hard on a wing. Should be the first of players to debut this year.
5. Steele at half forward. Bring him in in a non-critical position and give him a taste. I don't expect him to play more than 10 games in his first year, but would like a look during the NAB cup.

Yeah, a fair diagnosis Woodie. I left out Wellingham, but to me he is more composed and evasive than Stanley. I don't rate Stanley on form, but as the folk have suggested he has not been given a fair rip in the centre - so he's in.

I put Blight in but meant it to be Beams. Maybe you could replace Beams with Wellingham. I'd like to see Barham's form (I'm a sentimentalist) but have not heard much about his efforts in the pre-season.

I can understand MM's conservative approach to the NAB Cup - a dry run before the real deal - but I hope that we get some practice time into the youth at the elite level.

Here's a wee experimental team to try out the skills of the newies and experiment with new positions for older players, plus some experience:

FB: O'Brien, Prestigiamcomo, Goldsack
HB: Cox, Shaw, Anthony
C: Medhurst, Steele, Stanley
HF: Dick, Corrie, Cloke
FF: McCaffer, Dawes, Rusling
FOLL: Wood, Davis, Clarke

INT: Reid, Fraser, Swan, Blight

Like the Side but I would like to see Beams play so I would take someone out for him Maybe Swan

I put Blight in but meant it to be Beams. Maybe you could replace Beams with Wellingham. I'd like to see Barham's form (I'm a sentimentalist) but have not heard much about his efforts in the pre-season.

I would love to see Blight play but Beams would also be good to see

I agree, but Malthouse rarely experiments with the NAB cup games. If past years are anything to go by, Malthouse will again play a near full strength side in positions he expects to use players from the get-go.

I would love to see us experiment in the NAB cup (maybe not to the extent of having Shaw at CHB and Corrie at CHF as in your suggested team though).

The top five positional changes I would try during the NAB cup are

1. Reid at CHB. We need to find out whether this kid can play back there on talented forwards. I am convinced he will be a good player once he finds his feet.
2. Stanley in the guts all day. I don't rate him all that highly, but he has reportedly work hard in the off season and has form in the ressies. Deserves the first chance to grab Burns' centre role.
3. Wellingham significant time in the midfield. Give Sharrod an early go at a wing / mid spot. Just the sort of player we need to fire.
4. Barham in the side. Would love for him to get at least 3/4 of a game running hard on a wing. Should be the first of players to debut this year.
5. Steele at half forward. Bring him in in a non-critical position and give him a taste. I don't expect him to play more than 10 games in his first year, but would like a look during the NAB cup.

I've always thought Malthouse doesn't take the pre season comp seriously, has rarely named a full strength side & he hasn't been fussed about going beyond round 1 (with the odd exception). Off the top of my head I can recall him playing Nathan Brown & Brad Dick (in the midfield) a couple of years ago. Marty Clarke also got a run didn't he? May have been different last year as we were playing in the Middle East after the Sth Africa trip.

I'd love to see him and Barham get a crack in the NAB cup this year. Would be good to give them a taste and be great to see if they have any potential at the top level.

Very excited about seeing Caff play.

The rumour is; MM is taking the NAB Cup seriously this year. Personally, I never felt that he gave it the time of day.
Similar to 03 the only year i felt we took it anywhere near seriously

I hope we have a decent crack at it, but i hope that we also give some of the younger untried players like Caff, Barham, Beams and Sidebottom plenty of game time.

He's a forward, high half forward at best not a mid.
Caff's a really strong , smart , efficient footballer. Great hands, smart body work , good kick , reasonably quick, he just does alot right. The only question is whether he has enough tricks for AFL footy.

I honestly don't think he will be anything more than a handy depth player. He is an "in between" sort of player. I don't think he has enough outstanding attributes to be a star.

Those two posts sum it up the best for me. His not clean enough to really break in through the midfield or even hbf IMO. As others has said it's no suprise his played his best football this year when his been able to settle into a foward role. The lack of any x factor etc is true and his main weapon is when and where he leads aswell as his finishing ability. His not able to use this if his chasing kicks as a midfielder or chasing tale as a defender.

I like him as a player but he certainly doesn't have star ability as an AFL player where he will have to take on defenders who will be taller, quicker, stronger and as smart as him. He does have the ability to be a solid role player because he knows his game very well and plays very well to it. In many sides probably would have a role as a medium foward / hff but we have a lot of these with a lot more to offer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The rumour is; MM is taking the NAB Cup seriously this year. Personally, I never felt that he gave it the time of day.

I hope not.

Has served us very well to "go through the motions" in recent seasons and has held us in good stead for those seasons.

Younger players have grown both in belief and development and are on the right track.

The only seriousness I would like to see from MM in the NAB Cup is perhaps by giving players more game time in their preferred positions to see what they can do and what they can become, in particular to the youngsters who should be keen to impress.

I hope not.

Has served us very well to "go through the motions" in recent seasons and has held us in good stead for those seasons.

Younger players have grown both in belief and development and are on the right track.

The only seriousness I would like to see from MM in the NAB Cup is perhaps by giving players more game time in their preferred positions to see what they can do and what they can become, in particular to the youngsters who should be keen to impress.

I hope by seriously he intends to use it to further build on our fitness, flexibility and diversity for the real footy.

In light of the article in today's HUN, the rumour appears to have been accurate. :thumbsu:

In light of the article in today's HUN, the rumour appears to have been accurate. :thumbsu:

I think we should try and win the first 2 matches and then lose the third to bow out in the nick of time for the season proper. There is no advantage in winning it(except the extra cash)and it often causes a major downturn at some point in the season for most of the eventual winners.

Playing 3 games could be valuable to try out new draft picks and more particularly the blokes on the fringe such as Wellingam and Cox.

So put us down for 2 wins MM. That will do nicely.

^ I agree entirely with Kevin.

I've always thought that the ideal preperation for a season is to win the first 2 rounds then bow out gracefully in the semi final. That's about the perfect lead up imho. :thumbsu:

I hope Mick really mixes it up in the pre-season games to give players like McCaffer, Stanley, Dick and Cox a go and to plop players like Medders up in the midfield. Medders wants to play in the midfield and it would allow us to place McCaf up as a small forward.

It's great to stock up on young draftees, but there is a danger of superabundance and that we don't get to test out young players properly at AFL level - we might drop many before a proper go.

Here's a wee experimental team to try out the skills of the newies and experiment with new positions for older players, plus some experience:

FB: O'Brien, Prestigiamcomo, Goldsack
HB: Cox, Shaw, Anthony
C: Medhurst, Steele, Stanley
HF: Dick, Corrie, Cloke
FF: McCaffer, Dawes, Rusling
FOLL: Wood, Davis, Clarke

INT: Reid, Fraser, Swan, Blight

Lol, what were you smoking back then Spiceman? Corrie at CHF is an experiment even the Nazis wouldn't have been game to undertake.

I've always liked Macaffer and it was evident that he had a number of good attributes (strong hands, good in one on ones etc.) but I felt his games early in the year were too vanilla. However his 2nd half of the year was great. His grand final replay game was underrated, his 1st quarter especially was fantastic.

Remove this Banner Ad

I seem to be the only one who thinks that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back