How do you beat Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Move it quickly out of your defensive half to beat the press

2. Ensure you hit your targets; precision of skills

3. Kick straight, bad kicking is bad football (StK 10.10, Coll 14.5.... Enough said. And at least 4 of those behinds StKilda kicked were very very easy shots)

Not saying we would have won, but it would have been closer

I prefer the 2007 and 2009 PF wins over Collingwood on our way to winning two flags. Fine wins against your channel 9 watching, Abbott voting, Bogan-vilia. I also liked this win, two months ago. Look forward to its repeat next month:

[youtube]nDi2ZvkH5Uo[/youtube]

Enough of the Abbott Voting slander thanks....

3. Kick straight, bad kicking is bad football (StK 10.10, Coll 14.5.... Enough said. And at least 4 of those behinds StKilda kicked were very very easy shots)

what an absolute load of crap. saints kicked 2.3 to zip and had 12 to 2 inside 50 in the last 15 odd mins with the game done and dusted after falling 6 goals behind,. plus the pies were 2 men down on the bench by this stage. when the game was alive st kilda never genuinely threatened. to say a 19 pt margin flattered the saints is simply stating the obvious

fast, precise movement of ball by foot is the only way to beat the press. geel tried to play their usual game and handball their way through in last year's prelim and we all know how that ended up. there have been some interesting signs from the cats this year - there is no doubt they have modified their game plan a little, but in the loss to west coast at subi the 1st half resembled the 1st half of the prelim so much it was unbelievable. the cats could not find a way through the weagles press and were lucky to be as close as they were at half time. the weagles weren't aren;t good enough yet to sustain that level for a whole game and consequently geel got back into it in the 2nd half. but it was real evidence that the cats do still struggle against that style of footy

You play them with Rioli and Franklin in your side.
... and pray they have one of their worst days of the year!

As I've said elsewhere, where would you recruit half a dozen decent players at this stage of the year in order to be able to execute it though?

I'd say the only thing that's worried the Pies this year is kicking long and quickly to advantage. ie, the line forward of play has space opened up to one side or the other, and the kick comes quickly towards that space. Not necessarily kicking precisely but making the smart decision.

Trying to hold onto it and pin-point targets is disastrous IMHO. Can't let the zone set.

You know i've watched those final minutes about 10 - 15 times and had the umpire not blown his whistle Mackie would of tackled Pendlebury into the ground before any kick was released.
lol. Just as well you have God in your name because that's about the only way anyone could possibly know that for a fact. I happen to disagree just the same.

You know i've watched those final minutes about 10 - 15 times and had the umpire not blown his whistle Mackie would of tackled Pendlebury into the ground before any kick was released.
Would have been the first tackle he's stuck this year :p

Ling has shut down players much quicker than he is for years. He's probably one of the slowest players in the comp.

By no means do I think he'd keep Daisy to <10 touches or something but he'd certainly have a decent shot at curbing his influence.

Daisy doesn't like the really close niggling attention, either. The last time it happened he got suspended.
Go back and watch the first quarter of last year's final. Ling tagged Daisy and it was an absolute disaster. There is no way they'll play him on him. Daisy starts on a wing which allows allows him to beat his opponent by hard running. Ling would be better on Ball if anyone. He hasn't a good record on Pendlebury, Swan or Daisy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you not understand the advantage rule? The umpire would still have blown his whistle, it is irrelevant that Mackie stopped!

Any team can beat Collingwood!!

You could say the same about Geelong. Most people forget how great a side Geelong is. They have been up there for five years now, which really is amazing.

Hawks a looking great and so is Carlton and WC.

It's going to be a cracker of a finals series and whoever wins, will have earnt it.

lol. Just as well you have God in your name because that's about the only way anyone could possibly know that for a fact. I happen to disagree just the same.

Similar to how, had Pendlebury's goal been allowed, with 2:46 minutes to go, who's to say Geelong wouldn't of kicked another goal?

Similar to how, had Pendlebury's goal been allowed, with 2:46 minutes to go, who's to say Geelong wouldn't of kicked another goal?

Sick to death of this constant whinging about the goal!!
(a) Play stopped around him because the umpire had blown time on
(b) Collingwood still had a shot for goal...and missed! Skill error.
(c) 2:45 to play. We or they could easily have kicked goals in that time.
(d) Games are decided over 120 minutes of football.
(e) Scoreboard!!

Sick to death of this constant whinging about the goal!!
(a) Play stopped around him because the umpire had blown time on
(b) Collingwood still had a shot for goal...and missed! Skill error.
(c) 2:45 to play. We or they could easily have kicked goals in that time.
(d) Games are decided over 120 minutes of football.
(e) Scoreboard!!

f) It's all over a H&A game back in May.

See you guys R24 and beyond.

Collingwood are easy to beat in theory.

Sides have made them look average for small periods of games by moving the ball quickly and kicking long to put their defense under pressure where they then make mistakes and look shaky.

However doing this for 4 quarters, and without making mistakes that will open you up is the thing that i doubt any other team has the ability to do on a consistent basis.

Of course GF's come down to the one game so if the Woods are there it's possible a team could put it together on the day but all things being equal it's pretty unlikely.

They won't be beaten again in 2011 unfortunately.

They'll be remembered as the 2nd best team of All time after the Bombers of 2000

How would an 11 point loss in a season be better than single 3 point loss in a season???? :confused:

At this stage it's all about the aura.
Essendon never looked like losing a game whereas this Collingwood team have looked shaky on many occasions.

Geelong, Sydney, Essendon, Adelaide & Carlton (x 2) all Say "Hi" !!

At this stage it's all about the aura.
Essendon never looked like losing a game whereas this Collingwood team have looked shaky on many occasions.

Geelong, Sydney, Essendon, Adelaide & Carlton (x 2) all Say "Hi" !!

Just a had a look at 2000 records and plenty of sides made Essendon look ordinary for a quarter or two that year, your logic doesn't hold up.

And don't make me laugh with Sydney, Essendon or carlton ever being a chance against us.

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you beat Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back