Hayden Ballantyne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freo are not Carlton they don't trade out goal kickers

I seem to remember Freo trading a certain Paul Medhurst to Collingwood.

He was selected in the AA team in '08 and then gone from the Pies 2 seasons and 28 games later at the age of 28.

I seem to remember Freo trading a certain Paul Medhurst to Collingwood.

He was selected in the AA team in '08 and then gone from the Pies 2 seasons and 28 games later at the age of 28.

Medders was always a gun so long as you didn't put him on a plane before the game unfortunately. Couldn't play away from home to save himself.

Has there been a bigger individual disappointment this season?

A real fall from grace and now out injured for the remainder of the year. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ross the boss make a hard call on him at seasons end and put him up for trade.
How long has he been injured though?

Players carry injuries throughout the year and just battle on without us knowing. We're quick to roast them without knowing all of the facts.

How long has he been injured though?

Players carry injuries throughout the year and just battle on without us knowing. We're quick to roast them without knowing all of the facts.

He tore his pec, its an impact injury which happened saturday night. hasnt been carrying a torn pec.

Would be interested to know why he has lost form, its a bit unusual unless he has been carrying a pretty limiting injury?

Despite the fact that he's my least favourite Freo player (and his omission makes me like them more) , I don't wish injuries onto any players and am genuinely disappointed to hear this news :(
Hope he recovers and regains his form next year

Had no idea he was 28. Don't think I heard of him until 2011. Thought he was like 23-25
Mature age recruit, won the Sandover in 2008, we picked him up at pick 21, 2008 Draft as a 21 year old. Debuted in 2009, breakout season in 2010 but was injured on the cusp of our finals campaign.

Has had a tough year. Struggled to adjust to Walters back full time, increased attention due to his AA and a different Freo forward structure. Hasn't been able to get his usual separation from his opponents this year, did have a calf injury pre-season from memory and has struggled to recapture his form since. Also seems hampered either mentally or physically by his repeated jaw fractures last year, often grabs at his jaw after contests. Watching him live it is not for a lack of trying, but on sheer impact he is well down. A real shame for us, but hopefully can get his body right and freshen up in time for the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly think the biggest problem is that he doesn't act like a flog any more. He thrives on that. I can't stand him, but if I was his coach, I would be telling him to go out there and annoy the living sh*t out of everyone. Seems to fire him up and get him going as well.

My theory: Falls over too much through trying too hard. Over-commits to the contest too often, tries to change direction, falls over.

Ross doesn't like this.

Never heard a bloke so furious about bloke's slipping over. He has a point mind you!

Ross doesn't like this.

Never heard a bloke so furious about bloke's slipping over. He has a point mind you!
Yes, he has a point. AFL players should not be slipping over because they refuse to wear the right boots. 1st quarter sometimes understandable, any time after that is unforgivable.

Yes, he has a point. AFL players should not be slipping over because they refuse to wear the right boots. 1st quarter sometimes understandable, any time after that is unforgivable.

He named Sutcliffe as the only bloke doing the right thing - I take it from that he aint too happy with basically anyone else

It's a hard gig being a small forward, trying to make the most of limited opportunities. Then if you get too much of the ball, you are messing up the structure. And everyone hates on small forwards and doesn't rate them, then cry out that their team needs them.

Yep, and anytime a small forward doesn't kick 3 or 4 goals in a final they are a "choker".

He named Sutcliffe as the only bloke doing the right thing - I take it from that he aint too happy with basically anyone else
Has mentioned before his dislike of moulded sole boots. I don't understand why really. He's the coach, put the foot down.

Has mentioned before his dislike of moulded sole boots. I don't understand why really. He's the coach, put the foot down.
Players don't like screw ins because they are hard on the feet, also less give with screw ins so they are perceived to exacerbate ankle and knee injuries.

I think the playing group is coming around just quietly. Less fluoro jobs in our wet matches since his comments, although they were caught out again on the weekend with the rain not forecast.

Players don't like them because they are hard on the feet, also less give with screw ins so they are perceived to exacerbate ankle and knee injuries.

I think the playing group is coming around just quietly, although they were caught out again on the weekend with the rain not forecast.

I don't think it is a "freo only" problem. Simpson briefly touched on it a while back

I just think Ross is the most vociferous

Players don't like screw ins because they are hard on the feet, also less give with screw ins so they are perceived to exacerbate ankle and knee injuries.

I think the playing group is coming around just quietly. Less fluoro jobs in our wet matches since his comments, although they were caught out again on the weekend with the rain not forecast.
They are paid professionals and should what they're told, not what they'd prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back