Research Hawthorn history 1873-2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hey all!

I have made a PowerPoint on the entire Hawthorn history, dating back from 1873-2023. I completed it today, it was apart of my English digital literacy unit. I decided to do this and follow a passion of mine, given the freedom. Apart of this unit. Is posting the end result online, to a platform. Others have done it on TikTok, YouTube, or made their own websites. I have decided it's the best place to post here. I have contacted moderators of the board to post aswell.

Attached below is a dropbox link to the assignment. Happy to see the feedback, enjoy!

Hawthorn history completed.pptx

Posted originally on the Hawthorn board, with good responses and reflection. I decided to contact and try get more people to see it who may be interested!

Thanks for posting Dominic
Feel free to join own little community here

interesting stuff on your power point lot of which ive never heard before

Not sure i would have described Clayton Thompson ( circa 1954) as a talented schoolboy

Thanks for posting Dominic
Feel free to join own little community here

interesting stuff on your power point lot of which ive never heard before

Not sure i would have described Clayton Thompson ( circa 1954) as a talented schoolboy
Did some research on Clayton and it was pretty interesting, he was quite talented and his stuff pre VFL was good, just didn’t translate from what I saw.

And yeah idk how much of stuff I’ll do like this, but I’ll keep an eye out here!

Nice presentation. One small bit of history I stumbled across when doing the Grand Final History Podcast episode for 1935.

The Hawks had another lean year and there were threats that if locals did not support the club financially the committee would withdraw from the VFL. There were also rumours that the stronger VFL clubs were looking to push both North Melbourne and Hawthorn out of the VFL given their poor performance since being admitted. Ironic given the strong rivalry between the two clubs in the 1970s.

Towards the end of the 1935 season the players volunteered to play the last three games for no payment to help the club finances. They won all three games, the first time the club had won three in a row since joining the VFL. (Did they volunteer or were they volunteered? Either way they played better football and won the games).

The discussions about imbalance in the league and whether the stronger clubs should help weaker clubs during the 1930's all sounded very familiar and seem to get repeated every decade. Hawthorn is one club that has made up for its slow start in the VFL!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back