AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

So you honestly believe they'll be fine getting through the year without tiring?

Ok
It won’t at all surprise me, because we’ve got just the 2 mids under 20 who may need to play large minutes in the middle, the rest are all 21-24 years old.

You’re making a really strong judgement call off one game where the effort fell away.

What are the expectations for Fergus Greene 2023 and beyond?

187cm, low possession goal kicker in the VFL.

I expect something like 8 possessions, 3.5 marks, 1.1 goal per game in a side getting beaten easily most weeks.

I reminds me of a Josh Corbett type pick up. Someone that will probably play 30-40 games over 2-3 years but not really make it at AFL LEVEL. a stop gap whilst players like serong and butler develop in the VFL team.

Is that a fair assessment?
Are these type of players worth having on a rebuilding list?

Last edited:

I expect something like 8 possessions, 3.5 marks, 1.1 goal per game in a side getting beaten easily most weeks.

I reminds me of a Josh Corbett type pick up. Someone that will probably play 30-40 games over 2-3 years but not really make it at AFL LEVEL. a stop gap whilst players like serong and butler develop in the VFL team.

The club rates him. They'll be hoping for and expecting something around that 25-30 goal mark for Ferg if he plays a full season.

He looked out of sorts on Sunday, but to be fair so did most of the side.

I think he was recruited as a mature replacement for Gunston, he was already much loved around the club across men's and women's teams and fit a role left vacant, he is really good for our culture. I think it's worth noting If it wasn't him we would still have Gunston instead for the next 2-3.

If he becomes a player that's a bonus but with the amount of young guys already in the team even if he is a placeholder or a stepping stone for the likes of Serong to overcome it isn't the worst selection. Competition for spots is a good thing with a young list.

For what its worth on sunday he looked dangerous at times and kept presenting which isn't something that could be said for many of the other forwards. If we had someone like Lewis in the team drawing attention I think we would see the best of him.

Free throw at the stumps.

From a list build perspective, we don’t have many other players who fit that “3rd mobile tall forward” position, who kick between 20-40 (depending on their own ability and clubs performance) per year. Furthermore, they’re not the sort of players you build your team around - ball-winning midfielders, key position players - so it’s not really a position we’d want to invest too much draft capital while we’re rebuilding

I’d say he plays that role for us for the next couple of seasons, and at that point he’s the incumbent until a better option comes along. Most clubs have a player similar to him, and probably half at least have one playing each week

Appears as though the number 1 pick is a lock - grab Harley Reid. Use the pre season draft threat at the trade table and grab an uncontracted young player from another club without using too much draft capital.

Tough year and maybe a tough few years ahead but better to do the rebuild right and stock up on elite talents to go with the few they already have

Appears as though the number 1 pick is a lock - grab Harley Reid. Use the pre season draft threat at the trade table and grab an uncontracted young player from another club without using too much draft capital.

Tough year and maybe a tough few years ahead but better to do the rebuild right and stock up on elite talents to go with the few they already have
A lock after Round 1?

Can we at least lose 2 or 3 games first? 😂

Maybe people could see how 17th and 18th from last year fair against other teams before claiming Hawthorn as spoon favourites.
If we lose to North in round 3 I am watching Harley Reid highlights every night before bed until draft day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A little hard from the outside to know what they really have right now and therefore what they need.
Even this far out I’d almost bet the house that if we have pick 1 on draft night we’ll take Harley, and if we have Pick 2 or 3 we’ll bid on Walter and then take the next best tall forward.

We’ll throw money at Himmelberg, because why wouldn’t we, but he’s likely headed to Geelong.

Even this far out I’d almost bet the house that if we have pick 1 on draft night we’ll take Harley, and if we have Pick 2 or 3 we’ll bid on Walter and then take the next best tall forward.

We’ll throw money at Himmelberg, because why wouldn’t we, but he’s likely headed to Geelong.
Himmelberg's entire family now reside in SA - he might be taking a hard right turn at Albury.

Your whole list across the board is young in itself because for some unknown reason Mitchell decided to get rid of the experience heads that would help shoulder the burden from these young kids.

So get use to many more thumpings coming your way. Who's going to protect and shoulder the load when they get to the mid year point and young fellas start to tire?

Your two experienced midfielders today were Amon and err Worpel.

I think we have cut to hard but needed to the 2004-2008 side had more experience then this side and it got games into the kids.

Is Reid that good you wouldn’t do what North did to get 2 picks in the top 5 for pick 1.

Is there any good young midfielders Victorian coming out of contract this year that are in other states.

Is Reid that good you wouldn’t do what North did to get 2 picks in the top 5 for pick 1.

Is there any good young midfielders Victorian coming out of contract this year that are in other states.

I think he is. For me, Reid is a Martin/Dangerfield/Petracca type player. Can break a game open and win it himself. They dont come along that often and you can build a premiership side around them.

Our midfield is set for 10 years, we dont need any more mids. Mackenzie, Ward, Day, Newcombe, McDonald and Worpel with Weddle (pick 18), Stephens (pick 16) and Hustwaite (pick 38) offering plenty of promise too. Amon and Morrison are good wingmen too.

Defence has some concerns but our forward line is where we are are ****ed!

All that said, even with all the KPF talent in the top 10 this year, I still take Reid!!

I must not have been paying enough attention because that's the first I've heard of a Geelong link for Himmelberg.

Very early days, but Weddle doesn’t look anything special for what the Hawks gave up for him.

Why is Jack Scrimshaw playing VFL?

What have you seen so far? Some insight would be great

What have you seen so far? Some insight would be great
Just the practice game he played against Geelong and half a VFL game I watched on the couch hungover

Looked a long way off the pace against the Cats. Did a couple of ok things in the VFL.

What are your thoughts on him?

It was a lot to give up to get him in the door

Fine with what they are doing. Being stuck in no mans land (7th to 14th) helps nobody. Bottom out completely and hope for as little short term pain as possible. Probably shouldn't have given Amon the deal they did as he isn't the type of player to elevate a young group, more the cherry on top of an established side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Hawthorn 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back