DGB - trade/delist
Philips - delist
O’Sullivan - delist
Bennetts - delist
Reeves - trade
Mitchell - trade
Wingard - retire
Serong - trade
Think we try to hold onto Morrison, Reeves, Seamus and Serong unless they leave/ask to be traded… we need depth in case of injury - particularly if Meek goes down or needs a rest - we’d be in trouble without Reeves

Ruck - imagine we’d bring in a Rookie/2nd tier to cover. Plus we have Ramsden.

Mitchell - has trade value. We have Bailey until 2026 who has no trade value. Also have Bodie Ryan who is highly touted half back.

DGB - no contract and with Battle, Barrass in plus Bodie, McCabe for the future.

Sullivan/Bennetts - no games in 3 seasons? Plenty of similar types ahead of them.

Serong - see players coming in and developing. One of few players with trade value we can afford to let go.

Still plenty of depth with players coming in through trade/FA and our developing high picks.

Can’t keep stagnating players on a list. Need to be moving forwards always.

I would like to try and keep Serong, he looks like he could be decent. Mitchell as well has some good traits and he showed a bit last year.

Reeves would be handy to keep as a backup ruck as well but he will most likely be heading to WC as part of the Barrass deal I think

Morrison again I would like to keep but it all depends if he gets a better deal from another club (I reckon Norf would be keen on him).
Clarko loves HM

Clarko loves HM
Does HM love Clarko is the question, if he has other offers, he may not.

I am hoping he is loved by clubs that are losing FA's and so do atleast a steak knives deal of pick in 30's or 40's.

But given his performance, I hope we have a 2 yr offer with trigger for 3rd in front of him. Excellant role player & any club that wants him has to overpay.
If Serong asked for a trade, the club might accommodate.

As it stands, the club would NOT be looking to trade him...

Again he is well worth keeping and unless someone offers decent overs( pick in late teens or 20's or we are able to move up any of our picks with equivalent of pick in 20's)

DGB can be risked via delist and see how the draft shapes up & take a rookie spot if needed.

Bennetts has to be retained.

Mitchell too & only overs has to be listened to.

I think Sic gets the Hardwick treatment over summer and trains with the forward group a fair bit. He's done enough down back and is natural enough there that I doubt he needs to train much over preseason.

I do think in an ideal world he plays as the 3rd down back because that's where he's at his most damaging. Scrim moves to a Birchal-esque role. Can certainly see merit in Sic playing forward a bit next year, especially if Dear has some 2nd year blues or Gunston's form dips (both very possible). Scrim would be a great 3rd tall down back too.

Really love how much flexibility we have now.

I think Sic gets the Hardwick treatment over summer and trains with the forward group a fair bit. He's done enough down back and is natural enough there that I doubt he needs to train much over preseason.

I do think in an ideal world he plays as the 3rd down back because that's where he's at his most damaging. Scrim moves to a Birchal-esque role. Can certainly see merit in Sic playing forward a bit next year, especially if Dear has some 2nd year blues or Gunston's form dips (both very possible). Scrim would be a great 3rd tall down back too.

Really love how much flexibility we have now.

I don't disagree with this but I imagine all the backs will need some time to get used to a new system and key pieces (e.g. B1 and B2).

Sic might be good enough to slot straight in but the new boys will need time to work out his positioning etc if we intend on playing him down back

Problem with Butler is he doesn't have the footy IQ to play as a small forward. Gets completely lost there at AFL level.

His best position IMO is as a high half forward/mid where he can use his pace and power but we currently have better options.

I would have agreed based on his 2023 output but from all the reports he was one of the standouts during the preseason. It's such a shame the injury happened when it did because we never got to see how he would have fit with the new forward line.

I'll back him to come back breathing fire for another crack next year. If he comes on it will add another dimension to the team. I just pray the leg injury doesn't hasn't affected any of his agility or speed.

Feel like frost has to play next year. So Barrass Battle Scrimshaw seem like the 3 for talls. Frost plays either tall or small given his flexibility. I would still play weddle back similarly with impey and Hardwick to make the 7. Push Sicily forward as a CHF who can intercept the ball coming out from oppo defence as we lock it in whilst having cover behind him so he can be aggressive in that role. Loving that lineup.
Looks like wingard stephens philips DGB and JOS will get cut. Bennetts stays as Cat B. That gives 4 spots less 2 for barrass and battle. Without any other trades either way we then would simply delist someone and re-rookie and take 2 picks at the draft.

I think Sic gets the Hardwick treatment over summer and trains with the forward group a fair bit. He's done enough down back and is natural enough there that I doubt he needs to train much over preseason. .
Not sure how much of preseason sic will see, isnt he having a shoulder op which may require extensive rehab?

The more I think about it the more I am reluctant to let HM go.

Last Friday night was an absolutely HOT game and the Port Pressure was through the roof and it really stood out for me just how calm and composed Harry was compared to a lot of our other bigger names.

I feel like you try and keep a player who has played two good finals games, he has shown he is up to the pressures we will face in coming finals campaigns.

Not that I would begrudge HM taking a better offer but I really hope we make at least something close to the mark as he seems a Hawks man through and through and I think he would prefer to stay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more I think about it the more I am reluctant to let HM go.

Last Friday night was an absolutely HOT game and the Port Pressure was through the roof and it really stood out for me just how calm and composed Harry was compared to a lot of our other bigger names.

I feel like you try and keep a player who has played two good finals games, he has shown he is up to the pressures we will face in coming finals campaigns.

Not that I would begrudge HM taking a better offer but I really hope we make at least something close to the mark as he seems a Hawks man through and through and I think he would prefer to stay.
And has the character each and every time dropped to go back and be very reliable, dilligent, a leader… and at times dominate. Never have i seen him drop to uncompetitive through disappointment.
True club man. Worth his weight in gold.

And has the character each and every time dropped to go back and be very reliable, dilligent, a leader… and at times dominate. Never have i seen him drop to uncompetitive through disappointment.
True club man. Worth his weight in gold.
Absolutely agree about HMo. He doesn’t sulk or complain, just gets on with it. When it is his time to come back into the seniors he does it well - North Melbourne game, Carlton game. For a player taken late in the draft, he has more than proved his value to the team. Hopefully he signs the contract extension that the club has offered him.

One thing I think we have learnt with Cooper Stephens is that it's perilous trading with Geelong.

I honestly struggle to recall any recent instances of another club getting a Geelong discard who then kicks on and becomes a player? Their player development is best in the business and if they can't get a player to be AFL standard it's doubtful we will.

Mind you Stephens was really just a steal knifes kind of deal but still a valuable lesson.

Always better to trade with the likes of Gold Coast and Essendon in the hopes of getting another Scrimshaw or Massimo.
Have mentioned several times now that Geelong didn't want him to go and were blindsided when he wanted to move.
Internally he was a very big part of their plans .

Unfortunately for him injury probably got the better of him along with the rapid improvement of our other young players .

The above take is just incorrect.

Interested to find out our delistings, spots are really tight... we currently have 37 senior listed and 7 rookie listed players + 1 Cat B rookie.. the maximum is 36-38 senior and 4-6 rookie (Cat B rookie sits outside) for a total of 42 list spots, we're at 44 because of Blanck and Butler (long term injury)

I'd suggest we'll delist Wingard, O'Sullivan, DGB & probably trade 1 player (Reeves or Serong) if Morrison doesn't leave as a free agent. Assuming Battle and Barrass come in that's 35 senior listed with the AFL draft rules needing us to draft 3 players including Blanck probably being upgraded to the senior list.

Rookie spots will be a little more straight forward, I think we'll delist Stephens, Phillips, Tucker (if Reeves stays) + upgrade Blanck to the senior list, this would leave us with 3 rookie listed players with at least 1 spot likely open for a mature player in the rookie draft.

So, that would mean we draft 2 players in the national draft + upgrade Blanck with 1 spot open for a rookie list spot. We've also got the basketballer joining our Cat B rookie list.

Battle kicked 2 goals against us in Round 9 after being named in the back pocket. I think Lyon swung him forward at one stage as it was low scoring match and they needed more scoring options.

His only other goal in 2024 was against West Coast in Round 19 however.
Battle was a forward for his entire junior career. Named at CHF in the u18 All Australian Team.

Sicily obviously played as a forward for us in his first couple of seasons.

Both examples of players who moved into defence very early in their AFL careers and have stayed there .

Absolutely agree about HMo. He doesn’t sulk or complain, just gets on with it. When it is his time to come back into the seniors he does it well - North Melbourne game, Carlton game. For a player taken late in the draft, he has more than proved his value to the team. Hopefully he signs the contract extension that the club has offered him.
Sorry Timmy I just don’t think he’s lived up to the investment. Pick 73 was Nick Larkey after all and 76 Mitch Lewis. ‘‘Twas a deep draft…😉

We are not getting rid of all our depth. We get any injuries and we are playing 18 year olds. 10 players leaving is way too many for where we are at
We just finished 6th, winning twice as many games as last year.

You don’t turnover 1/4 of your list after that. Would be insane.

Battle was a forward for his entire junior career. Named at CHF in the u18 All Australian Team.

Sicily obviously played as a forward for us in his first couple of seasons.

Both examples of players who moved into defence very early in their AFL careers and have stayed there .

Much like Hardwick was a prolific goal scorer in junior footy and it was only really this year he started playing there in the seniors.

Depends on what he gets. If it's just a bankart repair he should be back in everything by end of Jan. Will be running and doing weights by Nov/Dec.
I would presume it would be a SLAP repair which would be 12 weeks? A physio might know more.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back