Other Gridiron DVDs, Books, Documentaries

Remove this Banner Ad

Puff piece. Trying to make him a sympathetic guy.

It was so bad I knew that the Florida one would be the same. And glad I didn't waste time on an Urban Myer PR doco, and happy to see it made all CFB fans who know the Florida or Myer story mad about how soft it went
came off the opposite

Even shows him let his mate the the blame for all of his **** ups and then ****s him over

Last edited:
came off the opposite

Even shows him let his mate the the blame for all of his * ups and then *s him over
His mate who he hasnt spoken to since his last year at A&M.

He is a self-destructive mess and it came off as a PR piece for him.
I know people who are bipolar and dont act like him. Like im supposed to feel bad about someone who burned every bridge he could and made a plan to spend every cent he had made then kill himself.

No one looked good in it. Parents let it happen, He was either to dumb or willing to let people use him because he also used them to make $. the coaches especially Kingsburry who knew he was a trainwreck but he was a winner so its fine.

as far as the Gators one which im glad i didnt waste time watching given how its a whole bunch of nothing.

Here are 20 things Netflix forgot to address in Swamp Kings.
1. The 911 call where Meyer’s wife, Shelley, believed Urban was having a heart attack — and how it led to his first retirement from Florida after the 2009 SEC Championship Game loss to Alabama.

2. The return not long after that, and the worst season of his 6 years in Gainesville in 2010 — which ended with Meyer declaring the program was “broken.”

3. Less than a year after declaring his was retiring from Florida because of “medical issues,” and that he wanted to “spend more time with my family,” Meyer took the Ohio State job.

4. More than 30 player arrests at Florida in 6 years, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

5. Former backup QB Cam Newton stealing a student’s laptop, and getting kicked off the team. In 2008, then-Gators OC Dan Mullen told Meyer that Newton was a better player than Tebow, and if you’re looking for the best player at every position after a disappointing 2007 season, Newton was it.

Don’t believe it? Listen to Connor O’Gara and Mullen on the Saturday Down South podcast.

6. Ignoring the best player on the 2 national championship teams (the good and the bad). Florida doesn’t win either title without superstar WR Percy Harvin (more on that later).

7. Ignoring the impact of QB Chris Leak, who wasn’t a fit for the spread option offense but made key throws week after week in the 2006 national title season.

8. The documentary begins with team captain and star S Tony Joiner screaming in the locker room, motivating his teammates. The same Joiner who was arrested after police said he tried to steal a girlfriend’s car from a police impound lot. Instead of paying a $76 fine.

He was suspended early during game week, and reinstated by Meyer on Friday so he could play Saturday. Joiner, who was Tebow’s roommate during that season, was never disciplined. He is currently in prison, convicted of killing his girlfriend.

9. All things star TE Aaron Hernandez, who among a series of problems in Gainesville, allegedly shot a gun into a car outside a nightclub. Witnesses placed star safety Reggie Nelson and the Pouncey twins (Mike and Maurkice) at the scene.

Months later, law enforcement investigators showed up at a Gators practice — at practice — to interview the Pounceys. Nelson had already moved on to the NFL.

In 2017, Hernandez committed suicide in prison, nearly 4 years after being convicted of murder. The only Swamp Kings acknowledgment of Hernandez’s tumultuous time in Gainesville was Tebow, of all people, taking responsibility for Hernandez hitting a man outside a bar, saying in the documentary he should’ve gotten Hernandez out of a “racially-charged” situation sooner.

10. Ignoring the impact of the Pouncey twins, who were critical in the development of the team’s rare instinct and physical drive.

11. In 2009, Florida graduate assistant coach Zach Smith was arrested on a charge of aggravated battery on his pregnant wife, Courtney. Meyer sent staff member Hiram deFries — who he called his “Life Coach” — to her home in order to convince her to drop the charges, Courtney told Action Network’s Brett McMurphy.

deFries followed Urban to Ohio State, and Zach Smith’s domestic violence issues at Florida and Ohio State were eventually exposed by McMurphy’s reporting.

Meyer stated in the Netflix documentary that former Ohio State coach Earle Bruce was his mentor. Smith is the grandson of Bruce, and the problems that followed him to Ohio State eventually led to Meyer’s 3-game suspension in 2018.

Meyer retired from Ohio State at the end of the season, citing medical issues.

12. Star DE Carlos Dunlap missing the 2009 SEC Championship Game — the game the documentary says was the end of Meyer’s magical run — because of a DUI charge.

13. At one point during the 2008 season, multiple sources said Harvin physically attacked wide receivers coach Billy Gonzales, grabbing him by the neck and throwing him to the ground. Two assistants pulled Harvin off Gonzales — but Harvin was never disciplined.

Meyer told me later in 2012 for a story I wrote at Sporting News, “Something did happen and something was handled. I don’t think it’s fair to Percy Harvin or Billy Gonzales to talk about it.”

14. In 2010, star RB Chris Rainey was arrested on a stalking charge after he texted his girlfriend, “Time to die, bitch.” Two weeks later, he scored a touchdown in a critical overtime win over Georgia.

15. Star CB Janoris Jenkins failed a drug test at Florida under Meyer and was arrested for his part in a bar fight. He was later arrested twice on charges of for possession of marijuana within the first few months under new coach Will Muschamp, and was kicked off the team.

Jenkins later told the Orlando Sentinel: “If Meyer were still the coach at Florida, I’d still be there.”

16. Meyer hid failed drug tests at Florida, multiple sources told me in 2012, by having players wear walking boots on game day — instead of admitting players were sitting out as part of university policy.

17. In 2007, OT Ronnie Wilson was charged with aggravated assault, battery and use of display of a concealed weapon during commission of a felony, after police said he shot an semiautomatic rifle after arguing with another man.

Wilson was suspended for a season, brought back in 2008 and eventually kicked off the team after reportedly failing a drug test.

18. In 2007, S Jamar Hornsby was cited for misdemeanor property damage and criminal mischief for allegedly throwing a man onto the hood of a car during a fight. He wasn’t punished by Meyer.

He later was arrested for unauthorized use of a credit card after making more than 70 fraudulent charges on the gas credit card of a female UF student who died seven months earlier. He was then kicked off the team.

19. Meyer’s “Circle of Trust” of players he protected because they were the elite of the team — the very thing that led to the program-deflating entitlement. When I asked Meyer about the Circle of Trust in 2012, he said, “I’ve never heard of that in my life.”

In 2014, on the field of the Superdome in New Orleans after Ohio State upset Alabama in the Playoff semifinal, I asked Ohio State DT Michael Bennett how Meyer changed things so quickly, and Bennett responded, “It’s our Brotherhood of Trust, man.”

20. In 2009, Meyer threatened Orlando Sentinel reporter Jeremy Fowler for using a quote from Gators WR Deonte Thompson about Tebow that multiple media outlets used.

Meyer confronted Fowler after practice, during a postgame media opportunity, and called Fowler, “a bad guy.”

“If that was my son, we’d be going at it right now,” Meyer said. “Be very careful.”

His mate who he hasnt spoken to since his last year at A&M.

He is a self-destructive mess and it came off as a PR piece for him.
I know people who are bipolar and dont act like him. Like im supposed to feel bad about someone who burned every bridge he could and made a plan to spend every cent he had made then kill himself.

No one looked good in it. Parents let it happen, He was either to dumb or willing to let people use him because he also used them to make $. the coaches especially Kingsburry who knew he was a trainwreck but he was a winner so its fine.

I disagree on this one!

It addressed everything that needed to be addressed, the fact that the domestic violence incident was even mentioned and addressed to me shows it wasn't exactly a puff piece. I just thought it could've gone into much more detail on his NFL career, almost felt like an afterthought in the last few minutes.

It also looked over the bi-polar and suicide stuff pretty quickly too imo, which should have been explored much further.

To me it was a tale of someone who got too famous too quickly, and didn't know how to handle it because nobody was looking after him, they were all along for the ride. I think most people would have ended up similar to him.

The Florida doco on the other hand is shit, I'm not finishing it. Puff piece crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

30 for 30 is back tomorrow with a doco on the 97 heisman race between Charles Woodson and Peyton Manning. 9pm on ESPN2
and then 9pm on Thursday the Reggie White 30 for 30 that features a new interview from a few months before his death in 2004

Anyone with Amazon Prime should check out Bye Bye Barry. Doco on Barry Sanders.

Well worth the watch. Actually goes into some depth on his premature retirement.
yes they have.

I saw someone say it was a PR piece for Kraft and made a smear campaign against Bill. and that almost everyone other then Kraft comes out looking worse.

But anyone dumb enough to watch it got what they deserve.

I saw someone say it was a PR piece for Kraft and made a smear campaign against Bill. and that almost everyone other then Kraft comes out looking worse.

But anyone dumb enough to watch it got what they deserve.
Why would watching it make someone dumb? It's entertainment, that's all it is.

Anyone with half a brain could see it was skewed to look more friendly to certain individuals.

I took it for what it was, enjoyed watching for the 10 eps.

Why would watching it make someone dumb? It's entertainment, that's all it is.

Anyone with half a brain could see it was skewed to look more friendly to certain individuals.

I took it for what it was, enjoyed watching for the 10 eps.
If this was funded, edited and produced by NFL Films it would be a better thing.

Its clear the Patriots with Man in the Arena and this have tried to do a Last dance thing and seem to have missed that the only person who looks good in that was Jordan.

I said you would be dumb to watch it because from the trailer it was clearly a Kraft agenda. which it seems this was just Kraft propergander and many have seen through it.

If this was funded, edited and produced by NFL Films it would be a better thing.

Its clear the Patriots with Man in the Arena and this have tried to do a Last dance thing and seem to have missed that the only person who looks good in that was Jordan.

I said you would be dumb to watch it because from the trailer it was clearly a Kraft agenda. which it seems this was just Kraft propergander and many have seen through it.
Having watched it, I think all three of them (Brady, Bill, Kraft) end up looking pretty poor in various aspects. Deflategate, spygate. All three come across the wrong way. They had a chance to clear the air and they didn't.

Yes they've made Bill look to be the reason it all ended - so what, he was a huge part of the reason Brady left. That's not exactly news.

There's plenty of others interviewed that provide great insight throughout. How dour and unhappy they all were in the season they lost to the Eagles. Danny Amendola saying he felt cheated when Butler was forced to sit on the sidelines in that SB.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back