Opinion Greatest Docker of All Time - Pav or Fyfe?

Has Fyfe surpassed Pav?

• Yes

• No

• Still Too Early To Tell

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

This is actually harder than I thought tbh. My loyalty to Pav says it's him, and right now - it absolutely is.

But he was just shy of his 35th birthday when he retired. And he had seen the club through its darkest days and chosen to stay, despite huge offers from Adelaide, Collingwood and Geelong. He is, and will always be, an all-time legend of this club.

Fyfe has just turned 28. Let's just say he's still with us in 7 years time. Imagine what he will have / could achieve in that time. He has seen this club through it's second great slump, and chosen to stay, signing a monster 6 year contract coming off a 4-win season, when the offers on the table from other clubs, especially as a free agent, would most likely have trumped whatever Freo was offering.

Both these extraordinarily talented players, well-spoken and intelligent men have shown incredible loyalty to a club that has not exactly been the cream of the crop.

Pav dragged Freo out of the mire, and led from the front, giving us some respectability and relevance in Victoria and beyond. Fyfe - with his two Brownlows, his standing as the best of the best, and his continual talking up of the reasons he wants to be here, now has his chance to lead from the front to drag us up once more to become a club deserving of respect.

Pav's going to take a lot of beating, but this is a question best asked when Fyfe retires. We might say 'both', and the B&F can be renamed to the 'Pavlich Fyfe Medal'.

From a neutral, as a player it’s Fyfe

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

True. Not that I would argue that Fyfe is the best ever Docker (you know my enduring and never-ending love for Pav), but more that he should potentially have more accolades. And yes, Fyfe is likely the better player, but Pav was incredible over many, many years, and probably doesn't get the recognition he deserves (outside Freo). But humans can be fickle - a new shiny toy is almost always preferred to an old one they've been playing with for years. Pav is the greatest ever Docker, Fyfe is the best ever Freo player. That's my personal assessment anyway.
Yep. Nathan will never be 'ours' like Pav was.

Both have been sensational for our club. Pav must still hold pole position as best for what he gave to our struggling club in the early days.Remember , we recruited Pav as a forward.In the early days we used him as anything but that.About the only position he wasn't used was as a ruckman. Yet he still averaged as close to two goals a game.
Fyfe came in when we began to be a force.He had an arm chair ride.And in saying that, I am not trying to take anything from him and his contribution.
When he becomes our first premiership captain, and wins another one, if not more Brownlow medals.Then becomes another of our players to make the 300 club, then I don't think there will be any doubt about who was best.

This is actually harder than I thought tbh. My loyalty to Pav says it's him, and right now - it absolutely is.

But he was just shy of his 35th birthday when he retired. And he had seen the club through its darkest days and chosen to stay, despite huge offers from Adelaide, Collingwood and Geelong. He is, and will always be, an all-time legend of this club.

Fyfe has just turned 28. Let's just say he's still with us in 7 years time. Imagine what he will have / could achieve in that time. He has seen this club through it's second great slump, and chosen to stay, signing a monster 6 year contract coming off a 4-win season, when the offers on the table from other clubs, especially as a free agent, would most likely have trumped whatever Freo was offering.

Both these extraordinarily talented players, well-spoken and intelligent men have shown incredible loyalty to a club that has not exactly been the cream of the crop.

Pav dragged Freo out of the mire, and led from the front, giving us some respectability and relevance in Victoria and beyond. Fyfe - with his two Brownlows, his standing as the best of the best, and his continual talking up of the reasons he wants to be here, now has his chance to lead from the front to drag us up once more to become a club deserving of respect.

Pav's going to take a lot of beating, but this is a question best asked when Fyfe retires. We might say 'both', and the B&F can be renamed to the 'Pavlich Fyfe Medal'.
Good write up until the last sentence.It must always remain the Doig Medal.We are losing enough of our history .

Good write up until the last sentence.It must always remain the Doig Medal.We are losing enough of our history .

Yeah, fair enough. Maybe I was getting a bit carried away, I knew not everyone would agree with that. I do, however, think they were a bit too quick to call it the Doig Medal - as if they were trying to prove their 'Fremantleness' right from the start, which I don't think they needed to do.

Called Fremantle, located at Freo Oval in the very heart of Freo, a bloody anchor on the jumper, the purple of the wharfies singlets (haha imagine if they wore high vis back then like they do now), the red and green for the lighthouses at the North and South Moles - there was more than enough in that to say 'We are the Fremantle Football Club'.

I think we should have waited a bit to develop our own history and champions, and named the medal after say 20-25 years. I hate to say it (like I REALLY hate to say it), but I think the weags got theirs right by calling it simply the B&F until they had someone worthy of naming the award after.

Yeah, fair enough. Maybe I was getting a bit carried away, I knew not everyone would agree with that. I do, however, think they were a bit too quick to call it the Doig Medal - as if they were trying to prove their 'Fremantleness' right from the start, which I don't think they needed to do.

Called Fremantle, located at Freo Oval in the very heart of Freo, a bloody anchor on the jumper, the purple of the wharfies singlets (haha imagine if they wore high vis back then like they do now), the red and green for the lighthouses at the North and South Moles - there was more than enough in that to say 'We are the Fremantle Football Club'.

I think we should have waited a bit to develop our own history and champions, and named the medal after say 20-25 years. I hate to say it (like I REALLY hate to say it), but I think the weags got theirs right by calling it simply the B&F until they had someone worthy of naming the award after.
I disagree, The history of Fremantle has not been embraced enough for mine.The history from both South and East has been ignored,other than the name Doig.That name represents both sides of Fremantle in the history.
We have ignored what we wanted to represent.We wanted to be Fremantle. But we have failed in my opinion.Sadly, but understandably, we no longer are in Fremantle.But that was due tot he Town of Fremantle not doing enough to keep us there.
But that is my opinion.

I disagree, The history of Fremantle has not been embraced enough for mine.The history from both South and East has been ignored,other than the name Doig.That name represents both sides of Fremantle in the history.
We have ignored what we wanted to represent.We wanted to be Fremantle. But we have failed in my opinion.Sadly, but understandably, we no longer are in Fremantle.But that was due tot he Town of Fremantle not doing enough to keep us there.
But that is my opinion.
No problem. We're all entitled to our own opinions, and that's what it's all about. As a die-hard Souths supporter, I would have been happy to have been called the Sharks to have that connection to East Freo, and maybe the B&F the Stephen Michael Medal. I dunno tbh, just throwing some ideas out there. But I really do dislike the Americanisation of wharfies to 'Dockers'. Stupid nickname (not that I would want wharfies!!). And not that my opinion is going to change anything anyway. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bought my son a Fremantle jumper for his 8th birthday way back in 2012 . He wanted a number on it as they do and twenty nine it had to be. I said to him Pav is a great player but he is at the end of his career , Why don't you put #7 on your new guernsey as he is the next big thing. He agreed and i saved $9 at Slatter Gartrell.

For me to beat pav he needs to play another 100+ games as captain and take us to the big dance again
Pav represented us for so long with pride, loyalty ( being an SA lad) and dedication also being one of the best utility players the games ever seen
Fyfe is doing an amazing job and I hope he does surpass pav one day !
FOREVER FREO

GUMBLETON%20Scott.png

No contest.

Nathan still has a bit to go...if he can get two or three more seasons without too many injuries then he'll be up there. At the moment virtually comparing two careers (Pavlich) to one (Nathan) in terms of games.

I think Pav will always be the greatest Freo player because he was so goddamn versatile and could impact no matter where he played on the ground (and he surely would have won two brownlows if he played as a midfielder his whole career). Oh and the minor feat of kicking 700 career goals haha. Fyfe is already Freo's greatest ever midfielder though, and I can't see that changing by the time his career ends.

pav is my favourite docker but fyfes won 2 Brownlows that pretty much says it all different positions though and forwards don't win Brownlows so it's still hard to compare

Back