Review Grand Final, 2024 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• [1] Kai Lohmann

• [3] Joe Daniher

• [4] Callum Ah Chee

• [5] Josh Dunkley

• [6] Hugh McCluggage

• [7] Jarrod Berry

• [8] Will Ashcroft

• [9] Lachie Neale

• [13] Logan Morris

• [15] Dayne Zorko

• [16] Cam Rayner

• [23] Charlie Cameron

• [26] Conor McKenna

• [28] Jaspa Fletcher

• [30] Eric Hipwood

• [31] Harris Andrews

• [32] Darcy Fort

• [33] Zac Bailey

• [35] Ryan Lester

• [37] Brandon Starcevich

• [40] Jack Payne

• [43] Noah Answerth

• [44] Darcy Wilmot

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot has been mentioned about we were 13th after round 7.
But as you can see from the ladder below, we were still 13th after round 11.
Hawks a great effort also sitting in 15th place at that stage
Amazing effort from the Lions from that point on with half the season already completed.
Only lost to the Giants and the Pies and we should have won both those games.

In hindsight those 2 losses were probably a blessing.
The boys new they had had a great winning streak going, and top 4 or 2 was possible.
Those losses a reminder to the group that you need to do better to win a flag.
They did just that.
History will show they were the best side in 2024 and their journey to make and win the ultimate prize in AFL will be shown many times in the future.

Now we just need the AFLW to show the boys how to win back-to-back

View attachment 2127359
I know i should be focusing on us on the ladder but i did have a chuckle to myself at Essendon :D

I expect the VIC footy mafia to start campaigning to get us less games at the MCG because clearly we're getting better at it and it's too much of an advantage that we get to play so many games at the home of the GF.
Interesting point is that our current gameplan is absolutely made for the MCG.

The GF win also has a big financial impact for the club.
I believe the Pies got $1.25 million from the AFL last year.
If the AFLW Lions team can win enough games, we may be a chance to win the McClelland trophy.
The Demons won last year and pocketed a cool $1 million

Also, merchandise sales for premiership winning clubs are usually substantial.
The trick with merchandise is to not over order and be stuck with stock
A link below to an article from October last year is well worth a read.

The GF win also has a big financial impact for the club.
I believe the Pies got $1.25 million from the AFL last year.
If the AFLW Lions team can win enough games, we may be a chance to win the McClelland trophy.
The Demons won last year and pocketed a cool $1 million

Also, merchandise sales for premiership winning clubs are usually substantial.
The trick with merchandise is to not over order and be stuck with stock
A link below to an article from October last year is well worth a read.

The McLelland Trophy makes no sense if as winners of both the men’s and women’s team as premiers we don’t win it.

Will we get more matches at the mcg now?
I don't think so.
Maybe the AFL will be able to squeeze in 1 extra over the 2 games we got this year excluding finals.
By winning the GF i hope we miss playing the Dogs at Ballarat again in 2025.
But expect we play the Cats at their home ground GMHBA seeing the last 2 years have been at The Gabba
We have not played the Hawks at The Gabba since June 2019.
The AFL know it will get a sellout Gabba crowd but i recon it will be at Marvel or the MCG.

I don't think so.
Maybe the AFL will be able to squeeze in 1 extra over the 2 games we got this year excluding finals.
By winning the GF i hope we miss playing the Dogs at Ballarat again in 2025.
But expect we play the Cats at their home ground GMHBA seeing the last 2 years have been at The Gabba
We have not played the Hawks at The Gabba since June 2019.
The AFL know it will get a sellout Gabba crowd but i recon it will be at Marvel or the MCG.
Maybe we'll play the Hawks twice?
Given our crowds in Melbourne this year, North, Saints and Bulldogs would probably want to play us in Melbourne and GWS / Suns elsewhere.

The McLelland Trophy makes no sense if as winners of both the men’s and women’s team as premiers we don’t win it.
Only the H & A games are counted which is strange seeing the ultimate success for any club is a premiership.
I can go along with it just being success for the H & A season if it is fair.

It is an old traditional trophy that i and many other AFL followers did not know existed or mattered much.
I believe it was originally for the seniors and reserves.
They can't include the reserves (VFL) now as not a true national competition as all 18 AFL clubs not represented at VFL level.
So now it's just AFL & AFLW.

How do the AFL make the McClelland trophy relevant again.
Simple, in 2023 adding a $1 million prize to the winner. $500k shared between both groups of players and $500k to the club.
That may make it relevant but not fair. It's not a true indication of how successful a club was during that season.
Then to add confusion they decided an AFLW win gets double the points because they don't play as many games as the men.
Why do that. The AFL are weighting an AFLW win twice as important as the mens win.
Giving the women the same points for a win is a much farer option in my opinion.

Only the H & A games are counted which is strange seeing the ultimate success for any club is a premiership.
I can go along with it just being success for the H & A season if it is fair.

It is an old traditional trophy that i and many other AFL followers did not know existed or mattered much.
I believe it was originally for the seniors and reserves.
They can't include the reserves (VFL) now as not a true national competition as all 18 AFL clubs not represented at VFL level.
So now it's just AFL & AFLW.

How do the AFL make the McClelland trophy relevant again.
Simple, in 2023 adding a $1 million prize to the winner. $500k shared between both groups of players and $500k to the club.
That may make it relevant but not fair. It's not a true indication of how successful a club was during that season.
Then to add confusion they decided an AFLW win gets double the points because they don't play as many games as the men.
Why do that. The AFL are weighting an AFLW win twice as important as the mens win.
Giving the women the same points for a win is a much farer option in my opinion.
I remember it as a kid.

In the old VFL Record they had a page of the Seniors, Reserves and u/19’s ladder and then the McLelland Ladder which obviously changed each week and was based on the win/loss record of a clubs three teams.

Maybe we'll play the Hawks twice?
Given our crowds in Melbourne this year, North, Saints and Bulldogs would probably want to play us in Melbourne and GWS / Suns elsewhere.
We could
I believe the Hawks finished 6th after the finals.
I think the final order is: Lions, Swans, Port, Cats, Giants, Hawks

We will play each of them once but not all the 5 a second time
This year we played 3 top 6 teams twice and i expect the same next year.
It won't be any more than that.
At a big guess i see Swans, Cats and GWS being the 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Grand Final, 2024 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Back