Review Good/bad/ugly vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

In no way at all did we deserve to win, so it was the right result.

That being said, the bizarre free kick against JVR somehow ended up being the difference.

Oh well, onto the next time we shit the bed as favourites against a decent team under lights at the G.

The bare minimum to when you've been knocked out of finals by these campaigners and humiliated by the last two results is to ****ing rock up in the first quarter and have a dip

In no way at all did we deserve to win, so it was the right result.

That being said, the bizarre free kick against JVR ended up being the difference.

Oh well, onto the next time we s**t the bed as favourites against a decent team under lights at the G.

We’ve never played well in big games at the MCG under goody barring two finals in 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t not rock up the first quarter and expect to win.

And * the AFL and their five day breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yep, as soon as the 1st happened, we gave up the right to win the game.

I remember Neale Daniher said 'footy sucks sometimes' after a Dees loss when he was coaching.

Tonight was certainly it, won't write us off, but, horrible game of footy, we had it lost early, pisstake to get that close.

Long season, but, can't let those performances again.

Ugly
Absolute horrible first quarter AND that is the big issue that they need to take away from this.

Good
But after that I thought Melbourne was the better team more so in the second half so I don't feel they deserved to lose this but you can't give up a first quarter like that.
Really happy with Wowoedin (that is how you impact a game as a sub).
McVee is gold I thought the entire defence was fantastic (I accept that McDonald made a mistake but that should not define his game).
I think Oliver is building, but slowly.
Moving Petracca to more time in the forward was a solid coaching move.
Gawn is AA Ruckman by a long way at this point.
ANB really played well I thought as well.
Viney had a mixed game but he never gave up which he showed.

Bad
Billings is not anywhere near the player I thought he would be, His field kicking and decision making is terrible generally, I would like to see Hunter come in or Wowoedin take his spot.
Goal kicking accuracy really really hurt the team.
JVR and Petty, if this team wants to win a GF they need to offer more a lot more.

No matter what they have dropped three games now so only got room to drop one or two more to make top 4.

Last edited:
Can’t not rock up the first quarter and expect to win.

And * the AFL and their five day breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Don't worry back to the late Sunday Graveyard shift in Perth next week followed by a Sunday arvo against the saints :rainbow:

Walsh carved us up. Again! Put a tag on him FFS. Kills us every single time.

That first quarter was the worst quarter I've seen in years. Cost us big time.

I knew the umps would play a fn part with this mob. Say what you want, they never go our way against this club. That dangerous tackle was a disgraceful call.

Goodwin/Stafford have had 3 years to sort out that forward half and we still lose the same way. They have NFI what they are doing or how to fix it. Smashed them in F50's again, yet lose the match. Treading water under these coaches tbh.

Our tall forwards are probably the worst in the comp. Petty, JVR and Turner! Get in the bin! Played too tall on a wet night again. How many times have we seen that? Too many

Trac was godlike. Probably the only highlight.

Can we bin Thursday night games? Rubbish. Always one side on a shortened break and the games are nearly always putrid. 2 Friday night games from now on please.

Counts as much as the Brisbane game champ. Lost our last 3 against Carlton and are 2-7 against the Pies at the mcg under goody.
I'm first in line to bag Goody, don't get me wrong. But we won a huge game at the G just last week. I get that counts for little compared to the finals, but we have shown we can play well at the G against good oppo. We clearly don't do it often enough

I'm first in line to bag Goody, don't get me wrong. But we won a huge game at the G just last week. I get that counts for little compared to the finals, but we have shown we can play well at the G against good oppo. We clearly don't do it often enough

I just think we aren’t good enough, and it’s so bad that it’s in front of the home fans. It particularly hurts that it’s been at its worst against the blues and the pies, not to mention our last 4 finals…

Only able to watch the second half, and not sure what to make of that. Effort there from what I saw (no idea what happened in the first half, obviously) particularly given the 5 day break, but still some dumb football and classic MFC frustrations along the way. But incredibly we probably should have won that in the end but for some bad kicking and that stupid disallowed goal.

Good:

• Petracca nearly winning it off his own boot. He's probably going to need to find a way to do that more often since he's having trouble breaking the midfield tag.
  • Gawn finishing off strongly despite being up against two full-time rucks the whole time.
  • Actually playing the conditions decently in the last quarter. Think it's the first time I've seen us look competent in the wet. First half was probably a different story, though, I'm sure.

Bad:

• Forwards not able to compete in the air until the last ten minutes. Delivery was terrible at times too - we kept kicking it to the defender's advantage - but the amount of times we broke down at half forward was criminal. Probably too tall under the conditions, too. (I know it wasn't a possibility, but McAdam in for Turner would have provided a much better balance.)
  • Inaccuracy in front of goals, and failing to translate inside 50 dominance into meaningful chances. How many times have we said that in recent times against the Blues?
  • Not sure about the decision to leave Petracca forward for the final centre bounce. I get that he was running hot and he was our best chance of scoring, but he's also the guy you want in there when you need a vital centre clearance.

Ugly:

- Matthew Kennedy's head. Oof, poor bugger.

I'm sure the hot takes will be flowing all evening, but I'm not going to read too much into the game tonight or the result last week. Before the fact, I would have taken an 8-point win over the Cats in exchange for a 1-point loss off a 5-day break to the Blues, and we're still in it at 6-3. We're not playing out best by any stretch, and we're not a premiership threat at the moment, but it's encouraging that we're competing against top teams despite having a number of players in mediocre form and our not being able to consistently execute a threatening game-plan. On current form we're a 5-7 ranked team (Geelong, Sydney, GWS and Collingwood are the main contenders; us, Port and Carlton are the rung below) but I think we still have significant scope for improvement. Whether we get that improvement is, of course, another matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back