FTA-TV Gladiators returning to TV

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been binge watching the UK version this weekend - I totally forgot about when our series ended.

Man I love the campiness of this, it does such a better job of reprising that mid-90s fun than ours did. The slow-mo when people take big falls or bumps is amazing :D
I completely forgot about it too. Will have to get back into it on the missus work days as she hates it 🤣

I find it amusing, sometimes confusing, when the gladiators clearly go softer on some opponents than they do on others, in some events. Sometimes it's an attempt to even up the scores, so one competitor doesn't have a 20 second head-start in the eliminator. Sometimes the reasons are less obvious, and may be due to something happening off-screen.

I wonder why the producers of the new series of Gladiators in Australia didn't realise the 1990's show was successful because the men were bone crushing brutes and the women were like very sexy assailants.
I found nothing to like to about season one and glad it's been cancelled.
I have a confession to make. A radio station in Perth had a competition where they would put around the city life-size cardboard cut outs of the gladiators and you had to find them and hand them in for vouchers. I found 6 and kept them because I loved the men and the women. But I was particularly pleased to find Storm, Rebel and Delta. I wouldn't have even minded going against them in Hang Tough and having their legs wrapped around me for 60 seconds.

needless to say, it's not coming back for season 2

Quite simply, Channel 10 did it on the cheap and opted to burn the episodes over 3 weeks (then 2 weeks when the ratings tanked).

One of the big criticisms of the 2008 revival in the UK was that the set was too small and production was cheap. They corrected this for their revival, returning it to an arena (albeit a smaller arena than the original) and going all out on the production. Their revival has been successful with season 2 now confirmed.

It was clear Channel 10 saw how cheap the 2008 revivals were done and then doubled down on it. The production values on our version were awful, and borderline comical.

Then there’s this stupid idea of stripping the show over several nights a week. It needed to be on once a week. It simply doesn’t work as a stripped format.

Quite simply, Channel 10 did it on the cheap and opted to burn the episodes over 3 weeks (then 2 weeks when the ratings tanked).

One of the big criticisms of the 2008 revival in the UK was that the set was too small and production was cheap. They corrected this for their revival, returning it to an arena (albeit a smaller arena than the original) and going all out on the production. Their revival has been successful with season 2 now confirmed.

It was clear Channel 10 saw how cheap the 2008 revivals were done and then doubled down on it. The production values on our version were awful, and borderline comical.

Then there’s this stupid idea of stripping the show over several nights a week. It needed to be on once a week. It simply doesn’t work as a stripped format.

That, and having the same events over and over, was a chore to sit through. Never thought I'd say that about Gladiators.

That, and having the same events over and over, was a chore to sit through. Never thought I'd say that about Gladiators.
To be fair, the UK version didn't exactly have a massive number of events either. They didn't use the exact same set every week, but there weren't the same variety of events that there were back in the 1990s. They had 8 events, plus the Eliminator, with 5 events being used each week. The 1990s version had 18 different events, plus the Eliminator - though some events were added & deleted over the course of the 8 series (i.e. there weren't 18 events in use at any given season).

Even so, 8 events, with 3 "rested" each week, is still far better than the cheapened Aus version that C10 stupidly tried to get us to watch.

To be fair, the UK version didn't exactly have a massive number of events either. They didn't use the exact same set every week, but there weren't the same variety of events that there were back in the 1990s. They had 8 events, plus the Eliminator, with 5 events being used each week. The 1990s version had 18 different events, plus the Eliminator - though some events were added & deleted over the course of the 8 series (i.e. there weren't 18 events in use at any given season).

Even so, 8 events, with 3 "rested" each week, is still far better than the cheapened Aus version that C10 stupidly tried to get us to watch.

They played Duel on every episode, and The Wall on every episode except the first episode.

Conversely, Collision only got used three times.

They also could only play either The Edge OR Hang Tough on a particular episode because they shared the same rigging.

I’d assume more games would get added to the rotation next season so we’ll see a bit more variety.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back