News Gillon McLachlan - appointed CEO of Tabcorp

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice sarcasm. Once again the afl has no relationship with Tabcorp as I understand it with a completely different betting company (Sportsbet) being it's corporate betting partner. As such how does it stand to gain from the prior relationship?

It's amazing how many people manage to work themselves into an agitated outrage about an ex employee with no current ties to the AFL taking another job in the sports industry.

Wouldn't your logic preclude him from taking a coprporate role in any industry that has the slightest chance of a cross reference with the AFL (e.g. couldn't take the chief executive role at four'n'twenty because he might get them the AFL contract?) Or is the betting thing that has you outraged?
Demonstrating Pratt-esque logic here around employment ethics

I don’t get why Hodgey is getting a free pass for all the loan shark gambling debt ads he’s doing. Really bottom of the barrell stuff.

Saturday afternoon free to air AFL as breaks is Sportsbet promos and gambling debt lenders.

f**k I had never made the connection between gambling ads & lending to pay back your debts ads

I don’t get why Hodgey is getting a free pass for all the loan shark gambling debt ads he’s doing. Really bottom of the barrell stuff.

Saturday afternoon free to air AFL as breaks is Sportsbet promos and gambling debt lenders.

Not surprised, “cross promotion” works anywhere really.

I saw this in the pub the other day. Since when did Australia start using the term parlay.

Also Gil can get stuffed. Never thought much of him. Certainly not the kind of bloke I'd have a beer with.
They've had parlay betting on horses at the TAB for as long as I've known about betting on horses at the TAB, be over 20 years?

'sport', is now just the product division of our gambling overlords

Don’t ever forget that the gambling overlords exist at the pleasure of our politicians and sporting leaders.

They could banish them tomorrow if they wanted to.

The gambling isn’t the cause, it’s a symptom: everything and everyone is simply for sale.

Nice sarcasm. Once again the afl has no relationship with Tabcorp as I understand it with a completely different betting company (Sportsbet) being it's corporate betting partner. As such how does it stand to gain from the prior relationship?

It's amazing how many people manage to work themselves into an agitated outrage about an ex employee with no current ties to the AFL taking another job in the sports industry.

Wouldn't your logic preclude him from taking a coprporate role in any industry that has the slightest chance of a cross reference with the AFL (e.g. couldn't take the chief executive role at four'n'twenty because he might get them the AFL contract?) Or is the betting thing that has you outraged?
Can you bet on AFL games through TAB?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t ever forget that the gambling overlords exist at the pleasure of our politicians and sporting leaders.

They could banish them tomorrow if they wanted to.

The gambling isn’t the cause, it’s a symptom: everything and everyone is simply for sale.

This is a really naive take.

By banishing the "gambling overlords" they would simply be replaced by even worse underground gambling overlords.

Thx Hamish.

You don't see potential for benefit to Tabcorp in hiring the outgoing head of the AFL, given his patronage of his sucessor? Bully for you!

Also, nothing to worry about with gambling involvement in footy, its not like that precipitates a massively increasing financial incentive to tamper with results.

By banishing the "gambling overlords" they would simply be replaced by even worse underground gambling overlords.
Look I take your point, but Packer and Crown seem to have actually been the worse underground gambling overlords before they were banned.

Can't stamp out gambling but we can regulate it, and part of that os forcing McLachlan to behave as if he had morals.

Look I take your point, but Packer and Crown seem to have actually been the worse underground gambling overlords before they were banned.

Can't stamp out gambling but we can regulate it, and part of that os forcing McLachlan to behave as if he had morals.

If you think turning a blind eye to money laundering and letting people play the pokies all night is the worse thing that gambling overlords could do then again, very naive.

The "Sports industry" and betting are not really in the same category.
Unless, of course, you want to lead a very young generation of kids into normalising betting as a part of life.
Take your defence and stick it where it hurts. There is a very real reason why nobody is liking your posts.

Would we all be as upset if an ex player went to work in a TAB?

Yes.

Nafe Brown, Daisy Thomas and Fat Brownless are have played a huge role in normalising betting on AFL.

Every week they are on the box trying to connect with me using relaxed, casual language, meanwhile pushing multis and telling me how I need to bet with all my mates.

Sportsbet marketing department is doing some of Satan’s best work.

If it means 8 year olds arent inundated with gambling ads Im ok with that.

We dont have cigarette and alcohol ads on during G rated programming. Gambling is just as damaging so should also be banned.

Our Fed govt no matter who is in power is totally gutless when it comes to this.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gillon McLachlan - appointed CEO of Tabcorp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back