News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we all get it now. You're against the Giants only playing eight games in Sydney and you think it hampers the Giants' uptake. I don't know that replying to every post with the same point over and again is going to do much to affect it given none of us are decision makers for the Giants.
Any discussion about it will be brought up or we may as well end discussion about our crowds and future now

Interestingly, if you look at the 2 expansion clubs prior to gc and gws, they had some significant teething problems between years 10 and 15 in the competition. Well I think Freo did, port definitely did when they had the tarps out and people were questioning their existence. Now both clubs are established and average 40k home crowds. Not saying the giants will ever get to that, but it's interesting there appears to be some growing pains around that mark. I still think a dual strategy of building long term in the west and getting some cheap and easy wins in more footy friendly areas in the meantime is the smartest way to go, but just personal opinion.

Suspect the SA media might be going a tad early with the hype

Ha ha. "Kicked the matchwinner" - when did he stick the boot into Toby? :D

But in all seriousness, we'll now have speculation about the Crows coming for him, I'm sure.

How long until Nostradumbass starts a thread on him in the D&T forum?

Big leek aleer got himself on the today show on channel 9 yesterday morning and even got an interview on sen Sydney's vossy and brandy for those that wanna have a listen. Good promotion for the club.

Name me one thing that’s cheaper in Sydney than anywhere else in the country?

Anything.

From beans in the grocer to insurance on a house. Let alone the price of the flipping house whether it be to rent or buy.

Unless you’ve lived it you’ve no idea.
I hear coke is?

Wasn't sure where which was the most appropriate thread to post this in, so sorry if in it's in the wrong thread. :)

Saw this ad appear online this morning which piqued my interest:

Screenshot_20240606_075034_Edge.jpg

Appeared to take me to the following website promoting all four northern clubs to newbies:

Haven't had much time to have a look but looks informative for those wanting to learn about our game with the view of getting them down to a game.

Last edited:
Wasn't sure where which was the most appropriate thread to post this in, so sorry if in it's in the wrong thread. :)

Saw this ad appear online this morning which piqued my interest:

View attachment 2011660

Appeared to take me to the following website promoting all four northern clubs to newbies:

Haven't had much time to have a look but looks informative for those wanting to learn about our game with the view of getting them down to a game.

I read about this the other day actually, it seemed to me like another stupid idea from a marketing company trying to be innovative, but wasting the AFL's time and money in the process. That poster there though is the least bad of the ones I saw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Managed to find some articles about it

In an effort to attract non-footy fans to the game, the AFL, TBWA and PHD are rolling out a new campaign that utilises “cultural influences” rather than traditional footy conventions.

The campaign – appropriately titled ‘Break the Aussie Rules’ – was developed in collaboration with the AFL’s media agency, PHD, and creative agency TBWA. The visuals rework standard football posters “with bespoke imagery and messages” – each one designed to establish a connection with would-be, non-footy audiences.

Lifestyle, fashion, entertainment, food and music are the cultural interests the campaign focuses on. There’s also a competition that is expected to give winners “a money can’t buy experience”.

‘Break the Aussie Rules’ capitalises off the AFL’s successful 2024 Opening Round, with the organisation’s executive general manager, customer and commercial, Kylie Rogers, saying that the initiative’s momentum will continue to grow in market.

“We’re excited to launch our new Break the Aussie Rules campaign in New South Wales and Queensland that is fun, different and will engage with new and casual fans like never before,” Rogers explained.

“The most authentic way to engage with new fans is to create meaningful connections with people and acknowledge and celebrate what makes them unique. The Break the Aussie Rules campaign delivers on this and will help strengthen our position in the northern markets as we continue to move the needle in this region.”

Audiences will be able to view the AFL’s refreshing campaign through social, out-of-home, activations and digital channels. AFL teams, the Sydney Swans, Gold Coast SUNS, Brisbane Lions and GWS Giants, are also sharing the campaign across their own channels.

Fashion, family, music and football is the new combination set to help grow Australian Rules Football in New South Wales and Queensland as part of the AFL’s new ‘Break the Aussie Rules’ campaign.

The campaign disrupts the football norm and draws on cultural influences such as entertainment, fashion, music, food and lifestyle to increase AFL and Club consideration among new and casual audiences and invites new fans to create their own footy traditions.

It was developed in partnership with the Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast SUNS, GWS GIANTS and Sydney Swans, and with creative agency GMR, part of TBWA, and national AFL media agency PHD.

The creative brand platform features a refreshed take on traditional football posters with bespoke imagery and messages plastered over the top that redefines football conventions and builds a connection with audiences who aren’t familiar with the code.

The campaign will go live across out-of-home, digital and social, while also coming to life via activations and Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast SUNS, GWS GIANTS and Sydney Swans channels.

Following the success of the AFL’s opening round held in New South Wales and Queensland earlier this year, AFL executive GM customer and commercial Kylie Rogers said that the new campaign would continue to build momentum in the market.

“We’re excited to launch our new Break the Aussie Rules campaign in New South Wales and Queensland that is fun, different and will engage with new and casual fans like never before,” he said.

“The most authentic way to engage with new fans is to create meaningful connections with people and acknowledge and celebrate what makes them unique.

"The Break the Aussie Rules campaign delivers on this and will help strengthen our position in the northern markets as we continue to move the needle in this region.”

As part of the campaign, the AFL is also giving four winners the chance to get the ultimate 'Break The Aussies Rules' matchday experience.

Kylie Rogers: “The most authentic way to engage with new fans is to create meaningful connections with people and acknowledge and celebrate what makes them unique.”
https://www.mediaweek.com.au/afl-break-the-aussie-rules-campaign-tbwa-phd/#
The AFL has launched Break the Aussie Rules with creative agency TBWA, national media agency of record PHD, developed in partnership with the Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Suns, GWS Giants, and Sydney Swans.

The creative brand platform is a fresh twist on traditional football posters, with fashion, family, music, and, naturally, football at its core. Redefining football norms, the campaign playfully undermines the traditional football code by with overlays of bespoke messaging and imagery.

The goal is to establish a connection with audiences less familiar with Aussie Rules Football and help grow the sport’s popularity in New South Wales and Queensland.

“We’re excited to launch our new Break the Aussie Rules campaign in New South Wales and Queensland that is fun, different and will engage with new and casual fans like never before,” said AFL’s executive general manager of customer and commercial, Kylie Rogers.

“The most authentic way to engage with new fans is to create meaningful connections with people and acknowledge and celebrate what makes them unique. The Break the Aussie Rules campaign delivers on this and will help strengthen our position in the northern markets as we continue to move the needle in this region.”

The campaign is live across out-of-home, digital, and social platforms, as well as activations across the Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Suns, GWS Giants and Sydney Swans’ media

Earlier this month, Red Rooster teamed up with Four’N Twenty pies – the ‘official pie’ of the AFL – for a limited edition chicken and gravy pie ahead of the Australian footy final season, launched via Leo Burnett Australia.

Last edited:
The more I think about the campaign, the more I can see how it could work, especially for non-sports fans.

I assume this will be finessed pending reaction/feedback from the market etc. Obviously it won't work on everyone but keen to see how this goes.

Prior to getting into Aussie Rules/AFL - perhaps I could've been interested with the promise of music, food, drink, fun day out etc and would've went to try something new.

Could resonate with younger generations as they typically go for experiences, so it could work.

Curious why the Swans and Lions are more at the fore out of the two state clubs when looking at the website, seems the smaller clubs could be overshadowed by the larger, more well known ones but anyway.

Last edited:
Interesting, what’s bad about it?

Oh the afl link giantyoyo posted was actually different to what I saw the other day. I saw the one similar to the media week article. Examples like the below though, I just feel it's pointless and nobody 'non traditional' will care, or know what it even means. Like 'it's a fashion show' with 'not' scribbled out? 🙄

Screenshot_20240606-134129_Chrome.jpg

Oh the afl link giantyoyo posted was actually different to what I saw the other day. I saw the one similar to the media week article. Examples like the below though, I just feel it's pointless and nobody 'non traditional' will care, or know what it even means. Like 'it's a fashion show' with 'not' scribbled out? 🙄

View attachment 2011810

The messaging seems to be on the mark for both, from my experience.

Not sure about the pic/banner for it's a fashion show but the messaging is very on point.

You raise a good point about whether non-traditional footy will care though.

Unpacking how the Giants’ wheels fell off after racing away as flag favourites six weeks in

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

NSW AFL REPORTER

NEWS SPORT NETWORK

11 JUNE 2024

The Giants have gone from the best team in transition in the competition to the worst as they look to arrest their concerning form slump halfway through the season.

Following a flawless opening month of the year, the Giants have only won one of their past five matches and are languishing in areas they usually pride themselves on.

Up until round seven, the Giants were the best side in the AFL at scoring points from turnover. From round eight onwards, they scored the fewest.

The figures are similarly disappointing for their time spent in the forward half, their chains to score and moving the ball from their defensive to forward 50.

The Giants' lack of punishment

Points Scored From RankTurnoversStoppages
Rounds 0-71st2nd
Rounds 8-1318th10th

AFL RankChain to Score %Pts from TurnoversD50 to I50 %Time in Fwd Half
Rds 8-1317th18th15th16th

Points from TurnoversMatch Differential
R8 v Swans-33 points
R9 v Essendon0 points
R10 v Western Bulldogs-24 points
R11 v Geelong-18 points
R13 v Hawthorn-22 points
It’s been noticed by midfielders Tom Green and Callan Ward.

“Our reliability and predictability with our structures in our system is maybe just going away a little bit,” Green said.

“We need to make it more consistent.

“When we do it, I think you still see glimpses of it, but we’re not getting it consistently right as we did in the back half of last year.”

“I feel like it’s still there,” Ward added. “It’s just not there for long enough.

“Teams do work you out, and maybe they have. But at the same time, I think we’re good enough to work through that. We’ve got the confidence we can work through that.

“We still believe our best is really good and that we need to work out ways in which we can get back to that and fight through teams coming at us as well.”

The Giants got a lot right in their six-point loss to Hawthorn. They were strong around the stoppages, winning both the clearance and contested possession battle, while their efficiency was also above their season average.

However, they struggled to find consistent forward targets, finishing well below their average marks inside 50.

Their woes were reinforced by their board member, and former Cats star, Jimmy Bartel showcasing how the club can be picked apart when pressure is applied.

“The Giants have to go back and have a good, hard look,” Bartel said on Channel 9.

“Energy and effort has to be for all four quarters. You can’t switch off and it has got to be on everybody. Because team defence is letting them down … It’s damning.”

The players were happy to take Bartel’s comments on the chin and accept that they have to do more, particularly to stop their defence from being overwhelmed in transition.

“I think it’s definitely fair commentary from Jimmy and, you know, he’s got every right to say it and I think he wouldn’t be alone in thinking that,” Green said.

“It’s something that we’ve just got to rectify and I suppose it’s a good challenge when someone like that within your club as well is challenging you that way.

“I think it comes from a place of, he understands that we can be better and we should be better.”

The Giants are still in a strong position thanks to their fast start to 2024. They sit inside the top eight and are set to welcome several big names back into the side over the coming weeks.

There are currently seven first-choice players – Josh Kelly, Stephen Coniglio, Jack Buckley, Lachie Ash, Harry Perryman, Isaac Cumming and Darcy Jones – unavailable through injury for Adam Kingsley.

Kelly and Buckley are close to a return against Port Adelaide this Sunday.

It has meant that younger, inexperienced players have been relied upon to try and get the job done in the past month. While they’ll no doubt be better for the run, they hope that taking into account their age profile will explain some of the inconsistency from a team that was a premiership favourite only a month earlier.

“I don’t think it was a step back (against Hawthorn), but we’re certainly not progressing like we were at the start of the year in the way we’d like to,” Green said.

“I think if you look at the ladder right now, the competition is maybe the most even it’s been in a very long time, because if you’re off by a little bit, anyone can beat anyone.

“Being a young team, I think that’s something maybe not appreciated or a narrative around us. On the weekend, I think we were the younger team and had less games experience.

“The gap between our best and worst at the minute is clearly too large, and we need to narrow that down … so that the games we get beaten, we aren’t having third quarters like on the weekend.

“There are guys who have played a lot of senior football for us that are out … and it’d be nice to have them there. But we have faith in the people coming into play their role.

“While we aren’t in the best form, it’s games like (Port Adelaide this weekend) that if you can put in a really good performance and execute our stuff, it can give you real confidence going forward.”

Ex-Port premiership stars face former club in Giants’ push for a first flag

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

NSW AFL REPORTER

CODE SPORTS

4:00PM JUNE 14, 2024

Port Adelaide’s breakthrough premiership in 2004 is playing a role in shaping the Giants’ push for a maiden flag.

The Power were on the precipice of glory for several years having built a phenomenal team throughout the early 2000s. However, it wasn’t until 2004 that they were finally able to achieve the first, and to date only, AFL premiership in the club’s history.

Two members of that side, Adam Kingsley and Brett Montgomery, are now spearheading the Giants’ push towards September and they believe there are some similarities between the two teams.

“I think the main similarities are the fact that we had a lot of great, winning seasons, but we didn’t ultimately get over the line in a couple of years where maybe we should have,” Giants assistant coach Montgomery said.

“Unfortunately, it does take a little bit of teething and pain along the way to learn the lessons before that ultimate success does come. There haven’t been too many teams that have bucked that trend.”

Kingsley served a long apprenticeship across the competition before finally taking charge at the Giants last season. He quickly proved his worth, winning the AFLCA Coach of the Year as his side made it within one point of a grand final berth.

However, Montgomery believes there are particular traits of that Port Adelaide premiership team that he sees in the current iteration of the Giants.

“I think most of the time when Kingers and I reflect on our time there, it was probably that what we were doing then still stacks up now,” Montgomery said. “I think almost every assistant coach we had went on to be an AFL senior coach.

“The main similarity I draw upon is that back in ‘04, and probably the two years before that, we had a style of play that just looked stimulating to the playing group. It looked fun to play and it was exciting to watch.

“They’re the comparisons with what we’re trying to do here at the Giants. It’s really important that your players love the style and they find it relevant and significant, but it’s just as important that your fans love to watch it.”

The pair have built a strong relationship over the past 25 years as both players and coaches. Although Montgomery admits he has noticed some changes more recently – “Kingers wasn’t quite the size and shape he is today, he was a lightly-framed on-baller in his day.”

But having both experienced what it takes to achieve the ultimate success, they are determined to help deliver that inaugural premiership to the Giants.

While Kingsley’s coaching philosophy prioritises looking at challenges week-by-week, starting this Sunday with a must-win clash against their former side, it’s clear neither wants to rest until GWS has finally won that elusive flag.

“When I was traded to Port Adelaide, the first impression was this unbelievable desire and thirst for success,” Montgomery said. “It’s this unwavering and unaccepting of losing type mentality.

“To say (winning a premiership) is life-changing, you hear that a bit, but it’s real. You carry it around with great pride and reflect on it quite regularly.

“We were in an incredible period where we just won almost every week. To get over that final hurdle was a massive relief, and I think what we’re seeing with Port’s last 20 years is that the club has worked out that they’re pretty difficult to win.

“(Adam) is a lot more serious than I remember him as a player. But his knowledge of the game, and his belief in what style stacks up, is unwavering. He knows his game inside out.

“I think Port Adelaide today is a little bit like us. They’ve played some really, really good footy and at times they’ve just stalled or showed some inconsistency. So, I think you’ll find two exciting teams on Sunday just trying to get their seasons back up and going again.”

‘It’s becoming a marquee game’: The Sydney derby’s hard-earned spot on AFL calendar

Jonathan Drennan
June 19, 2024 — 3.50pm

Sydney Swans chief executive Tom Harley has a unique perspective on Saturday’s Sydney Derby.

Shortly after retiring as a premiership player with Geelong, he began working for the Giants ahead of their debut season in the AFL. His post-playing career now finds him employed in the east of the city.

Harley witnessed the Giants’ transform from humble beginnings at Rooty Hill RSL into premiership contenders who provide competition for the Swans on and off the field. The 28th on-field instalment of the rivalry will take place before an expected full house at Sydney Olympic Park on Saturday night.

“The first thing about the derby is, save for probably the first couple of years when, obviously, the Giants were coming into the competition, they’ve become really great games of footy, two really good teams having a red-hot go and I fully expect that to be the case on Saturday night,” Harley said.

“It is becoming a marquee game and there’s genuine on-field rivalry, we both understand the role that we’ve got to grow the game from grassroots and above but when you’re talking about just the elite competition, the AFL competition is fierce, and I fully expect a really strong crowd out at ENGIE Stadium.”

Both the Giants and the Swans have benefited from the presence of successful academies that have developed some of the AFL’s elite players in non-traditional markets.

Kieran Briggs, Harry Himmelberg and Tom Green are three key graduates for the Giants, while the Swans boast stars such as Errol Gulden, Callum Mills, Isaac Heeney and Nick Blakey.

The AFL is currently discussing the prospect of a change in bidding on academy players, which could mean that the Swans and Giants would have a higher draft cost to secure elite talent that has come through their academy, potentially missing out on elite talent like Green or Heeney.

Harley underlined the importance of the academies in NSW and Queensland and sees no reason to change the system, despite the Gold Coast Suns securing a record four first-round draft picks from its academy in Jed Walter, Ethan Read, Jake Rogers and Will Graham.

“Look I’m happy to go absolutely on record with this: I think the academies are the most important game development initiative for the growth of the game, certainly in Sydney and in Queensland,” Harley said.

“The reality is the current bidding process and the belts and braces that are attached to that, I think are absolutely adequate.

“The facts still remain we’ve got 25 per cent of our playing list from NSW which means 75 per cent aren’t and if you extrapolate it back, the academies have been going for 14 years we’ve had over 5000 boys and girls through the academy, only 24 have been drafted and a half a dozen of those have had careers like Callum [Mills].”

“About point 0.1 per cent of players who have come through the academy have made it to the elite [AFL] level and those other just shy of 5000 [graduates] have certainly contributed to the game, they might be volunteers, they might be coaches, they might be community players.

“To make a snap judgment off of the four Gold Coast players, which is what it feels like, I think it would be really folly.”

Ahead of Saturday’s game, the Swans marked 150 years of the club that began in South Melbourne, marking the milestone by celebrating a record 70,740 members.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back