News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Kingsley poaches Tigers analyst, Jack Harvey.

Harvey has relocated to NSW and started his new role as opposition and player analyst, working not only with the coaching team but also the recruiting department, where he will support Adrian Caruso's team with analytical side of player acquisition.

Kingsley poaches Tigers analyst, Jack Harvey.

Good sign that he embraces analytics as part of a job and doesn't just rely on what he's watching, eye test can tell a great deal but it's always good to have more information available to him and not all coaches would embrace that. Wonder if Harvey was a guy he wanted to bring with him last year but there might've been a 12 month freeze on any coaches he wanted to bring with him.

Apologies if someone already posted but I stumbled on this Podcast with Finn Callaghan that was done in June.

I absolutely enjoyed this and it once again confirmed what a quality young man he is.

If you were ever going to choose a player to build your entire club around this would be the person, just a class act and amazing asset for the Giants ⭐

Apologies if someone already posted but I stumbled on this Podcast with Finn Callaghan that was done in June.

I absolutely enjoyed this and it once again confirmed what a quality young man he is.

If you were ever going to choose a player to build your entire club around this would be the person, just a class act and amazing asset for the Giants ⭐

Absolutely, AtG, him, Tom G and Sam T just inspire so much confidence for the future

Survey with over 60,000 responses.

pretty sure this would have been a complete reversal to what we faced in 2012

View attachment 1867873
View attachment 1867872

This is a fantastic result!!!

Reasons that have helped:
  • Last seasons turn around from 3rd last to 1pt of a GF
  • New exciting Tsunami style of play Kingers has implemented
  • Jacob Gaynor and the social
Media teams bog last season really captured hearts and laughs of opposition supporters

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently it's tab using these clubs in their promotions, but not promoting tab themselves via sponsorship on the giants playing jumpers or whatever. That's a pretty good arrangement imo.

Thanks Bjo!

Doesn't seem like a bad arrangement at all. I mean, if we must and if the club needs to diversify its income sources I suppose I can live with that.

Kieren Briggs (GWS Giants)

One of the surprising stories of 2023, Kieren Briggs came out of nowhere, shoved ahead of Braydon Preuss and Matt Flynn, and not only became the club’s clear no.1 ruckman, but one of their best in the competition.

If he can have a strong pre-season and continue to improve in 2024, anything is possible for the 24-year-old.

One of the surprising stories of 2023, Kieren Briggs came out of nowhere, shoved ahead of Braydon Preuss and Matt Flynn, and not only became the club’s clear no.1 ruckman, but one of their best in the competition.

If he can have a strong pre-season and continue to improve in 2024, anything is possible for the 24-year-old.
Such insightful stuff from SEN

What a load of shit. Any journalist would look at the Giants list and see Tom Green as a $1.02 favourite to be our next 'young star to win the B&F'. I would love to see Briggs win it simply because that would mean he has played every game for the year and with our lack of depth in that department that would be huge. I would put Briggs a $35 chance to win our best and fairest next year with at least 10 players ahead of him

‘That’s all I want’: Callan Ward’s premiership motivation at the Giants ahead of his 17th AFL season

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

CONTENT PRODUCER

NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM

14 JANUARY 2024

Callan Ward has never played more games in a season than he did in 2023, his 16th year in the AFL system.

Across 25 matches, the veteran midfielder became a key cog in a Giants side that exceeded all expectations in their march to the preliminary finals.

But as he prepares for season 17, Ward’s desire to win a premiership has never burned brighter than it does in Adam Kingsley’s second year in charge.

“It’s weird when you say season 17 because it doesn’t really feel like it to be honest,” Ward said.

“I don’t think I feel young, but I still feel young enough to be playing. So I’m excited.

“I think every AFL player just wants to play in premierships, but the longer you go on and the older you get, you just crave it more and more.

“I’ve been around for a long time and I came to the Giants for plenty of reasons. But the main one was probably to play in a premiership and I haven’t quite got there. So now I’m in season 13 at the Giants … that’s really all I want to do.”

And while the tortuous task of another pre-season isn’t necessarily appealing to Ward – “I hate doing time trials, I hate running in general,” he joked – the former captain isn’t lacking any motivation to try and take his game to another level.

The hallmark of Kingsley’s side in 2023 was the rookie coach’s ability to get the best out of his experienced players.

After a quiet start to the year, a move into the centre stoppages for Ward proved to be the catalyst for him and the team to improve their midfield efficiency.

“Twelve months ago we didn’t really know where we were going to go … with the new coaches coming in and some new players as well,” Ward said.

“We proved to a lot of people that we’re in a really good spot, especially internally. And what we’ve got at the moment is good players from 18-33 who are all playing really good footy.

“I think the game plan really suited [the experienced players], especially the midfield group. It helps when you’re winning as well, I think we won 12 out of our last 14 in the second half of the year.

“I knew we had a really good list and it was just about getting it all together. And you know, we haven’t had a change of coach in eight years before Kingers came in, so it was all fresh and new and it’s really exciting to get some new fresh game plans and ideas as well.”

Throughout their dozen years in the competition, the Giants have arguably never been better prepared for a premiership charge than they are in 2024.

According to Champion Data, they have the best depth in the AFL and have a league-high seven players ranked in the top 10 in their position.

To add to that talent, they also have a history of heartache. While the one-point loss to Collingwood at the MCG last September will be fresh in the memory, Ward has a litany of agonising defeats to draw on as motivation.

“Our first meeting back we spoke about the [Collingwood] game, it went for about an hour and a half,” Ward said.

“There were plenty of positives about that game. But if you lose a final by one point, there’s one or two per cent of things you can do better and you’re probably in a grand final.

“As a midfield, we got smashed on the day which is really disappointing. So there’s no doubt we’ll speak about that more going into [the rematch] in round one.

“For me, it’s probably the ‘16 prelim against the Dogs [that hurts most]. I didn’t play in the 2019 GF with my knee so that burns for the footy club.

“But 2016, up by 15 points or something in the last quarter against the Dogs and to end up losing that game. That was probably the one that really burns because I was pretty confident if we won that game we could probably go up against the Swans and beat them.

“That one burns, but hopefully in 2024 we can make it.”

Naturally, Ward has started to consider what life after footy might look like.

He’s been studying a trade in carpentry, but he’s getting a sense he might go in another direction: “I’m pretty keen to be a fireman, so if I can get there that would be good.”

But retirement is something that is still some time away in his mind. And while his priorities may have shifted with footy, he still holds that same youthful exuberance for playing the sport he loves with his 300 game milestone only five matches away.

“I don’t like to think too much about after footy,” Ward said.

“I’ve always looked at footy as something I love to do. And I think if you lose that love you shouldn’t be playing.

“There’s obviously other things in your life that you start to prioritise. I have a couple of kids now with my wife and I love spending time with them. They’re my number one.

“But at the same time, footy is super important to me and it’s the thing that I always want to be passionate about and I really want to get something out of my career.

“And I think that a premiership is the biggest thing I can get out of that.”

News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back