Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Correct. That's why I think the Cats will happily give up, what could be pick 18-22ish this year, and hopefully pick 15+ next year, for Smith.. That's not a high price.

Like I mentioned before, in 2022 Geelong gave up picks 38,48,55 AND 2023 picks 31 and 55 for Ollie Henry, a talented but unproven mid forward.

Big difference between giving up late picks and a top 10 pick. We wont be trading a future 1st for smith.

Smith is 23, with 100 games under his belt. He was pick 7 in 2018 and is a proven, line breaking GUN.
Yes, he's coming off a knee reco, that's a risk, but we know, at his best, he can be a top 20 player. And he's know where near his playing peak.

We cant get him pre-season. No chance.. Dogs wont accept picks 18ish and 36ish (our first 2 selections), that's way unders.
We dont have any trade capital, our best bet to move up the draft order is to try and trade up with a club such as Bris/GC/ESS/CARL etc who will trade out higher picks for draft points for father/sons/Academy picks. Still, its highly doubtful we have enough to get a top 10 pick.

If we cant satisfy the Doggies, they can always trade him to another side..
Richmond will have plenty of high picks to work with, and could force the Doggies hand to trade or walk Smith to the pre-season draft for nothing. St Kilda would happily pounce with pick 7..
Smith has no power in this trade, Doggies 'could' force him into a Richmond trade by threatening him they will walk him to the pre-season draft and straight into Richmond's hands anyway.

A lot of teams would happily trade those picks just to move into the top 10 of the draft, which is still just a speculative player.

2022 saw the Cats trade picks 38,48,55 AND our 2023 2nd and 4th round picks (31 and 55) ALL for pick 25, which we traded for Ollie Henry.
Perhaps you are new to the trade landscape but as it stands right now the doggies cannot trade smith to anyone - the player had to approve of the destination .
It’s rule 1.

Please don’t post rubbish

Go Catters

If the rumours are true we are looking at Martin i will be shocked as we don't need small forwards and unless we are offering base wage and telling him he is backup and will play VFL 99% of the time and he is happy to do that i can't see why he would look at us instead of someone else who needs small forwards.

Preuss is way to injury prone pass
We are looking at a Martin..

Just not Jack….

Heard it here first
Go Catters

Just not Jack….

Heard it here first
Go Catters

There are currently 3 players in the AFL with the last name Martin.

You just ruled out Jack so that leaves 2

Of the 2…

The first guy while a Champion of the game, is currently a 33 year old on the verge of being completely cooked.

The second guy would probably cost 2 firsts to pry away and is on a deal until 2027.

Hmmmmm….

Just not Jack….

Heard it here first
Go Catters

There are currently 3 players in the AFL with the last name Martin.

You just ruled out Jack so that leaves 2

Of the 2…

The first guy while a Champion of the game, is currently a 33 year old on the verge of being completely cooked.

The second guy would probably cost 2 firsts to pry away and is on a deal until 2027.

Hmmmmm….

I'd take Dustin, could give us a season or 2 if there's anything left in the tank.
It’s take Martin just for the melts

I was told Ricky Martin…

Livin lavida loca style

Also to rile up the Tugger tossers stealthing this thread

And yes I’ve had a few and was tooling around with threads bans for an idiot in this one
Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was just going through our player stats focussing on contested vs uncontested possessions for the year. I found it interesting.

We only have 1 play who has more contested than uncontested (Danger) and 4 who have the same (Atkins, Stanley, Neale, O Henry) with 3 others at 90% (Tanner, Blitz, Tyson).

I suppose that group doesn’t surprise me as inside mids and forward players who need to win contests…

From there I was surprised by a couple of things.

Mannagh was at about 80% which shows he is pretty good on the outside as well (I expected he would have been more even) and Dempsey was actually at 70% the same as Bowes, Stewart, J Henry and more than a lot of other players. Whilst Dempsey looks like an outside link player on the wing (which don’t really get to stoppages) the stats say that 4 out of every 10 possessions were contested - I think that really shows over time he could become more of a stoppage player.

The other outlier for me was Mitch Duncan…Only 1 in every 4 possessions are contested. (The next lowest was 4 in 10 from players like Cameron, Humprhies etc). Miers was 1 in every 3

Maybe useless stats but I found it interesting (was board on a plane!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back