Preview Geelong V Hawthorn Mon April 18 3:20 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After an 11-day break in this case and four games.

You clearly believe that. I don’t.
And preseason, and with an eye on future games. These breaks are planned well in advance.
I believe what I see.
Kolo did not play a droppable game, but who knows how the MC views things.
He is highly valued by coaches and teammates- that'll do me.

And preseason, and with an eye on future games. These breaks are planned well in advance.
I believe what I see.
Kolo did not play a droppable game, but who knows how the MC views things.
He is highly valued by coaches and teammates- that'll do me.
At no point have I said that Kolo deserved to be dropped. He played well last week.

But I’m more cynical about the ‘managed’ method than most people on here.

I think it’s a way for the MC to avoid difficult decisions. Not always, just sometimes, and this is one of them.

If I’m wrong, so be it. Won’t be the first time!

At no point have I said that Kolo deserved to be dropped. He played well last week.

But I’m more cynical about the ‘managed’ method than most people on here.

I think it’s a way for the MC to avoid difficult decisions. Not always, just sometimes, and this is one of them.

If I’m wrong, so be it. Won’t be the first time!

Its only that if they use it in finals to avoid saying a guy is dropped. Until finals we are clearly running a squad mentality and will rotate the 23 spots among our top 30 for the first 3/4 of the year i think.

I'm a long-time Kolo hater... He played an almost faultless game last week (for his standards).
No way he was dropped.
He will be back next round... Lock it in Eddie.

The Higgins being "managed" this year and plenty of times last year is sus as though.

When a player is managed it is not because he needs a rest to recover physically.
The purpose of managing players is resting players with the goal to be fit and fresh for the finals.
It is a clever strategy. Helping older players extend their careers while allowing others to learn new roles.
Benefits are better team depth and flexibility together with a fitter and fresher team.

Kolo was originally from Tasmania, wasn't he? So perhaps it was always intended that he be rested this week and play in front of the homecrowd next week.

Serious question: can anyone remember the last time a player of more than 50 games’ experience was omitted?

About 7 matches ago for the semi final:
GEELONG
In:
Z.Tuohy, E.Ratugolea, M.Holmes
Out: S.Simpson (omitted), L.Dahlhaus (omitted), M.O'Connor (hamstring), S.Higgins (managed)

And the time previous to that was about 2 matches before - our round 23 team:

Out: Shaun Higgins (managed), Esava Ratugolea (omitted), Zach Guthrie (omitted), Quinton Narkle (medical sub)

Serious question: can anyone remember the last time a player of more than 50 games’ experience was omitted?
Dahlhaus was omitted during the finals last year and again in round 3, when he was made sub.

The last player to be omitted and actually play VFL would be much harder to remember. Plenty of players have come back from injury through the VFL but not actually gone back there after being dropped.

I’m thinking maybe Menegola a few years ago after he’d had an injury-interrupted start to the year. But I could be wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dahlhaus was omitted during the finals last year and again in round 3, when he was made sub.

The last player to be omitted and actually play VFL would be much harder to remember. Plenty of players have come back from injury through the VFL but not actually gone back there after being dropped.

I’m thinking maybe Menegola a few years ago after he’d had an injury-interrupted start to the year. But I could be wrong.
Yes I should have been more specific with the playing VFL bit. If it was Menegola it was quite a number of years ago.

Yes I should have been more specific with the playing VFL bit. If it was Menegola it was quite a number of years ago.
Jenkins last year was omitted and then returned to the VFL

An issue the last couple of seasons though has been lack of VFL; even last year it was called off early wasn't it?

Jenkins last year was omitted and then returned to the VFL

An issue the last couple of seasons though has been lack of VFL; even last year it was called off early wasn't it?
Jenkins hardly counts, seeing he only played two AFL games for us.

Yes, the VFL has been interrupted the past two years but even before that very few regular senior players were dropped to the VFL, compared to at other clubs. It’s clearly a strategic decision by the coach/MC.

Jenkins hardly counts, seeing he only played two AFL games for us.

Yes, the VFL has been interrupted the past two years but even before that very few regular senior players were dropped to the VFL, compared to at other clubs. It’s clearly a strategic decision by the coach/MC.

Stanley seems to have been a regular in the VFL over recent years, even last year, when the MC has got sick of him - seemed we rotated him & Smith between the VFL & seniors for a bit

Henderson was also predominantly a VFL player during those last couple of years before we delisted him, redrafted him and he looked a refreshed player

Stanley seems to have been a regular in the VFL over recent years, even last year, when the MC has got sick of him - seemed we rotated him & Smith between the VFL & seniors for a bit

Henderson was also predominantly a VFL player during those last couple of years before we delisted him, redrafted him and he looked a refreshed player
Good points. They have done it often with ruckmen - Stanley and Smith, when he was around - and players considered near the end of their careers, going all the way back to Mooney.

I'm a long-time Kolo hater... He played an almost faultless game last week (for his standards).
No way he was dropped.
He will be back next round... Lock it in Eddie.

The Higgins being "managed" this year and plenty of times last year is sus as though.
Kolo can be frustrating as can every other player.
The problem is small mistakes in the backline cost goals and games.
Armchair critics focus on his mistakes using hindsight and comparison to some imaginary perfect player.
Small mistakes in the forward line also cost goal and games
Forwards regularly miss easy goals and give away dumb free kicks, but are not judged as harshly.
Recall the 2007 Grand Final : Cats 11.23 89 v Hawks 18.7 115.

Kolo Blitz and others have benefited from from the faster attacking game plan.
They can now play on instinct rather than slow , allowing time for overthinking.
I wish the forwards were instructed to : must kick at goal when set shot within kicking distance.
Too often low confidence kicks are indecisive, looking for a pass, then forced to rush their kick.
It would be better if options were removed and they were forced to to focus on their kicking.
Improving goal kicking efficiency is an area where huge improvement can occur.

Rhys stanley sometimes in recent years.
Dahl for our last 2 finals last year.

Gameday peeps..

Get over there

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back