Review Game days suck - Carlton prevail

Remove this Banner Ad

Mullin needs to go back to the VFL or go back to Mayo. Pick one.

Hawkins, I'm sorry but it's just sad at this point.

If Jhye Clark plays 250 games like his draft profile said, I will run nude up Moorabool Street. Charlie Constable showed more at this stage and actually had a frame to put some muscle on.

SDK is a HUGE worry despite what delusional people such as Benny Cass say.

Duncan is as slow as a wet week.
I had concerns on SDK, yet I thought he was quite good tonight, his brother is in rare form, but Sam showed more some really good signs in turning the corner imho

There’s no such thing as a squad player. If you’re contracted and you’re his age, you should be capable of playing seniors.

When you have the age profile of a list we do there is because you cant go full cleanout everywhere as you will expose kids too much. You need some 24-28yos. But a lot of them like oconnor should be coaching and leading and playing 2s.

This year is a wash, the only team we've beaten in 2 months is on the bottom of the ladder. Half our 22 is washed or will be in the next year or so.

We should be aiming to start a rise up the ladder peak the year of the compromised draft of the new Tasmanian team.

Go young, build up a core together top up once we have a solid group. be thankful we're not starting from zero. Accept that there isn't any short cut available. Fighting against it is only going increase the pain.
Sounds like there's only two drafts between now and Tassie starting to draft though. That's what they said on gettable this week. Your draftees from this year wouldn't have played 50 games.

I think if you want to be playing well when Tassie hits you need to add 25 year olds now

I'm not sure what he could have done to look more competitive other than punch his brother in the face.

Essentially what his brother did to him, not on ruck skill, but pure mongrel....the want to be bigger, better, badder.

SDK came back at him a bit in the 2nd half, but by then TDK had done the damage.

Pretty obvious if it wasn’t prior to this game that we aren’t close to contending this season. Last year wasn’t a blip after all but more an indication that we are a team on the wane.

We just have to now sort out who from the list to retain and who to retire/trade/delist. We now need to give games to Mannagh, Knevitt, Hardie, Humphries etc. Not all at once but give them a decent crack before this season is complete.

Conway has to now, body permitting, play every game in the ruck. If he’s not fit bring O’Sullivan in to play as a defender allowing SDK to ruck. He was beaten tonight but wasn't completely hopeless.

Clearly the priority needs to be rebuilding our midfield that is threadbare. Atkins is a trier but shouldn’t be in the middle as the first choice. In fact after Dangerfield it’s now hard to find a decent next mid. Bruhn will take time as will Clark. Bowes was awful tonight but has shown some promise.

If Stengle gets offered the big bucks then assuming we continue to tumble I’d take the compo. Use the two picks on the best 2 mids available in the draft or use one on Smith who is still young enough to fit the age profile we should be looking at. Forget Oliver now. We shouldn’t be considering anyone over 25.

Holmes was fantastic, clark really impressed me (that will polarise some but hes growing this year), dempsey is class and miers and cameron were improved. Atkins tried hard.

I thought our rucks were terrible-i know sdk had a bit of the ball but he got manhandled by part time rucks and his decision making is off. Need to try him forward or in the vfl. Jack henry off too. Blicavs looks to have really lost a yard. We have some tough calls to make on our talls.

I think we will still make finals with our draw but we arent contending.

Hawkins looks done and while neale isnt convincing me its time to let hawkins go out with grace and that might be his last game.
Duncan still did his usual classy things but it was obvious to me how many times he chose to go to ground and lock the ball in rather than let it out.
He knows that he doesnt have the pace anymore and this is his last year.
Tuohy too has lost a yard and is done as is stanley.
Rohan is very borderline.
Dangerfield was ok but our midfield needs massive renovation.
We have some of the cattle in the 2s but we need to play them (mannagh and knevitt in particular) and we need to make tough calls.
Guys like mullin and oconnor and rohan etc could all go but you dont want 10 changes at once.

But conway must play for the rest of the year.
Hawk is done-you try neale or you structure up smaller.
We have to bring in more mids until tanner is back.
Mullin is due a spell in the vfl.
Blitz is due a rest and id use neale to help in the ruck.
Mannagh simply must play and i think knevitt and humphries should get a run too.
Sdk needs to be moved somewhere or out maybe its time to try jeka or osullivan.
That game shows me why i wouldnt pay stengle huge $-id like to keep him but we have a lot of other more important list priorities than a small fwd.
We saw that game differently on multiple levels

Last game many insisted we HAD to persist with at AFL level based off 1 good quarter before getting torched by Papley.
He needs to learn football at VFL level.

Building blocks need to be put in place in order. Crawl before you walk as they say.
I like Mullin's career trajectory but I also would like to see him play as a full time mid in the 2s for a patch. Just see what we get

Holmes was fantastic, clark really impressed me (that will polarise some but hes growing this year), dempsey is class and miers and cameron were improved. Atkins tried hard.

I thought our rucks were terrible-i know sdk had a bit of the ball but he got manhandled by part time rucks and his decision making is off. Need to try him forward or in the vfl. Jack henry off too. Blicavs looks to have really lost a yard. We have some tough calls to make on our talls.

I think we will still make finals with our draw but we arent contending.

Hawkins looks done and while neale isnt convincing me its time to let hawkins go out with grace and that might be his last game.
Duncan still did his usual classy things but it was obvious to me how many times he chose to go to ground and lock the ball in rather than let it out.
He knows that he doesnt have the pace anymore and this is his last year.
Tuohy too has lost a yard and is done as is stanley.
Rohan is very borderline.
Dangerfield was ok but our midfield needs massive renovation.
We have some of the cattle in the 2s but we need to play them (mannagh and knevitt in particular) and we need to make tough calls.
Guys like mullin and oconnor and rohan etc could all go but you dont want 10 changes at once.

But conway must play for the rest of the year.
Hawk is done-you try neale or you structure up smaller.
We have to bring in more mids until tanner is back.
Mullin is due a spell in the vfl.
Blitz is due a rest and id use neale to help in the ruck.
Mannagh simply must play and i think knevitt and humphries should get a run too.
Sdk needs to be moved somewhere or out maybe its time to try jeka or osullivan.
That game shows me why i wouldnt pay stengle huge $-id like to keep him but we have a lot of other more important list priorities than a small fwd.
Comprehensive, thoughtful analysis.
While I thought SDK improved in ruck as game went on but overall we were monstered. While Conway ( and hopefully Edwards) are our future rucks, their injury history means we need to pick up another ruck.

Got to disagree with Clark. Definitely had a crack, but tackling was very weak, even allowing for his youth, and he was mistake ridden by foot. Needs to be much more prudent with his passing - his stabs are often to manned up player or misdirected and feel like ‘rush of blood’ decisions. Definitely part of our long term but needs to work on that.

Last edited:
The run home:

• Essendon (MCG)
  • Hawthorn (GMHBA)
  • Collingwood (MCG)
  • Bulldogs (GMHBA)
  • North Melbourne (Hobart)
  • Adelaide (GMHBA)
  • Fremantle (Optus)
  • St.Kilda (Marvel)
  • West Coast (GMHBA)

On current form, can only see us winning 3-4 of those games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure what he could have done to look more competitive other than punch his brother in the face.

Not get ragdolled by mids playing second ruck would be a start.

If he doesn’t have it by now he will never have as a player

Doesn’t appear to have that aggressive physical trait
Neither did TDK around this same time in his career I reckon. SDK has time for it, he is very skilled, but I feel that is what he lacks for his size and every time he drops his head which is a lot he has mentally accepted defeat. Imo.

Scott's press conference was really interesting. He knows we've got holes in our team and where they are.

SDK in the ruck was partly cause that's a hole in the team and partly cause he's been playing shit so try to get him involved.

I can see why they tried it (although if conway was fit and we didnt play him we are mad) to spark sdk but i dont think it worked.

Neither did TDK around this same time in his career I reckon. SDK has time for it, he is very skilled, but I feel that is what he lacks for his size and every time he drops his head which is a lot he has mentally accepted defeat. Imo.

If sdk had clark's mongrel he would be elite. It might just click for him soon but im not convinced it will.

Scott's press conference was really interesting. He knows we've got holes in our team and where they are.

SDK in the ruck was partly cause that's a hole in the team and partly cause he's been playing shit so try to get him involved.

Not sure how the ruck is a hole in our team when we've got 3 or 4 rucks listed to play in the VFL on Sunday and we have a KDP and utility playing that role in the seniors.

That was a real shitshow tonight. Terrible turnovers, fumbling etc. Carlton were so good at reading the play and coming off their man to apply massive pressure when we had the ball. They played harder and smarter.

The tackling was pathetic tonight. Ridiculous amount of slipped tackles or ones where the Carlton player could still get off an effective handball. Shits me how players like Holmes and SDK won't crack in and hit contest hard when it's on the line like Stewart and Atkins do. Even Clark goes in hard at every contest even if his execution disposing of the ball sometimes needs work. Don't even get me started on slipping over or woeful short passes at the most critical times.

Touhy, Blics and sometimes Cameron are slow as sloths getting rid of the ball and get tackled or caught.

Time to give some others a crack like Neale, Mannagh, Hardie, Knevitt etc and drop Touhy, Duncan, Hawk, Blics, Rohan etc.

Would love to see Tommy Stewart start in the middle too with Danger and Atkins. He's quick, hard at it and lays strong tackles. Time to change it up. Scotty better put a rocket up them this week as well. If you don't want to crack in and give your all then gtfo.

I'm going to preface this by saying I totally get the uncertainty, frustration & maybe even annoyance with Bowes game tonight, BUT I think a good position of that has to be directed towards the coaching group

---

We need to work out what type of player we want Bowes to be

Against the Tigers, playing as a pure midfielder he had 29 disposals, 9 clearances, 11 inside 50s to go with 636 metres gained

Can't comment on the Swans match, but tonight he spent the first half playing from the forward line and after Mullin was subbed out he was shifted to defence

When starting forward, he was basically at the top of the arc at every centre bounce and working from there - it's the same spot we saw Dempsey playing from against the Tigers, when he put himself back in the frame for the Rising Star...I know who out of those I'd rather see playing that role

And much like when Stewart was subbed off against Brisbane, he's been shifted to defence to fill the hole

Not sure we know how to use him, but seriously, we've seen what he can offer as a full-time mid and he's in that right age group & size for what we're missing

Its probably because with mullin and oconnor lacking in form we are exposed for a lack of small defender. I can see why we tried it but i agree with your point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Game days suck - Carlton prevail

Remove this Banner Ad

Back