Freo Mid Year Report Cards

Remove this Banner Ad

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
My mid season report cards. Not based on number of games played but what they have shown when out there.
Feel free to disagree, it's all subjective. Purely my opinions.

No 1. Hayden Ballantyne A+
Exceeded every expectation I had of him. Does the dynamic goal sneek stuff and so much more. Chases, tackles, locks the ball in, wins frees, creates turnovers. One of the most important players in our success this year.

No 2. Anthony Morabito B+
Steady year so far, excellent by the standards of a first year player. Can look overawed at times but doesn't mind getting his hands dirty. Shown enough glimpses of elite talent to justify his early selection. Looks capable of ripping a game apart when he puts it all together.

No 3. Byron Schammer
The race is run for Byron as an AFL Footballer. Sadly the game has changed since he was a decorated U18 and Byron doesn't have the tools to play it as well as he once could. Few players have tried harder for the jumper. Respect.

No 4. Paul Haselby A
At the opposite end of the spectrum to Schammer. Haze has the smarts to keep himself contributing. Never the fastest of footballers, the longest of kicks natural football sense has always been the go for Haze. Once our best in and under players he has successfully reinvented himself as a half forward. His strong overhead marking and sure goal kicking inside 50 makes him a headache for defences while his fast hands are still capable of feeding the ball to a players advantage.

No 5. Garrick Ibbotson B-
Played his best game for the year against Carlton. Has perhaps been carried a bit on rep but his skills and smarts make him worth persisting with. The Footy Dept have shown they want 22 smart and skilled footballers on the park, Ibbo is definitely both these things. Some questions over his commitment and courage but I don't think he lacks endeavour. As tonight showed his best is good enough to be a member of what is becoming a good team.

No 6. Greg Broughton A
Started the year as he finished off last year. Cool, calm collected, poised, skilful. Almost never puts a foot wrong. His 2 ice cool game saving marks on Steve J in the dying minutes against Geelong are typical of the man. We have missed him terribly.

No 8. Nick Suban C
A bit of the second year blues for Nick after a promising first year. Injuries have kept him from building fitness and touch and has only really played 1 quarter of excellent footy. Obviously a big part of our long term vision and rated extremely highly by Harvey and the Footy Dept. Hopefully will get some continuity after the break and come home with a wet sail.

No 9. Adam McPhee B
After a dreadful start to his 2nd stint as a Purple Warrior Adam has shown that tagging may be just the job he needs to justify his generous contract. Started the year horribly lacking touch and confidence. It's a credit to his strength of mind he has been able to work his way through the constant scrutiny and even the Bronx Cheers of local "Fans". Taken the none too shabby scalps of Hayes and Judd in his first 2 outing as a pure run with player as well as laying tackles and using his big body to effect around the ground. If he can drag in the odd big pack mark and keep the clangers out of his game he will be a very handy player come finals time.

No 10. Rhys Palmer. B
Round 6 saw the return of our most recent Rising Star Winner. The kid who blazed a ray of hope during the dark days of 2008. Harvey told him the game had gone up in tempo 5% in the year Rhys was out and that it would take him time to find his way and that has proved to be the case. Unlike the gut running tyro who would routinely gather 30 possessions he has been used off the bench more as a bit part player in the midfield. His last couple of outings particularly against Carlton have seen him start to hunt a ball with something like his old appetite. Almost like a bonus weapon for Freo if he can get back to near his best by finals time.

No 11. Des Headland B+
Started the year nicely as a medium forward. Part of a new look forward line that functioned beautifully for the early rounds till injury once again put him back in the shed. Was certainly playing well enough to suggest he could be useful at the tail end of the season but whether he can get fit enough to force his way ahead of Tyros like Fyfe remains to be seen.

No 13. Nathan Fyfe A
Another amazing gem plucked by our born again Recruiting Dept. Watching his skinny body run around on awkward coltish legs during the pre-season almost no one would have predicted he would play AFL this year but quality performances in for Claremont in the seniors and the loss of players like Headland to injury saw him given a premature crack at the big time and the kid has made very post a winner. Showing fantastic ability to read the play, a brilliant set of hands and good goal sense to go with his obviously great footy smarts Nathan won a rising star nomination just a few games in to what we expect will be a long distinguished career with Freo.

No 14. Anthony Grover B+
Long time servant Grover is still playing decent footy down back for Freo. Rugged, tough, staunch are the kind of adjectives that get used for Groves but he is also a good reader of the play and a fine mark overhead. Used to punching above his weight the addition of Silvagni as a KPD have enabled Groves to play mostly on players more his size. Has perhaps lost half a yard in recent years but still gives his all every time he plays and makes mostly good choices when he has the ball. Fine servant of the club.

No 15. Ryan Crowley B+
Some of us were unsure whether Crowls still had a place in the first 22 at the start of the year but a few games to get fitness and touch and he's back to his niggling harassing shutdown best. Never the best kick around or the smartest decision maker, the presence of finer skilled outside players like Hill have allowed Crowls to take a back seat in midfield proceedings and play almost purely as a negator. Doing his job each week.

No 16. David Mundy A+
A breakout year for the boy from Seymour. The laconic loose man in defence with the golden boot has become one of the competitions elite stoppage players. Using his big body and clean hands Mundy has been nothing short of a revelation in the midfield for Freo this year. Once the hard work is done around the pack he links up out of defence to send well directed kicks downfield as well as drifting down to take marks and kick goals inside 50. Part of the leadership group who is leading by example. A star!

No 18. Luke McPharlin A
Back in defence where he belongs Luke Skywalker quickly reestablished himself as one of the competitions premium, high marking, rebounding defenders. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to be able to make it through a whole 22 rounds in any year. His absence coincided with Freo's dip in form. We can't get him back quick enough and if he can stay on the park for the rest of the year it will haver a big effect on whether we can compete with the big boys in September.

No 20. Chris Tarrant A+
The renaissance of Tarrant down back continues. He looks so at home in defence it's almost inexplicable that no one though to play him down there earlier. Tough, fast, uncompromising, rarely beaten either one on one or in the air. Probably behind Lake and Scarlett for AA fullback but would be a lock if playing for a Vic club.

No 21. Michael Barlow A+
So much has been written and spoken about the humble, hard working 21 year old from Werribee that couldn't get drafted you don't need it recycled again here. From Rookie to possible All Australian and a roughie for The Brownlow in his first season. His contribution to our rise as a force this year cannot be praised highly enough. Mick is a star on and off the field.

No 23. Chris Mayne B+
While he hasn't kicked as many goals as we might have hoped Mayne's pressure and tackling in the forward 50 and beyond has been critical in our reinvented forward line. No one works harder off the ball to tackle harass and lock the ball in. He brings the ball to ground in the marking contest and creates opportunity for those around him. Desperately hope he can get over his foot problems and back on the park.

No 24. Dylan Roberton B+
Not many thought Dylan would crack a game this year when they laid eyes on his slight frame however eye catching work in the WAFL and a first rate work ethic and attitude saw Dylan given a chance when injury provided opportunity. Has shown himself to have a cool head, a tidy dual sided kick and plenty of pace. Definitely a part of the future and an outstanding pickup later in what was seen as a weak draft.

No 25. Stephen Dodd
See Byron Schammer. Thanks for a decent career. A very good lock down player and superb spoiler when in his prime.

No 26. Kepler Bradley A
Custodian of the special number. One of our Essendon reject brigade. The goofiest player in the AFL. Kepler has answered all critics with some standout efforts when given opportunity this year. Behind MJ in the pecking order as spare parts man come second ruck he has shown enormous heart and surprising skill all around the ground this year.

No 29. Mathew Pavlich A+
Captain Fantastic,Wharfie Superman #1, El Supremo, God, We are not worthy Pav. Whatever you like really. Once of the best players in the game playing a brilliant season and leading from the front. Nuff said.

No 30. Zach Clarke C-
Just the one senior game this year he was bizarrely played as a forward in one of the rare selection blunders this year. Looks a way off AFL at this stage.

No 31. Aaron Sandilands A+
Quite simply the most dominant Ruckman in the game and one of the most dominant players period. A colossus having the season of his career.When he holds his marks we win, it's just about that cut & dried.

No 32. Stephen Hill A
The skinny speedster who raised eyebrows around the league when he was taken at 3 last year has become a star and the first player other teams tag. His blistering runs through the corridor and laser guided left boot has seen even the one eyed Vic media singing his praises. Given his enormous offensive talents it's easy to overlook the incredible amount of work he does the other way. His elite endurance often sees him running out games, chasing and tackling right down to the last bell. More than just skill and class Hill has brought belief to the team that they know they have a genuine star under Pav and Sandi.

No 36. Alex Silvagni B+
Another rookie revelation SNOS has brought composure, a cool head and another big body to a defence desperately in need of it. No fuss, no frills, just gets the job done most days and has even kicked a couple of goals going forward.

No 37. Michael Johnson
Michaels stupidity off the field gives him a D- however in pure footy terms he was probably playing as a B+. Not as good as we know he can but providing a much needed role in our structure when the team was winning all those games early.

No 40. Matt DeBoer B+
Rapidly becoming a fan favourite due to his hard nosed attack on the ball and never say die attitude, the only thing keeping Matt from becoming a star midfielder is his below average kicking skills. A smart and determined player he is learning to play to his strengths and has excelled in a role that has really only come into our game recently, the defensive forward. Able to lock down on the oppositions rebounders, his ferocious tackling and quick, clean hands help him setup plenty of opportunities for scoring. Can develop into a first rate run with player.

No 41. Paul Duffield A
Another rookie success story, my appreciation for Duff began some years ago when I watched him take apart a pre-season scratchy against Port down at Freo Oval. A couple of inconsistent seasons saw him in and out of the team but finally last year Duff began to put it all together consistently. A beautiful kick off either side, nerves like a fighter pilot and superior vision have all helped Duff become one of the competitions premium rebounding half backs.

No 43. Rodger Hayden B
The dodger is having a mixed year. At times showing all his genius he has also unfortunately displayed tendencies toward poor decision making and erratic disposal. Like a Super Hero with his powers fading Rodger has shown his mortality at times proving father time catches up with us all. Still his best is very very good and he deserves to play some finals footy this year. His ability to be creative and kicks goals up forward may extend his time in the game if he can no longer lock down as a defender.

No 46. Clancee Pearce B-
A nuggety young man not blessed with great pace or elite skill Clancee's wonderful reading of the play and opportunistic knack around goal make him a handy spare parts utility for Freo. Probably behind a few but a very handy depth player to have around the place.

No 47. Jay Van Berlo B+
Good pre-season form and injury of senior list players gave JVB opportunity in a lock down defensive role early in the year and he's grasped the chance with both hands. Obviously highly rated by the Footy Dept to do a job JVB has been named on the ground whenever available this year. A quiet achiever he has drifted forward for a couple of goals.

If I was to take every rating individually I could argue that you've overrated quite a few players - but considering we're sitting top 4 halfway through a season everyone expected us to be bottom 4 in then it's hard to argue with the ratings of the guys who've been instrumental in getting us there. They're obviously all doing their jobs regardless of their personal stats (something the DeBoer baggers have yet to realise).

So for the sake of being really picky I'll single out the Clancee rating. No way he's been a B+ this year. IMO he's shown less this year than last year. If he's a B+ then JVB (who doesn't seem to have a rating) would be an A+ in comparison.

Still think you're being generous with the Clancee rating.

For arguments sake these are the alterations I'd make.

No 1. Hayden Ballantyne A+ (A-) - Agree that he's one of the most important players to our structure and to our season but he's had too many quiet games to be true A+ material imo. A+ should be reserved for the best of the best.

No 9. Adam McPhee B (B-) If Ibbo deserves a B- then McPhee deserves similar. Like Ibbo some absolute shockers but some valuable games too

No 4. Paul Haselby A (B+) not an A grader anymore IMO but a very valuable B grader

No 11. Des Headland B+ (B) did some good work early in the season but it was nearly always on the back of others work. Purely a finisher these days which is a little disappointing considering we never got the creator we paid for

No 24. Dylan Roberton B+ (B) Couple of ripper games but also a game or two were he looked way behind the AFL pace

No 40. Matt DeBoer B+ (B-) love this guy to death but don't think you can give him a B+ until he starts hurting his opponent on the scoreboard

Crowley I find hard to score because I often find it hard to judge what job he's been given.

Would certainly agree with most of it, a couple of imo's.

Ballantyne: A- : If he can kick 2 goals a game while keeping up his forward pressure/tackles and cutting out those few silly decisions he's the perfect forward. Still making that final jump between what you can get away with in WAFL and AFL.

Mayne, I agree with how hard he's working and there's no question he is a part of our best side but he still has to kick a few more goals to be a B+.

Silvagni, I really wanted to say you were being too harsh giving him a B+ but that's maybe down playing how important Tarrant, Broughton, Duffield and even Grover have been this year. Still he's been such an important pick up for us this year that I wanted to mention him :), was a bit 50/50 in his first game back from injury but tonight he was so good.

Thought DeBoer was great last night. Set up a couple of goals with quick hands under pressure and his tackling (7 tackles) was top class. Well done on the reports guys.

No 1. Hayden Ballantyne A+ (A-) - Agree that he's one of the most important players to our structure and to our season but he's had too many quiet games to be true A+ material imo. A+ should be reserved for the best of the best.

No 9. Adam McPhee B (B-) If Ibbo deserves a B- then McPhee deserves similar. Like Ibbo some absolute shockers but some valuable games too

No 4. Paul Haselby A (B+) not an A grader anymore IMO but a very valuable B grader

No 11. Des Headland B+ (B) did some good work early in the season but it was nearly always on the back of others work. Purely a finisher these days which is a little disappointing considering we never got the creator we paid for

No 24. Dylan Roberton B+ (B) Couple of ripper games but also a game or two were he looked way behind the AFL pace

No 40. Matt DeBoer B+ (B-) love this guy to death but don't think you can give him a B+ until he starts hurting his opponent on the scoreboard

Crowley I find hard to score because I often find it hard to judge what job he's been given.

Fair enough on Balla & Mcphee. Balla got the plus for the difference he's made to our forward setup and the effort he puts in. He has kept us in the game on his own a couple of times this year. McPhee I was feeling generous toward after his job on Judd. Quality effort.

Stand by Haze, he's quality.

Headland maybe, I have low expectations of him and he did better than that, you are talking about over the journey which I didn't take into account.

I stand by Roberton, has exceeded any expectation of the lanky kid who we drafted and apparently is an absolute A grader in terms of attitude and preparation. A real keeper.

DeBoer for me is B+ he plays like his life is on the line and despite not scoring much himself this year he's had plenty of quality assists.

agree with this, although id give ahse a straight B, and headland/deboer C's

E-Shed, great effort and good discussion...Don't agree with the scores, somewhat rose coloured glasses ;).

McPhee for example isn't a B grade
Headland did very little
Hayden, Palmer and Suban while trying hard haven't got pass marks yet IMHO
Zac Clarke should be a n/a

Funny how Mundy has gone from being underrated on this board to now overrated. 4-5 kicks a game seem to go directly to the opposition - not good enough for someone with his kicking skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scarlett's missed to many games to be selected AA IMO.
Tarrent is a shoe in if he stay's fit....Lock it away, hopefully we can talk him into another couple of years!!

E-Shed, great effort and good discussion...Don't agree with the scores, somewhat rose coloured glasses ;).

McPhee for example isn't a B grade
Headland did very little
Hayden, Palmer and Suban while trying hard haven't got pass marks yet IMHO
Zac Clarke should be a n/a

Cheers Sabre, nice to get some recognition for the effort.
I confess I did the ratings in the purple haze of last nights win so perhaps they are a little generous but from me we are having the best season we have ever had and everyone that's taken the field has contributed to that. I think everyone gets a pass.
McPhee is highly rated by Harves and all the players speak well of his efforts on the field so I'm going with that rather than our perceptions of him from a distance. Headland started the year well and kicked important goals, that's a B for me. Hayden's best is A+ so a B is a low mark from me. Palmer has been used sparingly and very intelligently by the coach. He isn't needed to dominate so they are nursing him back. C is as low as I gave pretty much so that's where I put Nick.

Every disposal DeBoer had lat night was spot on. His handball was superb and his kicking was good. Sent a lovely weighted ball in to the forwards over about 45 M. What's the problem? His disposal particularly by hand is better than Palmers. Almost never turns it over because he's smart.

Every disposal DeBoer had lat night was spot on. His handball was superb and his kicking was good. Sent a lovely weighted ball in to the forwards over about 45 M. What's the problem? His disposal particularly by hand is better than Palmers. Almost never turns it over because he's smart.

dont really agree

Does anyone have an idea on how tall Fyfe is as of ,19/06/2010? Is listed at 186cm.Fyfe has to be taller.I noticed last night when standing the blues ,Andrew Walker who is listed as 190cm.Fyfe appeared to have a couple of cm's on him.Could of been the camera angle,pretty sure it wasn't.

Excellent summary E.SHED I agree with 99%,I also dont get the hate for De Boer...he sets up so many attacking moves and his kicking doesnt seem to be a major issue,compared to what he brings to the table..team wise.His kicking is better than JVB in my opinion ...and knowone seems to think he has an issue !

dont really agree

Palmer gets almost no weight into his handball, they often drop short, he also missed a simple target by foot yesterday misjudging the weight of the kick.
By contrast DeBoer can easily hit a target 20M away by hand, and did last night. I'm not running Palmer down just pointing out that mostly DeBoer makes better choices and hits more Targets consistently. The fact that DeBoer has missed a couple of set shots and has an awkward ball drop is being used to tar his disposal in general play which is mostly excellent. Nat Fyfe who is a genius around goal can't yet kick a set shot reliably. DeBoer is a second year player who if given the chance will become a reliable high performer IMO.

I agree with most of the quote, I think the role he plays as a tagging HFF is perfect for him, along with Mayne and Balla the defensive pressure they apply is a big factor on how the team has been going this year. Not sure where Headland is going to fit in when he is fit ?

Great post.

I think you make a strong case for giving such generous grades to the new defensive forwards (Balla, Mayne and De Boar), however they are more of a "unit" in which individually they have not set the world on fire and have had their ups and downs, however together they are a big part of the reason we keep winning. As a group I would give them an A. Individually B+ for Balla, B for Mayne and B for De Boar.

Hayden is a tough one, coz I just love the guy and I always remember the good things he does and probably block out the negatives (which I am starting to notice more and more now). For his standards certainly down, and hopefully he can bounce back to finish the year off strongly.

Kicking is the worst in the squad and unless there is significant improvement will shorten his career.

Right now I'm of the opinion he's required in the team, but as some of the more skillful kids develop he may lose his place.

The new Troy Cook of the team

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo Mid Year Report Cards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back