Review Freo holds on against the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly on replay the umpiring didn't seem that bad but ... McDonald clearly played on at the end.

Saw this screenshot analysing his technique - it's not even close. If he had scored then we probably spend the last 48 hours analysing the lack of play on call intently only for the AFL to be comfortable with the call.

IMG_20240701_165651.jpg

Fair point.

I do admire how good Sydney have been with their list management over the last 20 years to keep themselves in the mix.
The attraction with Sydney especially for Victorian players is basically its better weather then Melbourne the swans are based what a 10-15 min drive from the beaches in the eastern suburbs.

You can stay away from the spotlight. That Melbourne would bring. As the swans have there nice niche in the sporting market. But still you can get away without being recognised 24/7.

And if you want to go home Melbourne is just a 1hr 30 flight so it's a stones throw basically compared to Perth.

Outside of the outrageous cost of living in sydney which when your earning 400-500k a year plus it surely isn't that big a deal.

I suppose everyone will whinge about the academies and fair enough but I suppose they still draft and recruit very well.

They cherry pick the players that would suit the culture they have built over 20 years and embrace them into it.

Honestly on replay the umpiring didn't seem that bad but ... McDonald clearly played on at the end.

Saw this screenshot analysing his technique - it's not even close. If he had scored then we probably spend the last 48 hours analysing the lack of play on call intently only for the AFL to be comfortable with the call.

View attachment 2036213
Shit. What a joke.

The attraction with Sydney especially for Victorian players is basically its better weather then Melbourne the swans are based what a 10-15 min drive from the beaches in the eastern suburbs.

You can stay away from the spotlight. That Melbourne would bring. As the swans have there nice niche in the sporting market. But still you can get away without being recognised 24/7.

And if you want to go home Melbourne is just a 1hr 30 flight so it's a stones throw basically compared to Perth.

Outside of the outrageous cost of living in sydney which when your earning 400-500k a year plus it surely isn't that big a deal.

I suppose everyone will whinge about the academies and fair enough but I suppose they still draft and recruit very well.

They cherry pick the players that would suit the culture they have built over 20 years and embrace them into it.
Sydney, like Geelong, are run as well as any club in the league. They also start on 2nd base, while WA and SA clubs start on home, all while crying how hard done by they are.

Just a thought. Perhaps the “northern states” should keep their academy rights. In return they can sit out of the first two rounds of the draft.
There fixed.
Making them pay a fair price does the same thing, the fact GC could effectively trade down one top 10 pick to draft 3 players in the 1st round is the straw that broke the camel’s back for the rest of the teams.

As a city to live in general, Sydney >>>>> Melbourne

As a footy fan specifically though it's the other way around

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a bit loopy, but yes. I really didn't think he should have called for it in such a dangerous spot. He was very insistent that Davies kick it to him. He was as much to blame.
So much this. I was furious at Clark, not Davies. Hard to blame the second gamer when one of the leaders down back runs towards him screaming for the pass. How Clark thought it was a good idea to call for the pass while basically running into the goal square with two Swans breathing down his neck is anybody’s guess.

So much this. I was furious at Clark, not Davies. Hard to blame the second gamer when one of the leaders down back runs towards him screaming for the pass. How Clark thought it was a good idea to call for the pass while basically running into the goal square with two Swans breathing down his neck is anybody’s guess.
Also, Clark did drop it before the spoiling fists got there, unlike some suggested earlier in the thread. He actually holds the mark then no one would even remember the moment.

Also, Clark did drop it before the spoiling fists got there, unlike some suggested earlier in the thread. He actually holds the mark then no one would even remember the moment.
The kick is one thing. The lack of follow up effort to try and redeem himself is more disappointing imo. I haven’t rewatched it, but from my memory he was no where near the guy trying to smother the ball, where Wagner has ran and dived in to try and stop it.

If anyone knows the timestamp I’d like to see it again.

The kick is one thing. The lack of follow up effort to try and redeem himself is more disappointing imo. I haven’t rewatched it, but from my memory he was no where near the guy trying to smother the ball, where Wagner has ran and dived in to try and stop it.

If anyone knows the timestamp I’d like to see it again.
He was never going to get there for the follow up contest as he was some distance away (what, 20 metres and a standing start? So that's going to be 3 seconds minimum): The criticism of that aspect in here was a little over the topic for mine. However; he still should have been trying because there was at least some small chance the Sydney players would make a mistake (Wagners smother attempt might have worked for instance) and he did have time to get there if there was a secondary contest.

The value in it is it's pretty unlikely he'll make a similar mistake again. If it had been pushed forward into the future we might not have been so lucky as to have the 6 points not cost us the game.

He was never going to get there for the follow up contest as he was some distance away (what, 20 metres and a standing start? So that's going to be 3 seconds minimum): The criticism of that aspect in here was a little over the topic for mine. However; he still should have been trying because there was at least some small chance the Sydney players would make a mistake (Wagners smother attempt might have worked for instance) and he did have time to get there if there was a secondary contest.

The value in it is it's pretty unlikely he'll make a similar mistake again. If it had been pushed forward into the future we might not have been so lucky as to have the 6 points not cost us the game.
He technically could have got there because Wagner comes from 20m behind him and almost gets there. Wagner is the player 35m out on the boundary.

Screenshot_20240702-115056.png

He then misreads the situation and starts heading left assuming it's a mark. There isn't a good angle of what happened next but I assume Davies slips because he ends up on the ground.

Screenshot_20240702-114820.png

that looks like a third of the ball in hands.

He dropped the mark maybe due to his momentum.

but a good footballer hold marks when hands can cover a third of the ball
He’s got his fingertips on the tip of the ball at full stretch. A lot of players would drop that in normal circumstances, let alone with 3 guys closing in on you at full pace.

He shouldn’t have called for it, Davies shouldn’t have kicked it, shouldn’t have kicked it like THAT especially, and should have followed up to try and make amends.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back