Review Freo holds on against the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a tough ask in only his second game in a pressure cooker atmosphere.

He will learn from it and get better for sure.

Hopefully Cox is back next week.
Shouldn’t bring Cox in next week v Richmond.
Give him much game time for Peel.
Bring him back v Hawtborn perhaps?

Jackson was manning him a few times but to be fair, Blakey running and off and doing his thing can backfire quite easily, and Jackson would have wanted to give the opportunity to expose that through team defence.
Wish Banfield would’ve just go to him. However him being cute with the short kick was costly tbh. Better off taking a chance at the goalsquare

Pretty sure it was Bailey Banfield for most of the quarter.
i think thats poor coaching. banfield doesn't have the pace to deal with blakely. banfield works well as a defensive forward when playing on intercept markers. blakely seems to be at his most damaging when hes playing as a runner. perhaps we should have tried fredericks, sturt on him

I thought Davies was actually quite decent? weird how some blokes just get written off but if I write off someone after 40 dud games I'm called a reactive idiot...

Agreed. He made a couple of mistakes but did about as well as he could on a ruck sized KPF who had little impact inside 50.

Enjoyed Darcy giving Grundy a massive bath. Half-fit Darcy too.

I know some blokes need a different path to find themselves or whatever, but I can't wrap my head around how Emmett was ever ahead of Sturt.

And Draper you beast.

LFG!
Two weeks in a row Big Onions has bathed two of the best ruckmen in the competition.
The mans a beast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I swear about half of Sydney's goals were on Davies or were as a result of a Davies clanger. Big ask for a second gamer. We have Pearce or Cox there instead, or even Hughes and I think it's am much more comfortable win. The fact that we were able to come away with the win despite that is massive.
Quite possibly but we managed to win and he would have learnt so much in these last two games. Remember Draper has already played 8 or more games this season so give the kid a bit of time to get the speed and decision making needed at AFL level.

Not one for having players injured but Banfield’s crunching tackle on Grundy showed Sydney this isn’t going to be a cruisy game.

It wasn't even really a crunching tackle, tbh. I think it was more from the way Grundy hit the ground considering they showed him on the bench pointing to his shoulder.

Just leaving the SCG now be still my beating heart
Someone who knows anybody needs to get me to go to every way again because whenever I go they win
I'm the opposite
Took the Mrs to the ancient Egypt exhibition at the NGA (Melbourne) as when I booked it i 4got 2 check fixtures
This means I missed the whole game, live
Last time this happened was against Melbourne in Alice Springs
So my narcissism means me missing the game is the deciding factor (check out Bill Burr's podcasts for his thoughts on that - great podcast btw) & yet I was not named in the best.
Oh well.
I'll enjoy the replay tonight

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We need a player like Papley. He looked so dangerous every time he got the ball.

You can always nominate a dangerous player and say we could use a player like that. You could say that Sturt was dangerous every time he went near it so is Sturt=Papley? At the end of the day we have to look at our forward line as a collective whole and ask ourselves is it going to be dangerous enough - for mine at the moment (putting Walters aside for a second):
  • Amiss - decent full forward with dangerous ground ability for a tall who can become an elite forward of the competition because of his leading patterns.
  • Treacy - good brutish centre half forward who can provide a get out of jail mark up field, gets up and down the ground and puts pressure on
  • Jackson - 200cm tall forward with massive mobility for a guy that size who on his day is unlikely to be outmarked or go into the ruck. Has x factor galore and can kick 4 goals on a good day as well as provide a get of jail mark.
  • Sturt - "doesn't miss" forward who plays well both as a leading forward and as a crumber. Has kicked 4 goals in a game a few times.
  • Frederick - endurance based half forward who gets to the right positions from a team perspective, but can be dangerous with speed and kicking when it is his turn.
  • Switkowski - speedy pressure forward who can sustain extreme pressure for a period in the forward line. Number of goals is a little down from other forwards in the competition. Can also pinch hit in the midfield to add speed.
  • Banfield - another medium that is good in the air and can run all day, and is kicking goals both on a lead and as a crumber. Can also play wing.
And then we rotate midfielders through as well. I think the weakest links are Switkowski and Banfield, but are they so weak that it is not good enough? I don't think so. Cooper Simpson sits as a similar player to Frederick and Switkowski, and with another preseason will be another option there who may kick slightly more goals than say a Switkowski.

I'm the opposite
Took the Mrs to the ancient Egypt exhibition at the NGA (Melbourne) as when I booked it i 4got 2 check fixtures
This means I missed the whole game, live
Last time this happened was against Melbourne in Alice Springs
So my narcissism means me missing the game is the deciding factor (check out Bill Burr's podcasts for his thoughts on that - great podcast btw) & yet I was not named in the best.
Oh well.
I'll enjoy the replay tonight

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Love Bill Burr.

You can always nominate a dangerous player and say we could use a player like that. You could say that Sturt was dangerous every time he went near it so is Sturt=Papley? At the end of the day we have to look at our forward line as a collective whole and ask ourselves is it going to be dangerous enough - for mine at the moment (putting Walters aside for a second):
  • Amiss - decent full forward with dangerous ground ability for a tall who can become an elite forward of the competition because of his leading patterns.
  • Treacy - good brutish centre half forward who can provide a get out of jail mark up field, gets up and down the ground and puts pressure on
  • Jackson - 200cm tall forward with massive mobility for a guy that size who on his day is unlikely to be outmarked or go into the ruck. Has x factor galore and can kick 4 goals on a good day as well as provide a get of jail mark.
  • Sturt - "doesn't miss" forward who plays well both as a leading forward and as a crumber. Has kicked 4 goals in a game a few times.
  • Frederick - endurance based half forward who gets to the right positions from a team perspective, but can be dangerous with speed and kicking when it is his turn.
  • Switkowski - speedy pressure forward who can sustain extreme pressure for a period in the forward line. Number of goals is a little down from other forwards in the competition. Can also pinch hit in the midfield to add speed.
  • Banfield - another medium that is good in the air and can run all day, and is kicking goals both on a lead and as a crumber. Can also play wing.
And then we rotate midfielders through as well. I think the weakest links are Switkowski and Banfield, but are they so weak that it is not good enough? I don't think so. Cooper Simpson sits as a similar player to Frederick and Switkowski, and with another preseason will be another option there who may kick slightly more goals than say a Switkowski.
Looking good isn't it.

I'm also interested to see where Stanley might settle.

The other biggie for our forward line has been the midfield kicking goals. Changes the game. Sometimes that is while rotating forward which you have highlighted, but it's weaponised the individual players and given them the confidence to take the shot.

I thought Davies was actually quite decent? weird how some blokes just get written off but if I write off someone after 40 dud games I'm called a reactive idiot...
Davies was not decent by any measure. There's a reason he was subbed off in a game where Sydney had three talls and we had only one other KPD. McLean had 6 contested marks on him. He was very far off it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Freo holds on against the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back