Unofficial Preview Footy's back! MELBOURNE v ADELAIDE this Saturday Feb 22, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
I must admit my passion for the AFC took a hit last year. Will it be revived? Will the change in coach and other personnel reveal that it was the culture that was the primary problem as the players respond or will we continue to be mediocre at best which would reveal that the problem lies with the list and far deeper systemic issues? I am open to being pleasantly surprised but am rightly very cautions.

For us to be improvers we would need some of the likes of Jones, Fogarty, Gallucci, McHenry, Mcadam, Stengle or some other of our newer and younger faces to really step up and for the likes of Milera to play consistently at an elite level and Doedee to find his 2018 form as he returns from injury. The coach will need to get the best out of the players, using them in the positions they are best suited for, and have a game plan that works and best suits the list. A good run with injury always helps, particularly regarding the key players.

This Saturday I am hoping to see some of the newer and younger faces stake a claim for a position, particularly those I have named above and also to see if either of Himmelberg or Frampton is likely to be a key forward with some back-up ruck responsibilities.

Would like to hear your thoughts about and hopes for Saturday's game and the season ahead. I would love us to have a big year because when the boys are playing well footy certainly makes the winter more bearable! However, for the first time in a long while I will not be making any predictions but let the boys and the club show us where things are really at.

The game MELBOURNE v ADELAIDE commences this Saturday February 22nd, 4.40pm (AEDT) at Casey Fields (Cranbourne) in Melbourne's outer south-east.

Last edited:

Looking forward to the selection melts when we pick our oldest possible side.
Why? Most of the youngsters will be playing in the U23 game vs Port, so I'd expect the first pre-season game to feature mostly older players. Of much greater interest will be the team for the 2nd pre-season game.

Speaking of which... when is the U23 game vs Port scheduled?

I may have been interested in trekking all the way out to Casey if I didn't have a wedding that day and if I wasn't going to Geelong on Sunday for the women's

If players skills are rusty (ie kicks missing targets) don't get too concerned, it's like that oval is the concentration point of every conceivable wind direction

This old Hobartian is actually residing only a few train stops from the game so I might go along, I might do the double and go see the women play in Geelong.

I am guessing the U23 vs Port game wont be on YouTube or anything?
AFC Media have live streamed it from the AFC website before, I assume they'll do the same thing again

Why? Most of the youngsters will be playing in the U23 game vs Port, so I'd expect the first pre-season game to feature mostly older players. Of much greater interest will be the team for the 2nd pre-season game.

Speaking of which... when is the U23 game vs Port scheduled?
The date that only comes around once every four years. (Saturday) 29th of February. Not sure of the time.

Looking forward to the selection melts when we pick our oldest possible side.
As Vader stated. This week would be mostly the older players. The 29th will the U23's with a few top ups like last year. Then Friday the 6th of March 4:30 at Noarlunga will be what they want the side to look like. SaNFL trials start the 21st of March which is round one of AFL against West then Port again on the 27th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As Vader stated. This week would be mostly the older players. The 29th will the U23's with a few top ups like last year. Then Friday the 6th of March 4:30 at Noarlunga will be what they want the side to look like. SaNFL trials start the 21st of March which is round one of AFL against West then Port again on the 27th.
Well, I hope people in here take note and don't melt.

At the very least we'll almost certainly see McAsey due to Hartigan and Doedee being unavailable.

It’s an idiotic assumption.

First off, Vader makes the statement without even knowing when the U23 game is on.

It’s a week apart so players could easily back up.

Second, we will use to try and field our best side so we get used to game plan, just like we did on the weekend and just like we did last year.

So this side will give us an indication of what we consider our best side. The issue is we thought anyone over 28 last year was in our best side, hopefully Nicks is different.

It’s an idiotic assumption.

First off, Vader makes the statement without even knowing when the U23 game is on.

It’s a week apart so players could easily back up.

Second, we will use to try and field our best side so we get used to game plan, just like we did on the weekend and just like we did last year.

So this side will give us an indication of what we consider our best side. The issue is we thought anyone over 28 last year was in our best side, hopefully Nicks is different.
First pre season game is rarely the side we will see round one. They generally seem to pick the strongest side in the 2nd game. I don’t think the U23 players will be in all 3 matches, and then there is those who will play in the All Stars game too (such as Sloane and Laird).

First pre season game is rarely the side we will see round one. They generally seem to pick the strongest side in the 2nd game. I don’t think the U23 players will be in all 3 matches, and then there is those who will play in the All Stars game too (such as Sloane and Laird).
Normally there have been 3 preseason games. Last year was the first with 2 so the dynamics changed. We played more of our settled team than kids like has been done in the past

Normally there have been 3 preseason games. Last year was the first with 2 so the dynamics changed. We played more of our settled team than kids like has been done in the past
There is basically 3 pre season games for us though with the U23 game now. No way those playing in that game will play both of the other two, and I’m simply guessing here, but I reckon the club would prefer them playing the 2 games closer to round one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back