VFL Footscray 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

TV coverage showing lots of senior Melbourne players in the crowd. No Dogs players? Haven't seen any.
I was there today, can confirm a large group of Dogs senior players floating around, Bont doing a lot of coaching as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coach Bev there ? Lade?
Bevo wasn't there, neither was Lade (that i saw)
Coaches in attendence:
Spang (doing coaching)
Martin
Varcoe

Senior players:
Darcy (both Sam and Luke)
Grant
Roake
Duryea
Bont (carrying a shoulder injury and/or sore from a recent operation)
Baker

There's no doubt that this team has a different brand to the AFL team. The players link up better all over the ground and move the ball with a lot of precision and they tackle better. Not saying that it is perfect, far from it. However, if this is the standard of football that the coach has instilled then he should be given a more senior role on our coaching panel. Over to you club administrators.

They defend different to the AFL team as well.

No backing off 30 m and the short kick is not allowed!

The commentary around West being too slow to play midfield at AFL level has irked me since he was drafted.
He is explosive and rarely gets tackled. He has burst speed over 5 metres which is what he needs as an inside mid.

Needs more midfield time next year.
Spot on mate, it’s one of those bigfooty myths that gets spread as truth. He’s literally explosive over the first few steps, probably slows down a bit over distance but that’s neither here nor there, he needs to play in & around the contest.

Good athletic profile with an elite leap and agility too, endurance has never been there yet but it’s finally getting to the level required.

He’s such a high impact player, I really do rate him highly I know I’ve copped a bit on here over the years for that opinion, but he’s a really solid B grade talent IMO

The commentary around West being too slow to play midfield at AFL level has irked me since he was drafted.
He is explosive and rarely gets tackled. He has burst speed over 5 metres which is what he needs as an inside mid.

Needs more midfield time next year.
Sure, he needs more time in the middle. However, I wouldn't get too carried away about todays game against a Casey team that was nearly devoid of senior AFL listed players. We on the other hand had 17 and the gulf between the two sides was stark as it could possibly be.

Poulter with a bag of scoring shots.

He's worth persisting with on that wing.
His direct opponent kicked 5 goals.

Melbourne clearly had their focus on more important things. Resting the likes of Brodie Grundy, Charlie Spagro, Josh Schahce, James Jordon, Tom McDonald and Taj Woewodin

We on the other hand had nothing else on this weekend. Or the one following it.

Sure, he needs more time in the middle. However, I wouldn't get too carried away about todays game against a Casey team that was nearly devoid of senior AFL listed players. We on the other hand had 17 and the gulf between the two sides was stark as it could possible.

Melbourne clearly had their focus on more important things. Resting the likes of Brodie Grundy, Charlie Spagro, Josh Schahce, James Jordon, Tom McDonald and Taj Woewodin
Slight correction. We had 15 AFL listed players not 17. However, it was a clear advantage.

Bevo wasn't there, neither was Lade (that i saw)
Coaches in attendence:
Spang (doing coaching)
Martin
Varcoe

Senior players:
Darcy (both Sam and Luke)
Grant
Roake
Duryea
Bont (carrying a shoulder injury and/or sore from a recent operation)
Baker

Probably sore shoulders from carrying this whole club.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Footscray 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back