first test of the aussie summer 23/24

Remove this Banner Ad

Well to be fair to Bancroft he is leading the Sheffield shield runs for the past two years

945 runs last year ave of 59 this year 512 at 56

Sandpaper gate or not he is scoring runs and Punter who is regarded him as one of the best cricketing minds in the country has stated he is the leading candidate..

if you want to go down that route of course ....
He looked second rate against New Zealand A couple months back whilst Renshaw made 2 tons and a 70 not out from memory against New Zealand over there on much tougher decks.
Blokes head just falls over every time a good bowler hits outside off enough, at least Renshaw is younger.
Bancroft will never be a test match batter, and the bloke should've kept his mouth shut rather than firing shots at the bowlers, still bewilders me why he only got 9 months when warner and smith got 12.

Bancroft will never be a test match batter, and the bloke should've kept his mouth shut rather than firing shots at the bowlers, still bewilders me why he only got 9 months when warner and smith got 12.
This bewilders you? One was the captain and the other the vice captain, Bancroft was a young player in his sixth or seventh Test looking to impress.

Blokes head just falls over every time a good bowler hits outside off enough, at least Renshaw is younger.
Bancroft will never be a test match batter,
Sigh ... :rolleyes:

Warner is crap against right arm around the wicket
Ussie fiddles outside off
Marnus fiddles outside off Knicks off
Smith walks across his stumps is prone to lbw
Head lacks footwork throws his hands can nick off and is a slow starter against spin
Marsh plays across the line gets lbw a lot tends to throw the bat too hard resulting in him throwing his wicket awya
Greenie bogs himself down and is prone to lbw and knicking off

At least Renshaw is younger ....yeah he's got issues as well.. crap against spin and Knicks off outside off but yeah he's younger :rolleyes:

Point is dude EVERY F**king batter has got an issue ...F88k what do you want Bradman?even the best of all time had an issue against body line bowling ffs

Okay Bancroft falls over ..so F88ken what he's working on it and has scored 940 runs in the shield ave 59 last year and this year over 500 average over 50 ...that all you can ask ffs if you get dropped go back to the shield work on your issues and score runs ...thats what he has done to put his name up....thats what you want isn't it from players who get dropped ???

and the bloke should've kept his mouth shut rather than firing shots at the bowlers, still bewilders me why he only got 9 months when warner and smith got 12.

Dude sometimes it takes courage to go against the status quo....and guess what he might actually be telling the bloody truth

Because if you think it was only Smith Warner and Bancroft responsible for what happened on that day...you have got rocks in your bloody head...sorry there is no F**king way in my mind the bowlers did not what was happening to the ball that they bloody bowl with..its just impossible in my eyes.

and no matter how good Starc Cummins Hazelwood Lyon have been...and they have been fantastic ...sandpapergate will always be a black mark over them ..always until the whole bloody truth comes out which it will some time

sorry rant over

Warner has no right to a cavalcade-like final home series. He averages about 22 in Tests in the last couple of years.

Ian Healy didn't get one. Border didn't ask for, or want one. Johnson himself went out devoid of fanfare after taking 313 Test wickets. Totally agree with Johnson's comments regarding Warner.

As for George Bailey's snide 'I hope he's okay' comment knowing Johnson's prior battles with mental health.

Pathetic. The sooner he goes as a selector the better.

Sigh ... :rolleyes:

Warner is crap against right arm around the wicket
Ussie fiddles outside off
Marnus fiddles outside off Knicks off
Smith walks across his stumps is prone to lbw
Head lacks footwork throws his hands can nick off and is a slow starter against spin
Marsh plays across the line gets lbw a lot tends to throw the bat too hard resulting in him throwing his wicket awya
Greenie bogs himself down and is prone to lbw and knicking off

At least Renshaw is younger ....yeah he's got issues as well.. crap against spin and Knicks off outside off but yeah he's younger :rolleyes:

Point is dude EVERY F**king batter has got an issue ...F88k what do you want Bradman?even the best of all time had an issue against body line bowling ffs

Okay Bancroft falls over ..so F88ken what he's working on it and has scored 940 runs in the shield ave 59 last year and this year over 500 average over 50 ...that all you can ask ffs if you get dropped go back to the shield work on your issues and score runs ...thats what he has done to put his name up....thats what you want isn't it from players who get dropped ???

Dude sometimes it takes courage to go against the status quo....and guess what he might actually be telling the bloody truth

Because if you think it was only Smith Warner and Bancroft responsible for what happened on that day...you have got rocks in your bloody head...sorry there is no F**king way in my mind the bowlers did not what was happening to the ball that they bloody bowl with..its just impossible in my eyes.

and no matter how good Starc Cummins Hazelwood Lyon have been...and they have been fantastic ...sandpapergate will always be a black mark over them ..always until the whole bloody truth comes out which it will some time

sorry rant over
An impressive rant I must say!!

Warner has no right to a cavalcade-like final home series. He averages about 22 in Tests in the last couple of years.

Ian Healy didn't get one. Border didn't ask for, or want one. Johnson himself went out devoid of fanfare after taking 313 Test wickets. Totally agree with Johnson's comments regarding Warner.

As for George Bailey's snide 'I hope he's okay' comment knowing Johnson's prior battles with mental health.

In the 2 years and four months since George Bailey was appointed as chairman of selectors, Australia has won the T20 World Cup, the World Test Championship and the Cricket World Cup.

His job is pretty secure, I'd say.

The conspiracy theorist in me might think this Johnson/Warner thing is designed to produce interest in the home test series following the world test final, Ashes and World Cup the ACB and television owners are probably worried about a let down.

And let's be honest it probably will be.

Reading through the article I do think Mitch went too hard, I think his key points are valid and worth the questions but the way it came out seemed way too personal and now that’s the only talking point.

Should Warner get to choose his own retirement date? Of course not. The bloke has been out of form for three years of red ball cricket and shouldn’t just get another string of Tests because he says so. The thing that helps him is that there is no new faces fighting for his spot, even with Bancroft’s good recent form (and Renshaw on occasion who was easily the best player in the A series) its very easy to say that these three guys barely contributed more than a wildly out of form Warner and Warner is still most likely to score of the four.

I think the Bailey question is valid too. If he is taking himself out of discussions for the Paine decision because they are too close, should he be taking himself out of discussions for the Warner decision when they’ve played a heap of cricket together and do seem close. It’s a legit concern. I’m fine with Bailey, I don’t think he is scared to make the tough calls. Has done it in the past. Selecting Boland jumping over Neser and Richardson who performed really well in the previous Test. Very good call in the end. Not selecting an in form Travis Head for the first Test in India because of worries against spin. Very brave call, didn’t work out. I don’t think he’s playing favourites personally, he clearly just has no faith in the next openers in line. I didn’t like his response to Johnson though, a petty remark and also made it personal rather than just doing his job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expect Warner isn't doing that, he is simply retiring at the end of the tests.

Also what is pathetic is writing a hit piece on a player as a 'journalist' because you don't like a guy.

For all the pearl clutching from Conn, Brettig, Horne et al, it's hard to disagree with any of Johnson's key arguments.

• Warner's current form doesn't justify his spot in the test side
  • Warner's sketchy record doesn't justify his guaranteed farewell tour
  • Bailey is arguably too close to the current playing group

This argument falls over when you consider Warner has been averaging sub 30 for the better part of three years.
I still trust that Warner's latest Ashes contributions did more to retain the urn (albeit not win the series) than any incumbent would have. Bancroft probably would've high scored 20 and averaged 9.

Now is a more appropriate time to hand over, but I don't think you can confidently say the prospective openers are pushing their case enough to even push out a guy (excellent at fielding too) averaging around 30 lately.

Here’s what he actually said -
I probably owe it to myself and my family – if I can score runs here and continue to play back in Australia – I can definitely say I won’t be playing that West Indies series.
“If I can get through this (WTC final and ensuing Ashes campaign) and make the Pakistan series I will definitely finish up then.”

Now you can argue given he’s still in the team it may put some perceived Pressure on the selectors, however, at no point did he demand to be selected for any of the previous series, he just said he wouldn’t retire.

The selectors, in their wisdom, have decided he was the best option to get us through to this point, I’m not sure I agree, but it’s hard to argue that there has been a stand out candidate demanding selection ahead of him.
Bingo. He's stated when he's hanging them up from his end. He thinks he's better than the next best until then but the selectors can disagree. Like any upcoming retiree in the history of any sport.

And a lot get given a fair chance before the end unless a young star is absolutely knocking the door down.

Old mate saying the quiet part out loud.
Problem number one for CA is Cummims. Given the Smith, Warner, Bancroft punishments it can't come out that he was complicit in what happened while he's still playing and things are starting to get loose.

Problem number one for CA is Cummims. Given the Smith, Warner, Bancroft punishments it can't come out that he was complicit in what happened while he's still playing and things are starting to get loose.

Maybe he wasn’t.
Starc and Hazlewood were his seniors by a good stretch at that stage of their careers; Cummins hadn’t been back in the Australian side all that long when the ball-tampering occurred.

If it comes out that Cummins contributed to the cheating then so be it; he can face the music like anybody else.

But until that revelation we have little reason to suspect a (then) junior fast bowler with a subsequent track record of possessing a moral compass would inevitably be caught up in such a practice.

Maybe he wasn’t.
Starc and Hazlewood were his seniors by a good stretch at that stage of their careers; Cummins hadn’t been back in the Australian side all that long when the ball-tampering occurred.

If it comes out that Cummins contributed to the cheating then so be it; he can face the music like anybody else.

But until that revelation we have little reason to suspect a (then) junior fast bowler with a subsequent track record of possessing a moral compass would inevitably be caught up in such a practice.
I hope you're right but for the life of me I don't see how a bowler wouldn't be aware of the condition of the ball being changed like that.

I say this every time but who cares who knew what? I'm sure dale steyn knew faf was cheating to benefit his bowling but nobody called for steyn to be punished and nobody calls him a cheat now.

The person who cheated was banned the leaders of the side were also banned something that has never happened before or since people need to get over it.

I hope you're right but for the life of me I don't see how a bowler wouldn't be aware of the condition of the ball being changed like that.

How obviously damaged was ball if the umps let them keep using same ball? Can't have been that bad I mean I'm sure others knew but your arguments not a good one when you remember umps didn't even change tampered ball.

p.s. how incompetent do you have to be to use sandpaper on a ball and do such a poor job they don't even need to get a new ball after you are caught, Bancroft probably deserved the ban just for being that comically bad at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

first test of the aussie summer 23/24

Remove this Banner Ad

Back