Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

Sullivan has banked a number of solid performances and was excellent in the last term when the heat was on. Other than the first half against Melbourne ( he faded yet again in the second half) Finn has not shown enough to suggest he can be a best 23 player.
I don't think either of them are particularly close to best 22, but no doubt that Sully is the one you'd prefer in the team in a final.

I don't think either of them are particularly close to best 22, but no doubt that Sully is the one you'd prefer in the team in a final.
This is where I am landing too. Sullivan is reliable depth, Fin is less so

He's contracted. He'll be at the Pies next year as I can't see another club being keen even if he wants to leave for opportunity. The 1 year extension early in the year was a bit odd really.

He be on the Trade Table at Seasons End

A cautionary/management tale.
Carved it up at VFL level last year.
Should have in hindsight leveraged that on a 3 year + trigger + incentives elsewhere. Could've effectively got 4. Especially somewhere like nm or eagles. Would've been best for both parties.
Instead club said hed get games/offered an extra year but he has stagnated
When he does play he's either out of position (early year) the sub or subbed off. First dropped.
Unfortunately actions speak louder than words and coaches clearly don't rate him.
Will probably be a bag of chips deal somewhere else next year but won't get many years to.establish himself as an afl.player.
Confidence is shot. One of my favourites but unfortunately reckon he's better off elsewhere.
Pies can develop guys like Allen Harrison demattia Jiath as future mids/flankers

Should have in hindsight leveraged that on a 3 year + trigger + incentives elsewhere. Could've effectively got 4. Especially somewhere like nm or eagles. Would've been best for both parties.
When he does play he's either out of position (early year) the sub or subbed off. First dropped.
Unfortunately actions speak louder than words and coaches clearly don't rate him.
Will probably be a bag of chips deal somewhere else next year but won't get many years to.establish himself as an afl.player.
You summed it up. THE COACHES DON'T RATE HIM. No need to add anything else really

Confidence is shot. One of my favourites but unfortunately reckon he's better off elsewhere.
Pies can develop guys like Allen Harrison demattia Jiath as future mids/flankers
It's only a cautionary tale if you believe that he would have been offered a long contract elsewhere.

He would have imo. I may be wrong but weren't there inquiries made about him?
Frustrated Here We Go GIF by Sesame Street

Trade period. Or I maybe misremebmbering. A rumour was he might’ve headed to join his brother at the dogs. Although would've thought they have too many of his type.
According to Twomey there was interest. But there's a difference between interest and offering a 4 year contract to a third year VFL mid. More likely two year contract interest - which could be why we rolled him over for another year - bringing it up to 2 years with us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt he would have commanded much at the trade table and expect less now - however, can point to reasonable games against Eagles and Melbourne. I think there is a chance another club gives him a go, but frankly that was extremely disappointing. After coming off a pretty good game against Melb, he had the chance to consolidate and improve his standing as a player. That was a huge step back. Big gap now between Fin and Sullivan as depth players.

We've clearly seen there is an afl player inside him. Just needs to find more consistency between his good and poor. That's his next challenge.
Next pre-season he'll need to take another step forward. Spend the pre-season in the gym and get stronger. Come back like Josh Daicos did in 2020.

We've clearly seen there is an afl player inside him. Just needs to find more consistency between his good and poor. That's his next challenge.
Next pre-season he'll need to take another step forward. Spend the pre-season in the gym and get stronger. Come back like Josh Daicos did in 2020.
Josh showed more early promise and it only took him until his 4th year to be best 23.

Josh showed more early promise and it only took him until his 4th year to be best 23.
Yeah but I meant physically. There was one pre-season Josh came back looking like the hulk lol Fin needs to pack on more weight and build up more physically so he doesn't get pushed off too easily.

It's not a 1 size fits all. There are AFL players who didn't even get on a list until they were as old or older than Macrae. Off the top of my head, Cincotta was 26 when he was first drafted, Barlow 22, Nick Hind 24, Tom Atkins 23, Marlion Pickett 26, Tim Kelly 23. Even our own JFN was 22 and Richards 23. Macrae still has another year under contract to stake his claim.
Big differencec is these guys didnt get a chance early like Fin and other draftees from U18s. We know there are players that get missed in earlier drafts but prove to be good enough once they get their chance. Its likley those players would have stepped into AFL earlier also if they had the chance. The U18 type draftees have that chance early and the ones who make it generally step up early

Figures are pretty clear that mids and medium small who are struggling to lock a spot down in year 4 rarely go on.

People were declaring him a total bust right up until he had a breakout year when there was a spot that opened up. I'd have confidence that Finn could turn into a player quite a lot like his brother -- an accumulator of the sort that every team could do with.

People were declaring him a total bust right up until he had a breakout year when there was a spot that opened up. I'd have confidence that Finn could turn into a player quite a lot like his brother -- an accumulator of the sort that every team could do with.
Those people were just wilfully ignorant of the traits he’d shown up to that point. I can’t say the same about Fin.

Josh has asthma and couldn't run hard enough to play the role that he's since made it in. He changed his medication and has gotten on top of his asthma. Finn will need a similar sort of physical transformation.

No - I didn’t say that at all. Of course they give their spots to best 22 returning. I’m simply saying kids when deserving selection need to be given consecutive games.

I do agree with you, a 3 game block should be backed in. Unless they can't get near it at all which is not case with Finn.

The other issue with him is I think he's the type who needs high TOG to grind it out. Not a burst type that suited to limited minutes he often gets.

Finns issue seem to be is okay even good at many aspects without excelling at anything in particular and we have players who excell at things in roles better then what he has shown he is capable of.

Sullivan has banked a number of solid performances and was excellent in the last term when the heat was on. Other than the first half against Melbourne ( he faded yet again in the second half) Finn has not shown enough to suggest he can be a best 23 player.

Imo Sullivan has fell away the last few games. Has had some good moments in them though but is definitely a depth type at this stage will make way for Jordy and Pendles id have thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

Back