Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like he will be part of the trade for Bailey Smith at the doggies…

There was no need to extend him at all - they could have just let his contract run out at the end of this season.
The question was whether coaches rated him highly. One year extension doesn't seem to be that high.

The question was whether coaches rated him highly. One year extension doesn't seem to be that high.

This time last year he was considered a DELIST by many.

Not only did he get a contract for 24 but was extended into 25 earlier this year.
If you think that’s evidence of NO confidence by Coaches I can’t agree.

Last edited:
All sides need some depth. Fin is probably seen as very good depth but he needs to be able to play a specific role and do it well, I don't think they rate his role playing ability as high as his depth ability, if that makes sense.

All sides need some depth. Fin is probably seen as very good depth but he needs to be able to play a specific role and do it well, I don't think they rate his role playing ability as high as his depth ability, if that makes sense.
I am all for depth and not saying he isn't.

Just believe he hasn't been given full game chances along with the more senior players to see his real worth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The weird thing about Fin is that despite all the hype, he's yet to really have any sort of breakout game in his 15 AFL games. Had some okay games in 2021, but that's nearly 3 years ago. Doesn't help when he's been the sub for a lot of those games but despite absolutely smashing it up in the seconds, he's still an unknown quantity at AFL level.

He's gonna have to seriously make use of a senior opportunity if he plays in the future, because it's pretty obvious he's not an automatic in, even with two key midfielders being injured

Correct - if he can't get a game now, the club don't see him as part of their future plans.
Really disappointing as he should get a decent crack at senior footy. Not bits and pieces. Especially considering the form and injuries of some players.
Maybe they want a look at Sulli. Doesnt meat Finn doesnt have a future with us.

This time last year he was considered a DELIST by many.

Not only did he get a contract for 24 but was extended into 25 earlier this year.
If you think that’s evidence of NO confidence by Coaches I can’t agree.
He had signed a contract for 2024 before last year.

I don’t think his career is over. Sullivan’s role is more closely aligned to what the team needs. Fin still serves a purpose and has a year and a half to prove why.

This microanalysis is ridiculous.

The weird thing about Fin is that despite all the hype, he's yet to really have any sort of breakout game in his 15 AFL games. Had some okay games in 2021, but that's nearly 3 years ago. Doesn't help when he's been the sub for a lot of those games but despite absolutely smashing it up in the seconds, he's still an unknown quantity at AFL level.

He's gonna have to seriously make use of a senior opportunity if he plays in the future, because it's pretty obvious he's not an automatic in, even with two key midfielders being injured
When was his last full game? 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back