F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Contracts can always be broken, but I think that's the thing - the bigger teams haven't come calling.

It appears that Albon has been put in the same basket as Gasly. Whether that's fair or not is another thing, Gasly got dumped from RB and excelled in lesser cars, Albon's doing the same.

But RB and by extension the other top teams seem to hold on that these guys went to water when they had a good car against a strong teammate.

And to be fair, it's easy to look like a star when your teammate goes from Max Verstappen to Daniil Kvyat and Logan Sargeant.
I think it's more about Verstappen, Hamilton and Sainz than Albon himself. I imagine this news probably confirms that Verstappen and Sainz will be at Red Bull and Mercedes in some order and that Perez will likely be retained or replaced internally.

Process of elimination for Albon leaves him Williams, Alpine, Haas and maybe Sauber. May as well stay with Williams if that's the case. Secure your future and see what the landscape looks like in 2027.

I think it's more about Verstappen, Hamilton and Sainz than Albon himself. I imagine this news probably confirms that Verstappen and Sainz will be at Red Bull and Mercedes in some order and that Perez will likely be retained or replaced internally.

Process of elimination for Albon leaves him Williams, Alpine, Haas and maybe Sauber. May as well stay with Williams if that's the case. Secure your future and see what the landscape looks like in 2027.
if newey happened to return to williams, staying there might be pulling the right lever.

I think this makes a lot of sense for both parties. I know we want to see more F2 drivers get a shot but there aren't really any banging down the door.

It's a meh move. Better than going for someone like Magnussen or Hulkenberg but not that much.

My guess for driver pairings in 2025... Note that the big unknown here is Sainz. Where he lands could change the scenario significantly. Bolding indicates that the contract has already been announced.

Ferrari: LeClerc / Hamilton
McLaren: Norris/Piastri
RB: Tsunoda/Lawson
Mercedes: Russell/Antonelli
Haas: Bearman/Zhou
Williams: Albon/Bottas
Alpine: Ocon/Gasly
Aston Martin: Alonso/Stroll
Sauber: Hulkenberg/Sainz
Red Bull: Verstappen/Perez

Missing from the 2024 grid: Ricciardo, Sargeant, Magnussen

Likely alternatives...
If Sainz goes to Mercedes, then Antonelli goes to Williams, and Bottas remains at Sauber.
If Sainz goes to Red Bull, then Perez probably goes to Sauber.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bearman is 20th in F2, shouldn't be getting a gig based on that.
Early doors, but he is pretty talented.

Neither him or Kimi have had much luck in F2 thus far - remembering also Bearman was on F2 pole for Jeddah when he got subbed into Ferrari.

Hard to say whether the engine stall in F2 feature race was his fault or not. Seems like it might have been.

Monaco will be a good barometer, both should be showcasing their talents this weekend if they're up to it.

I don't think he's as bad as being the next Max Chilton but he won't be as good as Lando, deserves a shot in a Haas but then again so does Doohan, Drugovich, Pourchaire.

Maybe he can be the next incredibly overrated Brit that isn't actually that good, like George Russell

My guess for driver pairings in 2025... Note that the big unknown here is Sainz. Where he lands could change the scenario significantly. Bolding indicates that the contract has already been announced.

Ferrari: LeClerc / Hamilton
McLaren: Norris/Piastri
RB: Tsunoda/Lawson
Mercedes: Russell/Antonelli
Haas: Bearman/Zhou
Williams: Albon/Bottas
Alpine: Ocon/Gasly
Aston Martin: Alonso/Stroll
Sauber: Hulkenberg/Sainz
Red Bull: Verstappen/Perez

Missing from the 2024 grid: Ricciardo, Sargeant, Magnussen

Likely alternatives...
If Sainz goes to Mercedes, then Antonelli goes to Williams, and Bottas remains at Sauber.
If Sainz goes to Red Bull, then Perez probably goes to Sauber.
somehow think sainz will end up at benz.

Neither him or Kimi have had much luck in F2 thus far - remembering also Bearman was on F2 pole for Jeddah when he got subbed into Ferrari.

Hard to say whether the engine stall in F2 feature race was his fault or not. Seems like it might have been.

Monaco will be a good barometer, both should be showcasing their talents this weekend if they're up to it.

I don't think he's as bad as being the next Max Chilton but he won't be as good as Lando, deserves a shot in a Haas but then again so does Doohan, Drugovich, Pourchaire.

Maybe he can be the next incredibly overrated Brit that isn't actually that good, like George Russell
You make your own luck. He was on pole on the weekend but slipped back (admittedly had an issue in the pits) and was on the back foot all race. Seems like a bit of a Hulk in that he can qualify but his race craft is below average. He causes crashes as well. He lost points in Melb for driving Duerksen off track for instance.

That’s harsh.
Russell is consistently beating a 7 time world champ.

McLaren Senna inspired livery for Monaco.

w4onzz7m2s1d1.jpg

You make your own luck. He was on pole on the weekend but slipped back (admittedly had an issue in the pits) and was on the back foot all race. Seems like a bit of a Hulk in that he can qualify but his race craft is below average. He causes crashes as well. He lost points in Melb for driving Duerksen off track for instance.
He's rough around the edges but I still reckon the talent is there.

It's the classic, you can tidy up speed but you can't speed up tidiness.

Such a fun watch. If you dont like stroll you'll enjoy this

Sent from my SM-A556E using Tapatalk

the guys a bit of a tool (host) but geez he aint wrong too much there.

Solid window likcing being had there.

News Corpse are reporting that Red Bull have offered Perez a 12-month contract. He hasn't signed yet, as he wants a 2-year deal. Marko thinks he'll slack off if he's given a multi-year deal, and apparently isn't budging on 12 months.

Given that the main reason for signing Ricciardo was as a potential Perez replacement, you'd think this is a nail in the coffin of Ricciardo's F1 career. Yes, Ricciardo has definitely helped make RB more competitive, by giving them much better driver feedback, helping them to improve the car... but his lack of on-track performance must surely mean that the end is nigh.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/motor...e/news-story/75a49ef293960948dcfb3132b385ec5e

Remove this Banner Ad

Back