Essendon's new coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Choco is my pick. An experienced coach who can get the job done. Had some tough years at Port but overall did an excellent job winning a premiership and making the GF in 07'. Alan Richardson would also be in the running but could turn out to be another Knights, at least you know Choco doesn't **** around.

Rather not, might as well just appoint Hird. I wiould be looking at experienced assistants. Does Peter Sumich have a desire to coach?

Um Caraccella is a very experianced assistant and a infinite times better option then Sumich.

I heard Jobe has the desire to become the next Blight:thumbsu:

I cant see the bombers gambling on a rookie coach, the decision to sack Knights has cost the club $800k, they will go for an experienced proven coach

Chocco for mine, IMO he will do a pretty good job

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant see the bombers gambling on a rookie coach, the decision to sack Knights has cost the club $800k, they will go for an experienced proven coach

Chocco for mine, IMO he will do a pretty good job
I reckon they should take the punt on Hird and just rebuild from the ground up.

It feels as if Knights predicted the list was a bit further developed than what they actually are and more structurally sound that what they were. I also think there was a bit of underestimation of the impacts of the losses of Lucas, Lloyd, Lovett et al as well

With that said, they are still an incredibly young team, and they have the key posts almost completely ticked off for the next 10 years (Pears, Hooker, Hurley, Gumbleton + more). Just need some genuine, honest midfielders that will perform week in week out, which I feel they can find in the upcoming drafts, especially should they choose to offload some older aged talent.

They have the possibility to secure a pretty bright future even amidst the compromised drafts if they adopt an agressive stance toward drafting and trading.

They don't necessarily need to bottom out, but they need to shelve trading policies that see players like Williams being brought in.

Really depends on the set-up. If it was a Collingwood-style takeover with Hird there, I'd have no problem with Matthews there for 1-2 years.
But he didn't want to stick around at Brisbane to groom Voss, can't seem him doing it at Essendon if the arrangement is that he'd be mentoring Hird for a while before being moved on.

I would be happy with Chocco on a 2 year contract with Hird as Assistant coach then to take over after the 2 years.

or

Brenton Sanderson, that guy oozes class.

cant see chocho being happy with the top job & having to hand over after a couple seasons - he's still young enough to go on for years

so if chocho's not offered the job as a long term prospect then more likely for me would be a richardson type as head coach with chocho/laidley (or both) assisting

For those wanting Hird, aren't you concerned that he hasn't coached in any capacity? I reckon the days of appointing coaches without apprenticeships are over as the recent punts have ended in tears fairly quickly. Tim Watson is one who comes to mind but I think there were others after him as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon's new coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back